Author Topic: Posting Attachments/Images - PLEASE READ  (Read 532 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Posting Attachments/Images - PLEASE READ
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
For those who have been posting attachments and images using the site's "upload" function vs linking to an image hosting site, please refrain from doing so for the time being. The upload folder is full, and until we can verify if there is physical space left on the server, we can't increase the folder space from this end for fear of crashing something. For anyone having avatar trouble, this may also be why.

At this point in time, because we don't really have a designated person to access and make changes on the server side, it's probably best to just use image hosting to post images, and save the server space for avatars (if we can free up or increase space).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Posting Attachments/Images - PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:48:06 PM »
Delete all of mine then or, if I can, I will.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »
Is there any way that we can see what photos we've uploaded and nuke them ourselves?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
Good question on nuking attachments yourselves. I'll try and log in with the test account and see if anything shows up. I'm inclined to say "no" though as it's probably tied to editing time.

Does anyone here have, or administer (from the server side) a Simple Machines forum?

I simply have no idea of what things look like on that other side, so am hesitant to make changes on this side for fear of glitching something. My initial thoughts are that if we are on some hard physical limit (or amount of space that Oleg purchased) we'll just have to turn off attachment posting and then maybe delete old images from say, 2007, which would free up enough space to allow continued avatars. Or if it's a matter of purchasing more space on the server, we'd have to contact Oleg and I'd be willing to pay for some more gigs myself if we could make that work.

If there's a ton of space available now, we just double the space allocation on this side for the attachment directory, then not worry about it again for another 10 years. :)

Again, there's a bunch of quick and easy "fixes" available on this side of the forum, but with zero knowledge of what things look like on the other side, I'm hesitant to change anything here as far as storage space increases for fear of causing an error on the server side.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »
I had no idea we could upload a pic (other than our avatar)  I've seen it on other forums.  Is that a new feature here?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
I had no idea we could upload a pic (other than our avatar)  I've seen it on other forums.  Is that a new feature here?

No, it was activated a couple of years after the forum started, mostly to allow avatars (which we didn't have when APS started in 2005). The attachment size has always been limited to something small, like 128K max, but I guess over the years it has added up. Looking at the attachment history files, I don't think more than 20 members actually use (used) the feature, but it adds up over time.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
It's working now, thanks.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:13:24 AM by 230RN »