Author Topic: adorable little girls survival story :-)  (Read 526 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
adorable little girls survival story :-)
« on: March 08, 2019, 12:11:58 AM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: adorable little girls survival story :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »
The parents said the girls have two years of wilderness survival training through their involvement in 4-H, a national youth organization that provides educational programs for kids. Leia even said she knows how to make a fire but didn't have to this time around.
Good plug for 4H.  

I am kind of curious how far away they ended up and what sort of property this is.  The video indicates it was heavily wooded.  It was near a state park so maybe it wasn't fenced.  I would think the parents need to hike them around a bit and work more on orientation and getting familiar with the property.  Maybe get a dog who will stay with them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:17 AM »
Good plug for 4H.  

I am kind of curious how far away they ended up and what sort of property this is.  The video indicates it was heavily wooded.  It was near a state park so maybe it wasn't fenced.  I would think the parents need to hike them around a bit and work more on orientation and getting familiar with the property.  Maybe get a dog who will stay with them.

Some of the Northern woods from Northern CA through OR and WA are very thick and disorienting. I recall a story from a few years back where a family from either OR or WA was out foraging for I think mushrooms, and was lost for like a week, with searchers approaching within a mile or less of them but with neither party seeing the other.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »
I was thinking 80 acres is not that much land to get lost in.  However, if they have no livestock the undergrowth could be pretty thick and they may not have fences or right-of-ways that you would eventually get to. 

My brother and I wondered around my Grandpa's land (70 acres) when I was a kid.  However, you didn't have to go very far before you hit a fence and there were cow trails through the undergrowth you could follow that would take you back to the water trough and hay barn.  If most of the 80 acres was unmanaged I can see it would be pretty disorienting to young kids once they got a couple hundred yards into it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge