Author Topic: Gun ownership is a risk to the public health  (Read 580 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Gun ownership is a risk to the public health
« on: March 08, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-by-state-more-gun-ownership-equals-more-mass-shootings-study-shows-220918498.html?fbclid=IwAR1hic1fDVttwZwdQJezH0fCRyIO_50eK7a5iteb9PVBke3lsQnIkDi04pY

Article was sent to me by a friend.  Article says that a study published by the British Medical Journal shows that where gun laws are more lax, more people are killed in mass shootings. “States with more permissive gun laws and greater gun ownership have higher rates of mass shootings,” the researchers conclude. “There is a growing divergence in recent years as rates of mass shootings in restrictive states have decreased and those in permissive states have increased.” 

Take a blood pressure pill.  Read the article.  The strategy of gun control types is laid out there for us to see...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Gun ownership is a risk to the public health
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:44:45 PM »
So where are the stats on mass shootings in SD, WY, NE, etc.? All states with likely higher per capita gun ownership than the article example of Florida, and certainly higher per capita than CA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »
Quick analysis:

There has only been this "increase" since 2010, otherwise, the two trend lines tracked with the "permissive states" being slightly higher, most of the time. When mass shootings are already extremely unlikely events, I don't think a "trend" of just 5 years is enough to make such analysis.

Any one mass shooting event can skew the numbers dramatically. We are talking about 344 events in a population of 330M+. That's a rather small sample size.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:36:25 PM »
Garbage study is garbage. [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero