Author Topic: Anyone here old enough to remember the early days of Saturday Night Live?  (Read 680 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
A long, long time ago, when it was new and fresh (and when I watched television) I watched it occasionally. One of the regulars back then was a woman named Gilda Radner (now deceased). She played a couple of recurring characters, and she became known for two standard punch lines. One of them was, "If it's not one thing ... it's another."

That seems to be the story of my life these days. This morning I went into town to mail a book to my old girlfriend in Montana and to check the post box. When I returned home, I came up the road to find the fuel oil delivery truck stopped in the road in front of my driveway. This last storm deposited about 8 inches of fluffy white global warming. That 8 inches has now shrunk to maybe 3 or 4, and I have been in and out of the driveway a dozen or more times, so the ruts are clear and quite passable.

Nonetheless, the intrepid driver was apparently afraid to risk it, because as I drove up ... he drove away. So I went inside and checked the level gauge on the fuel oil tank. Great! Bouncing on empty. I tried calling the company, but the office was closed (it is Saturday, after all) and the answering service said they have no way of contacting the route drivers, so I would have to wait until Monday. But if I run out of fuel before they can get a truck here, that's going to be a nuisance for me, and a nuisance for their emergency crew.

So ... I called Paul, my friend who supplied the generator I used during the big power outage. He has a 5-gallon (20-liter) diesel fuel can and he let me borrow that. His can was full, so I stopped at home and dumped that into my tank. Then I went to a farm store and bought another 5-gallon diesel can. I took both to a gas station and filled them up with diesel fuel, then dumped that into the tank. 15 gallons should see me through the weekend. The previous delivery, which covered the very coldest part of late January and early February, I used roughly 8 gallons per day. With temperatures beginning to moderate now, consumption might be 5 gallons per day so, between whatever was in the tank plus the 15 gallons I just added, that should see me through. (Although I may head out tomorrow and get another 10 gallons just to be on the safe side.)

Who knew fuel oil drivers were such wimps these days? I can remember winters with a lot more snow and there was never a problem getting the fuel oil delivered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's always something"
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
Rosanne Rosannadana
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yes, but I never really liked it or watched it. Friends did, but I just never really cared about it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
"If life were perfect, this would be heaven.  And we all know it ain't heaven."  --Terry, 230RN

"It's hard to find a silver lining when it's completely overcast." --Terry, 230RN

Maybe the driver was from California.

I think you deserve an extra 100 gallons for free, considering your time and effort and travel costs and the new can and time on the phone talking to nobody and a pissoffedness quotient of 84%.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:31:39 PM by 230RN »

grampster

• friend
"Never mind."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
"Never mind."

You beat me to it.  She was also married to Gene Wilder when she passed away.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Unisaw

• friend
Announced on Weekend Update in 1976: a new book, “Tennis without Balls” by Renee Richards. ;)
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame