Author Topic: Airwolf down  (Read 617 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Airwolf down
« on: March 10, 2019, 02:09:30 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Airwolf down
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »
Sad.

I really enjoyed AIRWOLF and have the dvd set,  which I occasionally watch.   He apparently had a rather rough post AIRWOLF life .... had a problem with intoxicants  (Ernest Borgnine stated after AIRWOLF was canceled he'd never work with Vincent again),  had a motor vehicle accident affecting his vocal chords,  and lost a leg to disease.  
DAMNATION ALLEY  was an earlier film he was in and it's a minor cult classic.  I have it on DVD.  It has a great line in in regarding "killer cockroaches."  [popcorn]

"Weapons to combat mode." :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »
Remember hearing even back before Airwolf  JMV was a bit of an outsider and hard to work with

Anyway

Always had a dream that if I ever became a rich enough to own my own helicopter that it would be a Bell 222 painted up to look like Airwolf
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:18:49 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
Hooper is a personal fav of mine. "Bye bye, you old fart!"

I'd heard his health had really declined in the last few years. RIP.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
Remember hearing even back before Airwolf  JMV was a bit of an outsider and hard to work with

Anyway

Always had a dream that if I ever became a rich enough to own my own helicopter that it would be a Bell 222 painted up to look like Airwolf
Can you get an internal "flare launcher" added? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:02:05 AM »
Always thought the sequence starting at 02:11 was some insane stunt work and flying skill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8syGlAMTKA

Now-a-days they would CGI it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
Can you get an internal "flare launcher" added?  

Flare launchers aren't the big problem, it's getting the clearance for the chain guns and missile launchers  >:D

On a more serious note: Wonder if the FAA would have a problem with fake chain guns. Is there a law on this? The "missile launcher" is just suck on plastic but would they have an issue with realistic looking fake chain guns?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »
Flare launchers aren't the big problem, it's getting the clearance for the chain guns and missile launchers  >:D

On a more serious note: Wonder if the FAA would have a problem with fake chain guns. Is there a law on this? The "missile launcher" is just suck on plastic but would they have an issue with realistic looking fake chain guns?

The FAA did have a problem with the fake chain guns. They weren't really retractable -- they were manually attached or removed when called for. IIRC, the production company had to notify the FAA each time they were going to fly the bird with the "chain guns" attached.

One of JMV's first roles was playing a hippie who was drafted into the Marines. It was, IIRC, a made-for-television movie titled Tribes, and it starred Darin McGavin (Mike Hammer).

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »
The FAA did have a problem with the fake chain guns. They weren't really retractable -- they were manually attached or removed when called for. IIRC, the production company had to notify the FAA each time they were going to fly the bird with the "chain guns" attached.

Well that sucks, don't want to have to get permission from the FAA every time I take off.
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 07:51:19 PM »
Always thought the sequence starting at 02:11 was some insane stunt work and flying skill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8syGlAMTKA

Now-a-days they would CGI it

Poor ol' Doug McLure.... bet he regretted only chipping in for economy fare.  >:D  And no in-flight movie-----the horrors!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »

One of JMV's first roles was playing a hippie who was drafted into the Marines. It was, IIRC, a made-for-television movie titled Tribes, and it starred Darin McGavin (Mike Hammer).

I recall the Airwolf helicopter had to be FAA approved for flight,  but not for each flight.

Both the guns and missile launcher were propane powered effects.  Many times the gun/  missile effects were optical effects.

BTW,  the term "Chaingun" is trademarked by then Hughes Aircraft.  Universal Studios used the term in the first season without permission ,   not realizing it was trademarked,  and Hughes sent them a "cease and desist" order.  Universal simply stopped using the term.

The cannon on the AH-64 Apache is a Chaingun.  It is an electrically controlled cannon where the breech is opened and closed by a loop chain with a cam that operates the mechanism,  allowing the gunner to control the rate of fire with a rheostat.

Obviously they do not retract ----  telescoping cannon or machinegun barrels don't work very well. [tinfoil]

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
Poor ol' Doug McLure.... bet he regretted only chipping in for economy fare.  >:D  And no in-flight movie-----the horrors!

He was used to running from rubber dinosaurs not helicopter gunships
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
Anyone here see Airwolf when USA Network restarted it without JMV and Borgnine? Man was it awful. They usually refer to it as season 4 but I don't count it as such.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
Anyone here see Airwolf when USA Network restarted it without JMV and Borgnine? Man was it awful. They usually refer to it as season 4 but I don't count it as such.

I saw one episode on Youtube. Yes, it was horrible. It was done on a very low budget -- IIRC, all the aerial combat scenes were recycled from previous seasons.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »
Found on youtube

Sadik Meah
4 years ago
Airwolf was very inspirational to me. Whenever I used to watch this when I was a kid I wanted to be a helicopter pilot. Now after many years of persistence and determination I am now a....

Taxi driver.

Syrio Golden
Syrio Golden
4 years ago
Thanks for sharing ... Street Wolf !
Sadik Meah
Sadik Meah
4 years ago

@Syrio Golden
Street Wolf!!! Yeah man!!! I love it. I suddenly feel my life has meaning. Cheers bud.

Street Wolf   :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 11:02:03 PM »
I saw one episode on Youtube. Yes, it was horrible. It was done on a very low budget -- IIRC, all the aerial combat scenes were recycled from previous seasons.

According to wiki they no longer had access to the helicopter so they used stock footage for any exterior shots
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 11:23:38 PM »

Yeah.  It was CHEAP .... but, it was better than no Airwolf.  Well .... almost .... a little?   ...... :facepalm:

Yes.... aerial shots were rehash of the CBS series.   Even the original series re-used air to air footage;  the infamous "HX-1"  Reappeared in a subsequent episode,  as well as a P-51 Mustang.