Author Topic: Let’s go to war with Iran  (Read 2707 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Let’s go to war with Iran
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »
Bibi has been beating the war drums against Iran for a long time.

Weren't the Israelis threatening an air strike on Iranian nuke sites a few years back.  I believe Obama pulled out the stops to keep them from doing it.  I did hear they flew air missions deep into Syria as a demonstration to show they could get strike aircraft far enough and through Syrian air defenses.  

I agree with Ms Shumer.  Pretty much every strategic enemy of Iran is pushing for us to take more action against Iran.  I am sure there are war hawks in the govt who would love to see it happen.  

What I don't see is why anyone would look at this as some sort of conspiracy.  IMO, it is just politics.  My impression is that Trump is not a war hawk President.  I get the impression he would rather pull troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan both if it was a simple solution.  My concern (if any) would not be for the Trump Admin, but the next administration after this one and who might be in charge then.  I am not going to worry about that now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
If Israel and Saudi Arabia want to invade Iran, let them do it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
Israel has spoken before about going alone to possible preventative nuke strikes on Iran if necessary.  I believe it was phrased along the lines of they are not going to wait until a mushroom cloud goes up over Tel Aviv.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
Israel has spoken before about going alone to possible preventative nuke strikes on Iran if necessary.  I believe it was phrased along the lines of they are not going to wait until a mushroom cloud goes up over Tel Aviv.

This.  Just like they did to Iraq, ten years before Desert Storm.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
I started my current job in 2013, and a co-worker started telling me we were going to be at war with Iran pretty soon. He kept predicting it for months. Now he keeps expecting we'll send troops to Venezuela.

A lot of people spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about Joos.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 11:13:52 PM »
This.  Just like they did to Iraq, ten years before Desert Storm.

So Israel kept making war mongering noises towards Iraq.

Then we invaded Iraq.

Not sure how that helps your argument.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 11:18:15 PM »

Then we invaded Iraq...twice.

Just try to make sure no more Bush's run for President.  That seems to be another common thread.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 11:28:00 PM »

Then we invaded Iraq.

Nope, Israel did a one and done air raid on Iraq's nuclearreactor.  They weren't pushing us into a war with Iraq.  Remember that Iraq invaded Kuwait, so it was the Kuwaitis and Saudis who were screaming for American troops, not Israel.  Also, if you recall Iraq was trying to drag Israel into the war by launching SCUDs at them.  Otherwise, Israel was pretty content to sit it out.  Nor did they "push" us to go to war.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »
Our Middle East policy sure doesn’t seem to be based upon the will of the American people nor what is best for our nation.

The Iraq invasions and 9/11 were used to manipulate us into the tar baby of making the Middle East “safe” for Democracy.

The USA is less safe now.
The USA is less free now.

Who does our failed policy benefit, by design or accident? Certainly not you or me.

Israel and Saudi Arabia are certainly in a better place without Saddam, with us “policing” Afghanistan, without Gaddafi, with a weaker Syria, (even though they failed to bring down Assad).

I don’t care if our failed policies were a conspiracy or if it was just hubris that drove our government to try and impose its will, or a USA/Israeli/SA vision on the region by military force.

Trump was elected in part to get us out of the quagmire. So far his grade is a D-

Trumps stance against Iran might be opening bid bluster, we’ll see.

He wasn’t elected to start another war where we are a proxy for other regional powers.

He was elected to stop that *expletive deleted*it.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.