Author Topic: Pollution is racist  (Read 630 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Pollution is racist
« on: March 11, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »
Study says blacks, Hispanics breathe more pollution than they create
'Even though minorities are contributing less to the overall problem of air pollution, they are affected by it more,' the study's co-author said.
https://www.whas11.com/article/news/nation-world/study-says-blacks-hispanics-breathe-more-pollution-than-they-create/417-32507dbe-b888-4c66-809f-cb3debe3ef2d

African-Americans and Hispanics breathe in far more deadly air pollution than they are responsible for making, a new study said.
On the other hand, non-Hispanic whites on average are exposed to 17 percent less air pollution than they make.
Several outside experts praised the research.

"These findings confirm what most grassroots environmental justice leaders have known for decades, 'whites are dumping their pollution on poor people and people of color'," said Texas Southern University public affairs professor Robert Bullard, who was not part of the research. Bullard, often called the father of environmental justice , is African-American.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Pollution is racist
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 11:23:11 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:20 PM »
I'm hoping it turns out to be a joke but sadly I think they're serious
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 11:28:06 AM »
Hmm, if black people tend to live in crappy urban areas the most, it would not be a surprise if they are exposed to worse pollution, esp air quality and possibly lead exposure (old buildings with lead paint).

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm guessing the reality is this:
poor people have no choice but to live with pollution and a lot of it is created by wealthier people
but they turned into this:
whites are dumping their pollution on poor people and people of color
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:02:51 PM »
They have a hammer.  It is the only tool they have.  They try to redefine every problem to be a nail. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge