Author Topic: Largest ever continuous oil and gas resource found in the United States  (Read 1073 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
From December. Don't remember hearing about it though.

How many of these huge patches are out there? Maybe not this size, but big enough to move the needle on known reserves.

Will we ever be rid of people who claim that we're running out of oil and NG? That's the scarcity I want to see.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
From December. Don't remember hearing about it though.

How many of these huge patches are out there? Maybe not this size, but big enough to move the needle on known reserves.

Will we ever be rid of people who claim that we're running out of oil and NG? That's the scarcity I want to see.

I seem to recall a time, a time in the prehistoric past, a wild and crazy time called the 70s, that we were told that we were suppose to be completely out of oil by the 1990s and that the science was unquestionably settled.

Oh, and that my house was suppose to be under a mile and a half of glacial ice by now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
And this is from 2011

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I suspect that at some point in the future, we will indeed run out of petroleum oil and natural gas on the Earth, since a new supply is not being made by geological processes.  Will we run out of reserves that are economically and technologically feasible to extract is the question.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
The sky is falling crowd always forget those numbers are based on proven reserves (as the article points out) which is a smaller part of known oil containing areas.  And that doesn't even account for the fact that there are large areas of the planet we have not even done much prospecting for oil.  Think what we would have if we looked at the East and West coast off shore areas.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
I suspect that at some point in the future, we will indeed run out of petroleum oil and natural gas on the Earth, since a new supply is not being made by geological processes.  Will we run out of reserves that are economically and technologically feasible to extract is the question.
I figure we eventually will, but we have some time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends

Yes we will, that's why I don't criticize things like elec cars and such. Sure they're a bit of a pain now but technology marches on and I'm reasonably sure they will get improved to the point where they can be a viable replacement, they're just not there yet.
What I do criticize is the doom and gloom, the world is coming to an end the day after tomorrow, we're all going to die if you don't completely change your lifestyle by this afternoon, the science is unquestionably settled, panic crowd.
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
In the 1970s Amoco drilled a deep oil exploration hole in Iowa near the midcontinental rift. Rumor is they found something, but they pulled out asap. Also one of the few areas in Iowa where mineral rights are seperate from land.

So I'm expecting a giant oil/gas discovery someday for Iowa.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:38:25 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Yes we will, that's why I don't criticize things like elec cars and such. Sure they're a bit of a pain now but technology marches on and I'm reasonably sure they will get improved to the point where they can be a viable replacement, they're just not there yet.
What I do criticize is the doom and gloom, the world is coming to an end the day after tomorrow, we're all going to die if you don't completely change your lifestyle by this afternoon, the science is unquestionably settled, panic crowd.

Also, they need to stop pushing tech that's not ready for prime-time. Let the electric cars and solar power and LED lighting mature. People will adopt them when they become better tech than what they've had before.

But no, they'd rather make things political. They'd rather push CFLs, and make everyone sick of them, and then push half-baked LED bulbs on everybody, and do it all over again.

edit: I guess I'd better clarify, since people like to argue about light bulbs so much. I'm not disparaging LED bulbs. What I mean is that LED lighting is one of those technologies that was rolled out too quickly (i.e., government and misguided eco-alarmism got involved), so that too much early-gen LED stuff got out there. While it was not as bad as the ill-fated CFL twister bulbs, it did turn off some people, or at least give them the wrong idea. In my job, I often hear people talk about how "bad" the light is from LEDs, because too much LED was sold, before they got the color temp. and CRI issues sorted out a little better. Now, those people think there's only one kind of light from LEDs, and it's not the good kind. I also know a hardware store that hired someone to replace their fluor. tubes with LED strips, and then went back to fluorescents, when those didn't work out. There are much better LED retrofit products out today, but it's gonna be a while before they're ready to try LEDs again. I suspect they're not the only ones.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:26:28 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....

Also, they need to stop pushing tech that's not ready for prime-time. Let the electric cars and solar power and LED lighting mature. People will adopt them when they become better tech than what they've had before.

But no, they'd rather make things political. They'd rather push CFLs, and make everyone sick of them, and then push half-baked LED bulbs on everybody, and do it all over again.

I can't find the article, but there was a great one about how nothing works in the US (compared to other nations) and everything is overpriced.  Showers, toilets, dishwashers, washing machines, light bulbs, etc..  And you can't buy ones that actually "work".

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2011/03/rand-paul-is-pro-choice-about-toilets.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Largest ever continuous oil and gas resource found in the United States
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »
In the 1970s Amoco drilled a deep oil exploration hole in Iowa near the midcontinental rift. Rumor is they found something, but they pulled out asap. Also one of the few areas in Iowa where mineral rights are seperate from land.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 09:52:15 AM »
I can't find the article, but there was a great one about how nothing works in the US (compared to other nations) and everything is overpriced.  Showers, toilets, dishwashers, washing machines, light bulbs, etc..  And you can't buy ones that actually "work".

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2011/03/rand-paul-is-pro-choice-about-toilets.html

You can have my 5 gallon flush toilets when you pry my cold, dead ass off of them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »

1980s... memory is failing

https://apnews.com/6cf93791f16dc04d13fe33301afaa27d
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »

That's what she said.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
Our society will be long wrecked by poor monetary policy and the wars that it causes  before we run out of petroleum.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 07:08:43 AM »
We’re going to need as much of the fossil fuel as we can find to make it through the next mini ice age  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
We’re going to need as much of the fossil fuel as we can find to make it through the next mini ice age  :laugh:

Thankfully, we still have LOTS of coal.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
Thankfully, we still have LOTS of coal.

But all the coal miners learned to code.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 05:37:31 AM »
Meh. We're still limited on how much we can refine. Bringing it up usually isn't the problem.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 07:40:13 AM »

Actually, new supplies are being made, just not anywhere near consumption.

You are correct that the latter is the real question. If we can make bio-gasoline at, say, $10/gallon, when oil reaches a point where making gasoline with it would be $10.01/gallon, we would switch to bio-gasoline and dino-gas would no longer be a thing.

Resource reserve statements always come with a price tag attached and a assumption of no further technological development.  Increase the price, increase reserves.  Improve technology to make extraction cheaper, increase reserves.