Author Topic: The NYT discovers black gun owners  (Read 1102 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: The NYT discovers black gun owners
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »
My response to seeing the sticker was strong. I am an African-American historian and, on the matter of guns and most other political issues, decidedly liberal. To me, the pairing of Lewis Hayden and the N.R.A. felt like an affront. I knew for certain that Hayden fought for the right to be free from violent repression by white citizens wielding the weapons of guns, capital and political influence. I knew that he lost his family through a cruel, extractive system that reinforced — in fact, depended on — the ability of whites to inflict violence on the bodies of black people without legal repercussion.

The author is not much of a historian if they can't figure out that gun control was primarily meant for disarming blacks and other ethnicities of the underclass.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:30:09 AM »
The author is not much of a historian if they can't figure out that gun control was primarily meant for disarming blacks and other ethnicities of the underclass.

And it pretty much still is.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
From one of the comments in the article (paraphrased by me): If you want to see serious gun control laws in this country, start having young black males open carry everywhere.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
I need to take time to read more of the comments.  The first few I saw look pretty good.

Angela R. Dean
Elkins Park, PAMarch 10
Times Pick
I’m an African American woman and attorney. I was  held up at gun point by a 16 year old kid who was high on drugs, took my purse and started going through my jean pants pocket looking for more money. I shudder to think what he would have tried if people hadn’t showed up. I remember feeling powerless and preparing to fight and die if he tries to rape me. Until you have stared down the barrel of a criminal’s gun don’t judge. Yes there is good in the world. But if evil shows up at your door or in your face, be ready to defend yourself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:38:21 PM »
Seeing some more comments, it seems many anti-gunners have this fantasy that the Govt will ban guns and they will be no more.  They fail to see that guns aren't going anywhere, nor do they see that there are plenty of other weapons that can be used.  The root of violence is not in the weapon.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »
Seeing some more comments, it seems many anti-gunners have this fantasy that the Govt will ban guns and they will be no more.  They fail to see that guns aren't going anywhere, nor do they see that there are plenty of other weapons that can be used.  The root of violence is not in the weapon.

We all know that violence was basically unknown before guns were invented.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »
From one of the comments in the article (paraphrased by me): If you want to see serious gun control laws in this country, start having young black males open carry everywhere.

I thought we "but muh guns" conservatives were all afraid of black people anyway, even if they're only armed with a Bible, and on their way to church. After all, the NRA has carefully inserted "except black people" in all those crazy concealed carry permit laws, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 12:56:56 PM »

I prefer that they carry concealed.
OCing is for uniformed police and neckbeards.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 11:53:40 PM »
I prefer that they carry concealed.
OCing is for uniformed police and neckbeards.
As long as they are civil, I don't really care how they carry their hardware. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:19 AM »
So are guns suddenly good now?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 11:46:25 AM »
As long as they are civil, I don't really care how they carry their hardware. 

True, but whenever we hear about OCing in the news, its some manchild hanging out at starbucks with his AR.

Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
So are guns suddenly good now?

Silly right wing bitter clinger, it's to expose those that have left the plantation.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
True, but whenever we hear about OCing in the news, its some manchild hanging out at starbucks with his AR.

You think they are going to ever report on regular everyday people who open carry and nothing at all happens?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic