Author Topic: The science is settled because there is no science. Or something like that.  (Read 783 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I'm not confused they are.

Over history, the location or the idea of what determined one’s true sex shifted. A hundred years ago, it used to be whether you had ovaries or testes. Then it shifted to what kinds of chromosomes that you had. But the body doesn’t have just one place where we can sit there with a microscope or something else and say, “Hey, wait a second. This is really who you are; this is your true sex.” In fact, who you are is who you say you are.
“Too many people still believe that there’s such a thing as a true sex and that it comes from your chromosomes,” viewers are told. “It’s not the case. Science has known this for decades, and it’s actually a consensus in science and uncontroversial.”

In addition, Teen Vogue insists that a “trans woman is a woman” in the video says. “She is not tricking anyone — all of her body parts are female body parts.”
Say wut?

Video: Teen Vogue Declares ‘The Idea that the Body Is Male or Female Is Wrong’
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2019/04/01/video-teen-vogue-idea-body-male-female-wrong/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
"Who you are is who you say you are"

This is a result of believing that there is no objective reality. If I say I am a turnip, you can very clearly demonstrate that I am not a turnip. No matter how fervently I insist that I am a turnip, my belief does not change reality.

I can force everyone to call me "Mr. Turnip". I can get myself planted in the ground and harvested. I can sit on a grocery shelf with a sign "Turnip, $1 per pound" and none of that makes me a turnip.

I can redefine what "Turnip" means so that I'm included in the definition. I can get support groups that will encourage me to be my turnip-self. But reality will not bend to my will just because I get a lot of people to vote that way.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend

I can force everyone to call me "Mr. Turnip". I can get myself planted in the ground and harvested. I can sit on a grocery shelf with a sign "Turnip, $1 per pound" and none of that makes me a turnip.

I can redefine what "Turnip" means so that I'm included in the definition. I can get support groups that will encourage me to be my turnip-self. But reality will not bend to my will just because I get a lot of people to vote that way.

Sez you!

It dependsâ„¢ on your definition of "reality."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
I'm Bill Gates. I'm heading to the bank to make a withdraw.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
You mean I'm not Joy Behar?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
You mean I'm not Joy Behar?

You can be Roy Behar
The science is settled!
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
Science has known this for decades, and it’s actually a consensus in science and uncontroversial.

Decades?  Wonder why the DSM didn't get around to reclassifying gender identity disorder to gender dysphoria until 2013.

I know the definition of mental disorders is a fluid thing.  But don't pretend that it's not a big and recent change, it destroys your credibility.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Pb

• friend
It is true that sex is sometimes more complicated than male and female.

There are quite a lot of people with intersex disorders of the sex organs and/or sex chromosomes.

People we are calling transgender now typically aren't intersex however.

brimic

• friends
I identify as a transnational corporation. My name is traded in ALLCAPS on the new yerk stock exchange.
http://www.rvbeypublications.com/id130.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Video: Teen Vogue Declares ‘The Idea that the Body Is Male or Female Is Wrong’

The world is full of Kings and Queens who'll blind our eyes and steal your dreams.
They'll tell that black is really white and the sun is just the moon at night.

-One who identifies as a poached egg.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
It is true that sex is sometimes more complicated than male and female.

There are quite a lot of people with intersex disorders of the sex organs and/or sex chromosomes.

People we are calling transgender now typically aren't intersex however.

When people call out that sex is solely determined by the presence or lack of a Y chromosome, I tend to bring up complete androgen insensitivity.  People with it are genetically male, but due to the receptor being broken, the androgens flip around to estrogens or such, and what you get is somebody who is extremely female on the outside, including outlook.

The only way to detect the condition short of a DNA test(the easiest way these days) is a rather close examination by somebody who really knows what to look for.  Initial signs are no periods, but as you might realize, that could be a couple hundred things. 

These days, often detected early by standard paternity tests coming back "Yes, he's the father of the boy" and visual inspection showing female bits. 

Note, androgen insensitivity isn't always complete.  So in some cases you might have to observe some to see if the baby is more "boy" or "girl".  But here we're looking at an actual medical condition readily identified through examination and a bit of hormonal/DNA testing. 

Most transgenders, as you say, are NOT intersex in any fashion.  They're 100% functional examples of their original gender.  People with CAIS are genetically male, 99% physically and mentally female, just sterile. 

So yeah, while I'll recognize various intersex conditions, I'm really on edge about transexuals.  If only there was a magic pill to make them feel secure in their own skin.