Author Topic: Felicity Huffman awoke to FBI agents with guns drawn at her L.A. home  (Read 4086 times)

MechAg94

• friend
There hasn't been much discussion about the college entrance scam, but this article caught my attention.  I thought FBI agents only did this to conservatives. 

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-felicity-huffman-college-cheating-arrest-20190312-story.html

When Felicity Huffman opened the door to her Los Angeles home at 6 a.m. Tuesday, she was met by FBI agents with their guns drawn, according a source familiar with the incident.

Laura Eimiller, an FBI spokeswoman, said the FBI did not use a a tactical team to arrest Huffman. “But all FBI agents are armed and may draw their weapons as a precautionary measured based on the circumstances during the execution of any warrant,” she added.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Felicity Huffman awoke to FBI agents with guns drawn at her L.A. home
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 10:24:07 AM »
So I've only been following it superficially, so I haven't seen any of the other players other than the two big-name (supposedly, I still have no idea who Felicity Huffman is) actresses involved.

Your article just informed me that Commissioner Gordon is dirty, too. I guess Gotham is just doomed to corrupt politicians.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:30:30 AM »
This is what I said when they arrested Roger Stone. Did they make a big deal out of it for show? Yes. Was it political in Stones case? Probably.
But they do the same dumb thing in many other cases just because they like to play commando. And then they shoot your dog.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
This is what I said when they arrested Roger Stone. Did they make a big deal out of it for show? Yes. Was it political in Stones case? Probably.
But they do the same dumb thing in many other cases just because they like to play commando. And then they shoot your dog.

Seriously.  This was in LA.  The FBI should have just Tweeted to her that she was under arrest.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »
Seriously.  This was in LA.  The FBI should have just Tweeted to her that she was under arrest.
"This was in LA." could encompass some pretty bad areas so I am not sure that is the best argument.   =D

However, this was a white collar crime committed by an actress and they were heading to what was likely a pretty nice house in a nice area.  Their bosses should be demanding to know what they were afraid of that caused them to unholster their guns.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
The gestapo has gotta gestapo
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »
Does seem to be a rather disturbing trend lately of the FBI arresting non violent white collar criminals with enough firepower to take down a Mexican cartel   
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »
The other "famous" actress, Lori Loughlin, involved in this operation, peacefully turned herself in the other day. Perhaps Huffman gave the middle finger to the investigators.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
Does seem to be a rather disturbing trend lately of the FBI arresting non violent white collar criminals with enough firepower to take down a Mexican cartel   

If you haven't noticed, being rich is not "in" anymore.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
I'm just waiting for all of the arrests for college sportsball programs fixing scores and grades in order to get scholarships and admission to kids with 85 IQs who happen to be good at throwing a ball around....

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
I'm just waiting for all of the arrests for college sportsball programs fixing scores and grades in order to get scholarships and admission to kids with 85 IQs who happen to be good at throwing a ball around....

To me, that's at least as bad as what these parents and administrators did. A lot more deserving students lost out on an education with the above than with the current scam.

As to the arrest, there are several ways to look at it:

Stone deserved it but the actress didn't (and vice versa)
It's wrong, but they did it to Stone, so the actress deserves it too (and vice versa)
It's wrong and neither of them deserved it.

Sadly, I think in today's climate, the last will be the minority opinion.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
I thought FBI agents only did this to conservatives. 

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 11:46:23 AM »

It's coming, maybe not tomorrow, but it will happen. As long as scholarships are coming from the Athletic Dept revenues, this will be kicked down the road until later.

How many really prestigious schools excel in athletics. (or have top STEM students even play college sports).

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 11:53:03 AM »
How many really prestigious schools excel in athletics. (or have top STEM students even play college sports).

The flagship state school in most states is considered somewhat prestigious...

Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »
I'm wondering how many murderous illegal aliens are crossing state lines and how many foreign agents -actual spies working for Russia, Red China, etc. - are continuing to operate as the FBI is devoting considerable resources to college admission issues.

Maybe they have enough manpower to look into speeding on the interstates or jaywalking, too.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 11:58:41 AM »
I think that this is a long con to get Trump. Granted, his kids seem smarter than he is, but if you are sitting on a few billion you probably also know where strings are that can be pulled in your kid's favor.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »

That depends very much on your definition of "prestigious."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »

Most state schools are fairly easy to get into if you can afford the tuition/have the grades. If your kids is stupid (or lazy in HS), no state university is going to accept them as a freshman.

If you don't have the grades due to laziness, spend 1-2 years at a JuCo, come in as a sophomore/junior, still graduate with the sheep skin from that university.

Uranus is a gas giant.

griz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 12:20:35 PM »
It's coming, maybe not tomorrow, but it will happen. As long as scholarships are coming from the Athletic Dept revenues, this will be kicked down the road until later.

How many star athletes excel in academics?  There are some but it's not the norm.  College sports is a money maker for all involved.  And that's why we will not see the FBI investigating that side of admissions.

Maybe they have enough manpower to look into speeding on the interstates or jaywalking, too.

I can imagine a time in the future they will show up at your door because the contractor who reviews the surveillance camera saw you jaywalking, and they'll have drawn guns because you had something unidentifiable in your hand.  I remember in England a woman was ticketed because the cameras caught her with both hands off the wheel.

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »
The big issue with these crimes is not just that they were not athletes and brought in on athletic scholarships.  It is also that they never participated in the sports.  I might be a bit more forgiving of the student if they actually participated and put the work in.  Of course, the bribery and cheating are bad enough to at least get the kid kicked out of school. 

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
I think that this is a long con to get Trump.
:rofl:
Well I hope QAnon has already worked this new development into their conspiracy. George Soros is certainly willing to sacrifice a few pawns in his Desperate Housewives / Full House sleeper cells to make the whole operation appear more legitimate.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
To me, that's at least as bad as what these parents and administrators did. A lot more deserving students lost out on an education with the above than with the current scam.

As to the arrest, there are several ways to look at it:

Stone deserved it but the actress didn't (and vice versa)
It's wrong, but they did it to Stone, so the actress deserves it too (and vice versa)
It's wrong and neither of them deserved it.

Sadly, I think in today's climate, the last will be the minority opinion.
One difference is that the FBI showed up at Stone's house with a full tactical team, armored vehicle, and helicopter.  They didn't do that with Huffman, but for some reason they still thought drawing guns was necessary.  They are either unnecessarily afraid of something or they are doing the Jack Boot thing.  Both tell me they are not very professional.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
The other part I heard a number of people bringing up yesterday:  None of these parents seemed to have any fear that their lazy and stupid children would flunk out once they were in school.  Doesn't say much about the difficulty of these prestigious universities. 

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »
The other part I heard a number of people bringing up yesterday:  None of these parents seemed to have any fear that their lazy and stupid children would flunk out once they were in school.  Doesn't say much about the difficulty of these prestigious universities. 
One airhead was quoted as saying that she just wanted the whole college experience - ie the parties.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 12:51:11 PM »
Most state schools are fairly easy to get into if you can afford the tuition/have the grades. .
True.

Barack Obama