Author Topic: Felicity Huffman awoke to FBI agents with guns drawn at her L.A. home  (Read 4063 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Felicity Huffman awoke to FBI agents with guns drawn at her L.A. home
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
Why don't we just go ahead and drop all the pretense and start calling them what they have largely become? "Indoctrination Camps"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »
Why do government agents execute warrants for nonviolent crimes with guns drawn? 

This is despicable, and it happens all the time....  :mad:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »
Why do government agents execute warrants for nonviolent crimes with guns drawn? 

Because they like to play with guns, and it's much safer when they're fairly certain the victim subject doesn't have guns and won't shoot back.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »

This is despicable, and it happens all the time....  :mad:

Write the angry orange man and ask him to sign an executive order stopping this practice.

or this is brewing up

https://bluenewsnetwork.com/new-bill-would-require-officers-to-call-supervisor-before-drawing-weapons/

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »
One airhead was quoted as saying that she just wanted the whole college experience - ie the parties.

I believe the same one who was partying on an alumni official's mega-yacht when all this went down, so it's not like they didn't have plenty of protection.

Also, many of the big league schools are incredibly paranoid about their reputation. A former girlfriend was a graduate of Harvard Law, and she said that once you were in, they ENSURED you graduated, no matter how many strings they had to pull to do it, even if you were a less than mediocre student. She said a few students were sent to I think the West Virginia Bar, which at the time I guess was one of the easiest to pass.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
I believe the same one who was partying on an alumni official's mega-yacht when all this went down, so it's not like they didn't have plenty of protection.

Also, many of the big league schools are incredibly paranoid about their reputation. A former girlfriend was a graduate of Harvard Law, and she said that once you were in, they ENSURED you graduated, no matter how many strings they had to pull to do it, even if you were a less than mediocre student. She said a few students were sent to I think the West Virginia Bar, which at the time I guess was one of the easiest to pass.

I've heard the same thing about the Ivy league schools, no one fails.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 01:46:37 PM »
Write the angry orange man and ask him to sign an executive order stopping this practice.

or this is brewing up

https://bluenewsnetwork.com/new-bill-would-require-officers-to-call-supervisor-before-drawing-weapons/

This deserves it own thread
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »
This deserves it own thread

naw, that bill will go no where.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 02:13:28 PM »
I'm just waiting for all of the arrests for college sportsball programs fixing scores and grades in order to get scholarships and admission to kids with 85 IQs who happen to be good at throwing a ball around....

I'm not into sports at all, but I guess I don't mind quite as much if a college is fudging scores, if they're giving a chance to kids whose non-athletic prospects aren't all that great. When it's kids who won the silver spoon lottery, and were born with all the advantages they really need, it's a bit different.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 02:44:52 PM »
naw, that bill will go no where.

About Blue News Network

If you haven’t figured it out yet, this is a satirical news website.  While some stuff may bear a strong resemblance to the truth, we assure you it is most decidedly bullshit.  We are just a few bored cops who thought we would make sport of triggering people and having a little fun at the expense of rookies, dispatchers, and troopers.  If you don’t like what we are doing here, I am sorry to tell you that we do not care.  Have a great life, and stress less about the things you cannot control, like what we write on this site.

For the cops on the road, you have our respect, even if we tease you a little.  Be careful, and come home safe.

I was like, it has to be
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »
I've heard the same thing about the Ivy league schools, no one fails.
I have heard that said from more than a few sources now.  It seems the separator is on who they let in.  Once in, you are good to go.  Sounds like a fraternity, not a university. 

When I was going to Texas A&M, the freshman class was nearly half the total of undergraduate students.  They assumed a number of them would fail to move on.  There was lots of advice on how to avoid that, but it happened.  Lots of engineering students dropped out to lesser degree plans or retook classes when they ran into a brick wall with certain subjects.  I know a guy who graduated with over a 3.0 who took Calculus 3 times.  It is hard for me to grasp going through college with no fear of flunking out or failing to measure up.  I didn't have a great view of Ivy League schools to begin with.  It is not higher now.  For all I know Texas A&M is no better these days, but I hope not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »

When I was going to Texas A&M, the freshman class was nearly half the total of undergraduate students.  They assumed a number of them would fail to move on.  There was lots of advice on how to avoid that, but it happened.  Lots of engineering students dropped out to lesser degree plans or retook classes when they ran into a brick wall with certain subjects.  I know a guy who graduated with over a 3.0 who took Calculus 3 times.  It is hard for me to grasp going through college with no fear of flunking out or failing to measure up.  I didn't have a great view of Ivy League schools to begin with.  It is not higher now.  For all I know Texas A&M is no better these days, but I hope not. 

During freshman orientation at the state school I attended, we were told to look around us at the other students... 1/2 would be gone by the end of the freshman year, and only 1 out of 3 were going to graduate. They didn't lie on either account.

I used to work for a guy (VP of R&D and production for a small company) who had a PhD from Harvard, who was the most worthless shitweasel I've ever seen. Long story short, I was tasked at process development of a a few new drugs for bigger companies, but Mr. Harvard didn't give me the tech packages, but instead gave me his own plans on how to make the drugs. They didn't work. When I finally got the tech packages, I was able to produce the molecules that were needed. He got fired.
The only thing that 'ivy league' impressed upon me is that they think everyone else is an idiot to be looked down upon.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
I'm not the slightest bit outraged over this scandal.

Rich and connected folks have always used their means to get their lackwit relatives unearned benefits.

I'm sure if we had records from 10,000 years ago people would be complaining about it then. "The only reason Niplixiblo is a Priest in the Temple of Muhaha is that his father gave 19 oxen, 57 goats, and a magic chicken to the Grand Seer! Outrageous!"

This is one of those "it just is" things.

What would matter is if they used their means to get their unqualified kids professional certifications which were then used to in real world applications, which being incompetently done led to harm for persons or property.

As far as I can tell these offspring were just going to be able to say they graduated from Corrupt University and have that be part of their bio for whatever benefit it brought them.

So no real harm there.

And certainly there is no justification for a guns-out dawn raid on one of the suspects.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »
I was like, it has to be

Got me, I saw in my news feed yesterday. Queue sad trombone.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
During freshman orientation at the state school I attended, we were told to look around us at the other students... 1/2 would be gone by the end of the freshman year, and only 1 out of 3 were going to graduate. They didn't lie on either account.

I used to work for a guy (VP of R&D and production for a small company) who had a PhD from Harvard, who was the most worthless shitweasel I've ever seen. Long story short, I was tasked at process development of a a few new drugs for bigger companies, but Mr. Harvard didn't give me the tech packages, but instead gave me his own plans on how to make the drugs. They didn't work. When I finally got the tech packages, I was able to produce the molecules that were needed. He got fired.
The only thing that 'ivy league' impressed upon me is that they think everyone else is an idiot to be looked down upon.

The only example I have is an engineer from Harvard that worked at our corporate office for a few years.  The only thing anyone remembers is that he was real quick to let everyone know he went to Harvard.  Other than that, he was not exceptional.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
I'm not the slightest bit outraged over this scandal.

Rich and connected folks have always used their means to get their lackwit relatives unearned benefits.

I'm sure if we had records from 10,000 years ago people would be complaining about it then. "The only reason Niplixiblo is a Priest in the Temple of Muhaha is that his father gave 19 oxen, 57 goats, and a magic chicken to the Grand Seer! Outrageous!"

This is one of those "it just is" things.

What would matter is if they used their means to get their unqualified kids professional certifications which were then used to in real world applications, which being incompetently done led to harm for persons or property.

As far as I can tell these offspring were just going to be able to say they graduated from Corrupt University and have that be part of their bio for whatever benefit it brought them.

So no real harm there.

And certainly there is no justification for a guns-out dawn raid on one of the suspects.
True.  I think people expect some of that to happen.  That doesn't mean people like it and they don't expect flat out illegal stuff.  If that rich guy donated a new building and the administration made an exception for his kid, I wouldn't really care.  If the rich guy paid for a gaggle good tutors to coach his kid up to do better on the SAT, I wouldn't care.  Both are more or less above board.  When they bribe coaches to bring them in as athletes for a sport they never heard of or bribe testers to fix their SAT score, that sort of fraud goes a bit too far. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »

Very much so. So much so, in fact ...

I once worked for an architecture firm that was owned by a brother and sister -- both architects. The brother had graduated from Yale Architecture, and he made it known on a regular basis. Then his sister came on board. SHE had graduated from Harvard's school or architecture and she made it quite clear that she was not only inherently superior to the rest of us by virtue of having graduated from Harvard, she was also vastly superior to her brother because he had "only" graduated from [lowly] Yale.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
If that rich guy donated a new building and the administration made an exception for his kid, I wouldn't really care.  If the rich guy paid for a gaggle good tutors to coach his kid up to do better on the SAT, I wouldn't care.  Both are more or less above board.  When they bribe coaches to bring them in as athletes for a sport they never heard of or bribe testers to fix their SAT score, that sort of fraud goes a bit too far.  

You're talking about the difference between long-standing, traditional baksheesh and outright fraud. Indeed, there is a distinction.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2019, 07:03:23 AM »
Yep. This is criminal fraud, not an example of the old boy network, or "more white privilege" as I was just reading (no, I won't dignify it with a link).  Now, I'm starting to hear that some Congress critters are jumping on the bandwagon, calling for federal oversight of college admission.  No.  Just no.  The feds have no business in looking over who gets admitted to any college except the military academies.  And having been through that process myself and with my son, I can assure you that's ripe with old boy club as much as standard college admissions.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2019, 07:08:01 AM »
In clown world we arrest folks, with guns drawn, who cheat their way into universities while we provide free healthcare and education to those who cheat their way into the country.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »
Why don't we just go ahead and drop all the pretense and start calling them what they have largely become? "Indoctrination Camps"

There used to be a site called noindoctrination  (one word) dot org which took complaints about profs stepping over the line to present leftist and outrageously PC concepts in a positive way.  The prof was given a chance to respond.  The site established a data base of complaints searchable by either institution, complainant, or instructor.

This (from 2002) explained it at the time.

https://www.meforum.org/campus-watch/8117/students-fight-back

It seemed to disappear after a while, and I figured that was too bad, because it was so well set up and had by then established a pretty good database of well-documented cases.  I don't know what actually happened to it or the owner.

Terry, 230RN

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
There used to be a site called noindoctrination  (one word) dot org which took complaints about profs stepping over the line to present leftist and outrageously PC concepts in a positive way.  The prof was given a chance to respond.  The site established a data base of complaints searchable by either institution, complainant, or instructor.

This (from 2002) explained it at the time.

https://www.meforum.org/campus-watch/8117/students-fight-back

It seemed to disappear after a while, and I figured that was too bad, because it was so well set up and had by then established a pretty good database of well-documented cases.  I don't know what actually happened to it or the owner.

Terry, 230RN

Had shut down, there wasn’t enough storage capacity across the globe to hold all the data once it came streaming in   :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.