Author Topic: We The People Holsters?  (Read 3239 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
We The People Holsters?
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:53 PM »
Does anyone know this brand?

I've been wanting a holster similar to this one - kydex, IWB, this style of clip (wide clip, not tuckable).

https://wethepeopleholsters.com/collections/springfield-iwb-kydex-holsters/products/springfield-xd-s-3-3-9mm-40sw-45acp-iwb-kydex-holster-we-the-people-holsters

Or is there a similar holster you can recommend?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:38:43 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: We The People Holsters?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
It's one of those that advertises on the Book of Faces. 

A lot of makers do holsters in that style (kydex taco wraparound IWB).  I'm currently using a Blade-Tech Nano, of that style.  I think it works well.

wide clip, not tuckable

I don't like clips at all, any more.  Had more than once have them fail to hold a holster in place on my belt.  But, this one looks like it would be easy to swap in a pair "pull the dot"  loops.  (Shop around, prices vary widely.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:05:27 PM »
For $37 bucks, they are worth a test drive.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
For $37 bucks, they are worth a test drive.

So test drive one for me.  :P

I don't like clips at all, any more.  Had more than once have them fail to hold a holster in place on my belt.  But, this one looks like it would be easy to swap in a pair "pull the dot"  loops.  (Shop around, prices vary widely.)

I could see some clips being a problem, but I've been using this holster:
https://www.foxxholsters.com/collections/frontpage/products/deluxe-trapp-holster-kydex?variant=1221693721

With this 1.5" belt:
https://armourbelts.com/collections/frontpage/products/gun-belt

It's a bit tough to fit the clip over the belt, but it's also hard to get it off. Which works for me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:14:39 PM by fistful »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »
Lee N. Field: " I don't like clips at all, any more.  Had more than once have them fail to hold a holster in place on my belt."

Ditto here.  You beat me to saying exactly that. There may be some belt clips that partake of divine miracles, but they're mostly feh.  If I could screw the holster directly to my hip bone, that would satisfy me.

Not sure of the details of construction, but I also dislike anything metallic in a holster.

Cheer up !  I lost count of my holsters, but whether you buy one of these or not, within fifteen years of carrying, you will end up with a boxful of them.

The absolute worst was a skeletonized one for my CW9.  It took a fork lift to remove the gun from the holster.  They say you have to wrap the gun and keep it in the holster for a couple of days to "relieve" some of the grabbiness of the holster.  Nuts to that.  I bought an el cheapo Uncle Mike's and found no reason to fault it.

Frankly, the best 1911 holster I ever used was one I made myself out of a "rancher's leather pack" from the feed store.

Terry, holster rich and gun poor by comparison, 230RN

Home made holster for 1911.  Design goal was 100% leather, one piece + thonging.  Kinda getting beat up over the decades.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:40:17 AM by 230RN »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 09:02:11 AM »
Terry, you belong to the same school of holster rigging as my Dad.  :laugh: He had a pouch that came from some toy the neighbor kid had that was his favorite pocket carry for sub Glocks for years.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »
Fisty, I saw that Wee The People had a $10 off code on Facebook.  If you don't do the bookface, I'll watch for it again.

Cheer up !  I lost count of my holsters, but whether you buy one of these or not, within fifteen years of carrying, you will end up with a boxful of them.

Aaa-yup.  Got a pile, myself, of things that seemed like a good idea at the time.

----edit to add---

Got it.  Here's the code

We The People Holsters
Sponsored

We GUARANTEE you'll love our holsters, or your MONEY BACK!! No questions asked.

Get $10 OFF your first holster using code FB10 💪👊
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:19:32 AM by lee n. field »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:50:37 PM by lee n. field »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »
Terry, you belong to the same school of holster rigging as my Dad.  :laugh: He had a pouch that came from some toy the neighbor kid had that was his favorite pocket carry for sub Glocks for years.

Oh, that holster was meant for field use, not concealed carry.  It was put together long before Colorado allowed CC.  

For pocket carry I don't use a holster.  Amusingly, the slab-sided little Kahr CW9 prints worse in my pants than the bulkier (because of the cylinder) J-frame.  The CW9 looks like a gun, but the J-frame just looks like I've got a bunch of junk in my pocket.

On rare special occasions I do use an ankle rig.  After a couple of minutes you get used to it being down there, and it's sort of like wearing shoes.  You don't go around every minute thinking "I'm wearing shoes."  And I don't foresee myself chasing anyone down alleys and climbing fences to apprehend them.  My cane precludes that.

But that's drifting away from fistful's query.

Terry

Note I carry the gun butt-forward on my strong side, contrary to conventional practice.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:15:01 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 01:33:58 AM »
It's one of those that advertises on the Book of Faces. 

Oh. I saw them on The Daily Wire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 08:47:42 AM »
Fisty, I saw that Wee The People had a $10 off code on Facebook.  If you don't do the bookface, I'll watch for it again.

Aaa-yup.  Got a pile, myself, of things that seemed like a good idea at the time.

----edit to add---

Got it.  Here's the code

Same here.  I can at least say this is partly because I change carry guns all the time.  

These days I tend to prefer leather OWB holsters with belt loops.  They seem to hold the gun firmly against the body and it is more comfortable to carry at the 2 or 3 o'clock position.  Partly that is due to how I normally dress when carrying.  A year from now I might prefer something else.  Last holster I bought was from White Hat Holsters because they had one for the Rex Zero 1 pistol.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
For leather holsters, I have some idea of who makes a quality holster. I'm not as well-informed about kydex. If I wanted to go with a trusted name in kydex, who would you concealed carry connoiseurs recommend?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:16:50 PM by fistful »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 05:26:55 PM »
Same here.  I can at least say this is partly because I change carry guns all the time.  

These days I tend to prefer leather OWB holsters with belt loops.  They seem to hold the gun firmly against the body and it is more comfortable to carry at the 2 or 3 o'clock position.  Partly that is due to how I normally dress when carrying.  A year from now I might prefer something else.  Last holster I bought was from White Hat Holsters because they had one for the Rex Zero 1 pistol.

I really like a good, leather OWB. For a hybrid holster, I used to like White Hat, but Comp-Tac's M-Tac is a much better holster, as far as I'm concerned.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »

I used to have a drawerful of holsters, until:

Could I but wave a magic wand, and change anything about the holster market today, one of the first things I'd do is dis-invent the cursed pull-the-dot loops. If there's a loop on a holster, it should be solid: stitched, riveted, whatever, but a solid loop. Sadly, the wand has been misplaced.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 05:04:52 PM »

I've been wanting a holster similar to this one - kydex, IWB, this style of clip (wide clip, not tuckable).

https://wethepeopleholsters.com/collections/springfield-iwb-kydex-holsters/products/springfield-xd-s-3-3-9mm-40sw-45acp-iwb-kydex-holster-we-the-people-holsters

Thanks.

This here is what I have and user right now, for the XDS:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAGUA-BLADE-TECH-Nano-IWB-Right-Hand-Kydex-Concealment-Holster-Choose-Gun/182795306122?hash=item2a8f73048a:m:mXaMFHFtVatboCWUcWGip0A&frcectupt=true.  They come in about the price of the WTP holster.

Looks like this vendor's trying to clearance them.  They still list as available for the XDS.  This probably wouldn't work if you want to be a cool kid and carry appendix.

The commercial holster I've had best luck with so far in general is the Galco Triton, but they've moved into a new version with a single overhook, with no way to use optional loops.  The older ones have a  clip like WTP uses, but an optional double snapping loop (which I use).

I resolved about Christmas time to find a decent holster for my full size XD, and just found one of these for cheap on ebay.  Which is what reminds me to revive this thread and comment here.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Again, for emphasis.

If there's a loop on a holster, it should be solid: stitched, riveted, whatever, but a solid loop.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »
Something like this could be added.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 01:48:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips, lee.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 08:56:02 AM »
Could I but wave a magic wand, and change anything about the holster market today, one of the first things I'd do is dis-invent the cursed pull-the-dot loops. If there's a loop on a holster, it should be solid: stitched, riveted, whatever, but a solid loop. Sadly, the wand has been misplaced.

What's your hate? Difficulty in snapping them on, or retention on the belt?

I have one with the snap loops - a Milt Sparks Watch Six. While they can be a little "fumbly" to snap on, they secure my holster well and only unsnap when I want them to.

In many ways I like them better than the clips on, for example, my Crossbreeds, which are almost too tight. The clips on my Comp-Tacs are very easy to use, but I keep waiting for them to break.  :laugh:

I'm another holster collector and have been switching back from hybrids to all leather. I wear the Watch Six a lot for IWB, a leather slide for OWB, and actually just ordered a Milt Sparks 55BN for OWB carry. I really like all leather for 1911 carry, though if I carry a plastic gun, I still like the hybrids. All leather is just SO comfortable though - especially for IWB.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »
What's your hate? Difficulty in snapping them on, or retention on the belt?

I'm another holster collector and have been switching back from hybrids to all leather. I wear the Watch Six a lot for IWB, a leather slide for OWB, and actually just ordered a Milt Sparks 55BN for OWB carry. I really like all leather for 1911 carry, though if I carry a plastic gun, I still like the hybrids. All leather is just SO comfortable though - especially for IWB.

The snap loops are one of those things that, because everyone uses them, it's hard to find an alternative. Or at least, not a leather one. Here's a company that almost got away from the snapped loop, but really just moved the snap elsewhere.

https://www.frontlineholsters.com/all-products/leather-holsters/deep-concealment-tuckable-holster

So they make a "tuckable" holster, but it has two snaps showing on the belt, instead of less-noticeable plain leather loops.  ???

I know the snaps are supposed to let you put on the holster on, or take it off, without moving the belt. I know that works for some people, somehow. For me, it makes a lot more sense to just leave the loops closed, and run my belt through them. So I'd rather not have snaps in the picture. A solid loop would work better for me.

Yeah, I know, I could get a custom maker to do whatever I wanted. It's just gets too expensive, at that point.

Pretty cool about the 55BN. Those have always looked like really nice holsters, to me. I actually got a holster like that for my XDs (not a Milt Sparks), but it just doesn't fit right on me. I don't know if it's because the guy had the angles/dimensions wrong, or if it's just too small of a gun to work right with that style of holster. The loop spacing conflicts with the belt loops on most of my trousers. But Milt Sparks knows what they're doing. Best of luck with yours.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
You ought to browse through that holstersmith.com website I linked to earlier.  A lot of the small kydex bender type holster makers use standard small components like hooks and loops and hardware, available from places like this.  

I have replaced mounting hardware on at least a couple of my kydex holsters, with other things more to my liking.  I'm planning to do the same when the latest item ordered comes in.

Yeah, snap loop equipped holsters are a small bother to get on.  But they're secure, and don't require me to undo my belt back to the holster position.  (And the popular big footprint hybrid holsters are at least as annoying to put on, even with clips.)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »
big footprint hybrid holsters...

Yeah, I liked those for a while, but one of these really is worth the higher cost. If ya has to have a hybrid.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 10:03:44 PM »
Pretty cool about the 55BN. Those have always looked like really nice holsters, to me. I actually got a holster like that for my XDs (not a Milt Sparks), but it just doesn't fit right on me. I don't know if it's because the guy had the angles/dimensions wrong, or if it's just too small of a gun to work right with that style of holster. The loop spacing conflicts with the belt loops on most of my trousers. But Milt Sparks knows what they're doing. Best of luck with yours.

Thanks. I have always liked the look of them for OWB carry of a full sized 1911 (I suspect, as you alluded to above, it might not be the best design for smaller pistols). The design seems to have withstood the test of time as well. I was almost going to look for one from someone else, but now that Milt (well, Tony to be accurate) is my neighbor, I figured I might as well give him the business. Even if the current backlog is 10 weeks.  =(

They even told me to just come by to get it when it's ready and have a look at the shop. Though that might be dangerous to my wallet.  :laugh:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 08:37:11 PM »
Briefly reopening an older thread

Thanks.

Fisty, you might check out Concealment Express.  They're another vendor you see advertising widely.

I ordered one last Friday for a new gun*.  It came yesterday.  It seems well enough made, and checks off all the boxes as far as function -- holds the gun, adjustable tension, covers the controls, totally covers the trigger guard.  High "sweat shield" like I like.  Wide clip like you like.    $35 shipped.  I can't complain.

Minimal customizability at time of ordering.

(*It's a Taurus G2C.  I thought it was appropriate to get a cheap holster for a cheap gun.  :-)   It's going to be on probation for a while, and I intend to run the crap out of it and document problems, because "Euu Taurus".)

Shootinglady123

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 04:54:58 AM »
I have no experiences with this brand, but I can recommend you Craft Holsters: https://www.craftholsters.com/springfield-xds-iwb-kydex-holsters . I have a few holsters from them and I'm satisfied. Although all of mine are leather, non kydex, I suppose it'll be the same quality ;).