Author Topic: Cheating Fisherman  (Read 987 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cheating Fisherman
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:57:04 PM »
Does this seem harsh to you guys? Nobody likes a cheater, but this guy was arrested for cheating in a fishing tournament. Bail was $25K. I'm pretty sure I've seen a ton of assault arrests that had half that bail amount.

The story is thin on info, so I'm wondering if maybe he won a prize big enough to make it a felony fraud, thus the high bail? I know some of these bass tournaments are big money affairs.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/bass-fisherman-charged-with-fraud-for-allegedly-cheating-during-tournament

EDIT:  I did a search for "bass tournament cheater" to try and find more on this story. Wow - apparently there's a whole history of cheating in bass tournaments.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Cheating Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:07:57 PM »
All fishing tournaments, at least with significant prizes, have had to institute a lot of procedures to prevent and detect cheating.  Pretty common to dissect stomaches of entered fish or x-ray them if kept alive for later release.  Prefishing is another common violation (either to keep and enter a fish caught before the start of the tournament, or to locate a spot for a contender fish).

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »
That tournament had $497,000 in cash and prizes.  First place winner won a $31k bass boat, a new Dodge truck, and $7,000 in cash.

So, yeah, I can imagine there are plenty of cheaters out there.  If this guy initially won a prize because of his cheating, then I think that counts as fraud.  Bail seems high, but the charge seems correct.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:01:04 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
Does this seem harsh to you guys? Nobody likes a cheater, but this guy was arrested for cheating in a fishing tournament. Bail was $25K. I'm pretty sure I've seen a ton of assault arrests that had half that bail amount.

Remember, bail is supposed to ensure you show up for the trial, not be a punishment.  It is also supposed to take the means of the accused into account.

Some states are actually getting rid of it.  The financial situation of people has changed, if the bail system ever worked well it doesn't now.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
Remember, bail is supposed to ensure you show up for the trial, not be a punishment.  It is also supposed to take the means of the accused into account.

Some states are actually getting rid of it.  The financial situation of people has changed, if the bail system ever worked well it doesn't now.
The potential bail requirement is one of the reasons I signed up for the concealed carry insurance stuff.  Without bail, you could end up in jail for months/years even if innocent. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
The potential bail requirement is one of the reasons I signed up for the concealed carry insurance stuff.  Without bail, you could end up in jail for months/years even if innocent. 

Who did you end up going with?  I've thought about CCW ins but never got past the  "sounds like a  good idea" phase.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 03:23:27 PM »
This sounds like a fish story

=D
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »
Who did you end up going with?  I've thought about CCW ins but never got past the  "sounds like a  good idea" phase.

I'm interested in this, too. My research keeps getting interrupted (by little things like a collapsed lung resulting in a brief vacation stay in the ICU at the VA hospital). Most of what I've encountered seem to not be any sort of insurance at all, just prepaid legal services plans.

If anyone has more/better information on actual insurance plans for civilian carry, I'd be happy to see it posted.  [popcorn]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »

The story is thin on info, so I'm wondering if maybe he won a prize big enough to make it a felony fraud, thus the high bail?

Texas Penal Code: Parks and Wildlife § 66.023 (Fraud in Fishing Tournaments)

(bolding mine, Brad)

(a) In this section, “fishing tournament” means a contest in which a prize is to be awarded to one or more participants in the contest based on the weight, length, number, or type of fish caught by the participants or based on any other criteria applicable to the fish caught.

(b) A person commits an offense if, with intent to affect the outcome of a fishing tournament:

(1) the person provides, offers to provide, sells, or offers to sell a fish to a participant in the tournament for the purpose of representing that the fish was caught by the participant in the course of the tournament;

(2) the person, as a participant in the tournament, accepts or agrees to accept a fish from another person for the purpose of representing that the fish was caught by the participant in the course of the tournament;

(3) the person, as a participant in the tournament, represents that a fish was caught by the person in the course of the tournament when in fact the fish was not caught by that person or the fish was not caught in the course of that tournament;

(4) the person alters the length or weight of a fish for the purpose of representing that the fish as entered in the tournament was that length or weight when caught;  or

(5) the person enters a fish in the tournament that was taken in violation of any provision of this code or a proclamation or regulation of the commission adopted under this code.

(c) A person commits an offense if the person sponsors or conducts a fishing tournament and knows of the occurrence in the tournament of activity prohibited by Subsection (b) of this section and does not immediately notify a law enforcement officer commissioned by the director of its occurrence.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that if the offense occurred during a tournament in which any prize or combination of prizes to be awarded for any one category for which an award is given, whether the prize or prizes are to an individual or a team, is worth $10,000 or more in money or goods, the offense is a felony of the third degree.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
Tournament fishers can all ingest a satchel of Richards.
Even the ones that aren't cheating suck.
Bunch of self important, entitled prickless losers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 05:17:40 PM »
This is why, i like the Major League Fishing Tournaments.

1# Judge is on the boat.
2# The fish is caught and goes right on the fish scale.
3# The fish are released.
4# Time penalties for dropping the fish.

No cheating or little cheating.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »
I'm interested in this, too.  [snip] Most of what I've encountered seem to not be any sort of insurance at all, just prepaid legal services plans.

If anyone has more/better information on actual insurance plans for civilian carry, I'd be happy to see it posted.  [popcorn]

I am interested, as well.  Any good info would be appreciated.

This thread is drifting, drifting, drifting...  It seems somehow appropriate given that it involves fishing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.