Author Topic: Gun maker Remington can be sued over Newtown shooting, court rules  (Read 4068 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Could open the floodgates to every gun manufacturer being harassed out of existence.
Bear in mind this coming fron the Connecticut Supreme Court and not a fed court.
Be interesting to see how the feds respond because this flies in the face of The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act  

Gun maker Remington can be sued over Newtown shooting, court rules
http://www.wave3.com/2019/03/15/gun-maker-remington-can-be-sued-over-newtown-shooting-court-rules/

Connecticut Supreme Court Rules Nuisance Lawsuit Against Gun Makers May Continue
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/03/john-boch/connecticut-supreme-court-rules-nuisance-lawsuit-against-gun-makers-may-continue/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Gun maker Remington can be sued over Newtown shooting, court rules
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:59 PM »
Let's hope the federal circus court smacks it down.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:32:04 AM »
Didn't the parents of a victim of the Aurora (Co) movie shooter also try to sue Lucky Gunner for selling him the ammo, and end up having to pay their bills ??

Yes, yes they did.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lonnie-and-sandy-phillips/lucky-gunner-lawsuit_b_8197804.html

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/08/aurora-lawsuit-brady-campaign/

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:41:14 AM »
They're trying a different tactic in this case in that they're not going after Remington for selling the rifle but in the way it was advertised.

The court agreed with the lower court judge’s decision to dismiss claims that directly challenged the federal law shielding the gun companies from litigation, but found the case can move forward based on a state law regarding unfair trade practices.

Justices wrote in the majority opinion that “it falls to a jury to decide whether the promotional schemes alleged in the present case rise to the level of illegal trade practices and whether fault for the tragedy can be laid at their feet.”…

Bushmaster Rifle Ad Reminds Us To Ask More About Masculinity And Gun Violence (PHOTO)
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/emma-gray/bushmaster-rifle-ad-masculinity-gun-violence-newtown-adam-lanza_b_2317924.html
That sentiment has never been so clear as in an advertisement for the .223-calibre semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle — the gun that 20-year-old Adam Lanza used to murder 27 people, and the civilian version of the assault rifle our troops have used in Afghanistan and Iraq. This morning author and activist Jessica Valenti tweeted an image of the ad:
The tagline reads “Consider Your Man Card Reissued.” In a press release for the marketing campaign, distributed in 2010, Bushmaster Firearms explained how one becomes a “card-carrying man”:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 12:51:23 AM »
They think they found a way around The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act 
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 01:00:19 AM »
How the ___ they can think that somehow an ad made Lanza want to go shoot a bunch of elementary school kids is totally beyond me.
But it's probably way more likely they know full well it didn't and they couldn't care less if it did or not. The ends justify the means, right?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 01:36:59 AM »
Shouldn't they be suing the Left for advertising ARs as child-killing doom-slayer weapons of mass destruction?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 05:04:22 AM »
Didn't Lanza's mom buy and own the AR ??   Marketing fail.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 06:59:37 AM »
This will ruling will be slapped down in the Federal courts rather quickly, I'd think.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
This will ruling will be slapped down in the Federal courts rather quickly, I'd think.

And end up costing the families quite a lot of money.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
They are relentless, like zombie hordes.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 08:39:58 AM »

I would hope so but they've been probing for a way to get around The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to keep the gun companies constantly fighting lawsuits. Even if they lose them all the end game is to make it financially ruinous for the gun companies  to stay in business while at the same time fighting endless lawsuits and to do that all they need is a legal loophole to keep them rolling in
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
Didn't Lanza's mom buy and own the AR ??   Marketing fail.

Yep, he kill her first
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 09:12:00 AM »
And end up costing the families quite a lot of money.
And I am sure the groups providing money to try to case will be right there to help them foot the bill.   =(
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »
I would hope so but they've been probing for a way to get around The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to keep the gun companies constantly fighting lawsuits. Even if they lose them all the end game is to make it financially ruinous for the gun companies  to stay in business while at the same time fighting endless lawsuits and to do that all they need is a legal loophole to keep them rolling in
There always seems to be a judge who is willing to make a political ruling. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
 ???  Since Lanza stole the rifle from his mother,  one does have to wonder how Remington's marketing was of any influence.  What if he'd bought  Ruger AR-556 or Springfield Saint?  If he'd actually purchased the weapon, and it could be proved he'd been influenced by advertizing, I could see how the plaintiffs might have a case.
Ct. is a very liberal state ,    however,   and a jury might very well buy the plaintiffs' argument.   Especially since they're going after big business and they have the $$$$$.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
Newspaper article today alleges that Remington was deliberately marketing the rifle to the mentally ill with targeted advertising.

Any lawyer that alleges that ought to be made to pay Remington's legal fees out of his own pocket. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 11:52:30 AM »
Newspaper article today alleges that Remington was deliberately marketing the rifle to the mentally ill with targeted advertising.

Any lawyer that alleges that ought to be made to pay Remington's legal fees out of his own pocket. 

Link?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
Was googling for that and came across this

Tobacco Marketing to the Homeless and Mentally Ill
https://psychcentral.com/blog/tobacco-marketing-to-the-homeless-and-mentally-ill/

Tobacco Companies Made a Habit of Targeting People with Mental Illness
https://www.arundellodge.org/tobacco-companies-made-a-habit-of-targeting-people-with-mental-illness/

:facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 12:34:37 PM »
And another  :facepalm:

Gunmaker’s ads influenced Adam Lanza to buy AR-15 assault rifle for Sandy Hook massacre, lawyer says
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lawyer-gun-maker-not-blame-sandy-hook-ar-15-ads-article-1.3632565
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »

Gunmaker’s ads influenced Adam Lanza to buy AR-15 assault rifle for Sandy Hook massacre, lawyer says
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lawyer-gun-maker-not-blame-sandy-hook-ar-15-ads-article-1.3632565

"It wasn't just that they marketed the weapon looking for people with the characteristics of Adam Lanza. It's that Adam Lanza heard the message, and was driven specifically to the Bushmaster for his weapon for this combat mission."

Koskoff noted the assault rifle was touted as the must-have weapon for any firefight, boasting that opponents were "single-handedly outnumbered" by an owner toting an AR-15.
=(

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »
If I was a manufacturer, I would put out an ad saying "Our upper receiver assemblies and accessories are the perfect match for your Ghost Gun lower" just to watch heads explode.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »
If I was a manufacturer, I would put out an ad saying "Our upper receiver assemblies and accessories are the perfect match for your Ghost Gun lower" just to watch heads explode.

Do it quick. Isn't Connecticut on track to ban "ghost guns"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JN01

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
Couldn't the same law be used to sue violent video game manufacturers and movie producers, claiming their advertising aimed at teenagers inspired them to commit murder?  If advertising is so powerful, don't we need to control all of it, for the children?  [barf]

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 11:53:59 PM »

Wait --  WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   I thought he stole his mother's Bushmaster rifle.   

A lawyer ..... lied??? :facepalm: :O :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero