Author Topic: Gun Show cover charges  (Read 2390 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Gun Show cover charges
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »
Do they have anything besides beef jerky and fake Nazi memorabilia?   :laugh:

You just gotta keep your eyes peeled.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »

You just gotta keep your eyes peeled.

Yep, you're looking for the proverbial diamond in a dog's butt...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »

Why would I wish to examine a canine's rectum for a cubic octahedral form of carbon?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »
 :laugh:  Live long and prosper.   [tinfoil]

:rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:08 AM »

Meh.

I find a decent deal probably every third gunshow I go to, and am entertained at all of them.

I found that Colt and the Smith I got in my thread at the last one.

Time before that I found a local guy that makes really nice custom grips.  I got 2 different 1911 sets and one for my P238.

two trips before that were busts.

Before that I found a NIB 229 Legion at $200 of MSRP about 6 months after release.  Snatched that one.

You have to have realistic expectations, but at there are deals.  I think a lot of the internet grumbling is folks remembering what gunshow prices were like in 1992, and being upset.  If anything, I think show pricing is pretty consistently decent these days because anyone can pull out a smart phone and hit Armslist, Gunbroker, and Buds to see what market value is while standing there at the table.

I actually got my Arisaka that way.  I told the guy that I liked his rifle, but he was about $150 high based on the 4 auctions I showed him.  Grumpy dude said "If you don't like my price buy one of those!".  Isaid OK and hit "Buy it Now" on GB standing in front of his table.  Dude's face was priceless. =D

But the point is, with a little research, and a little patience I routinely find good deals on guns and gun parts.  No Memorabilia, and only enough Jerky to munch on while I wander around.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
The last 5 or 10 years, the cost of parking in Downtown Houston went up.  It is easier to just pay $12 and park in the underground parking across the street from the downtown convention center where the gun show is occasionally.  I haven't been to that one in a while.  There is one out in Pasadena,TX that has free parking which I go to from time to time.  The Houston Gun Collector's Association show used to be huge 20 years ago ( a few times a year), but it has steadily dropped off to where it is almost one of the smaller shows now.  It is in the same complex as the NRG football stadium now and parking is $12 also.

I have heard about a few small town shows here and there that are usually at Knight of Columbus halls or Veterans Halls.  They are usually tiny, but can be interesting. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 09:50:34 AM »
The only time I tried to sell something at a gun show, I was either willing to sell it very cheap or I was disappointed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
I actually got my Arisaka that way.  I told the guy that I liked his rifle, but he was about $150 high based on the 4 auctions I showed him.  Grumpy dude said "If you don't like my price buy one of those!".  Isaid OK and hit "Buy it Now" on GB standing in front of his table.  Dude's face was priceless. =D

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."