Author Topic: Scientific American on (White) Gun Owners  (Read 1161 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Scientific American on (White) Gun Owners
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »
To think that I had a subscription to them in the '80s. They need to take "scientific" out of their title. Does Bloomberg own this magazine now?

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/why-are-white-men-stockpiling-guns/?utm_medium=social&utm_content=organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=SciAm_&sf209438140=1
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Scientific American on (White) Gun Owners
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 10:13:44 PM »
 I used to subscribe to them as well but stop when I noticed their articles started getting more and more political and PC in the 90s
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 11:08:05 PM »
After skimming through about a third of that claptrap I'd read all I needed to know the author is a dissembling fool-born puttock.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 11:38:48 PM »
I gave up on that magazine when they started talking about frying up the placenta and chowing down on it and that was a long time ago.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 09:36:48 AM »
Jeremy Adam Smith

Jeremy Adam Smith is editor of Greater Good magazine and author or co-editor of four books, including The Compassionate Instinct and Are We Born Racist?

So, SciAm lets just anybody talk?

At the bottom in veddy veddy small print:

The views expressed are those of the author(s) and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

Umm, yeah.  OK.  Whatever.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
I had a subscription once. Every single issue was about impending doom from AGW. Every issue. I started calling it "environment catastrophe"  instead of scientific american, and let my subscription lapse.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »
Same as y'all... had a subscription back in the 80s and early 90s. Let it lapse because of all the "ermuhgerd, Global Warming and we're all gonna die!" claptrap.

National Geographic suffered a similar fate.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »
I remember reading Scientific American when I was in school and it still promulgated science rather than politics.

I can't help but wonder if they'll eventually be slapped by the market the way Consumer Reports was when they published article after article about "living on the edge" and the plight of "the poor," who with their limited budgets had to make decisions about whether to buy cigarettes for themselves or baby food for their children. (Cigs won as often as not.)

Droves of people cancelled their CR subscriptions since these articles were devoid of the (supposedly) impartial detailed reviews of various products people might buy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »
I remember reading Scientific American when I was in school and it still promulgated science rather than politics.

I can't help but wonder if they'll eventually be slapped by the market the way Consumer Reports was when they published article after article about "living on the edge" and the plight of "the poor," who with their limited budgets had to make decisions about whether to buy cigarettes for themselves or baby food for their children. (Cigs won as often as not.)

Droves of people cancelled their CR subscriptions since these articles were devoid of the (supposedly) impartial detailed reviews of various products people might buy.

I dropped CR when they has a comparison between the Ford Explorer and the Mazda Navajo. They thought the Ford was terrible and the Mazda was great. Apparently they didn't realize they were the exact same vehicle made on the same assembly line and the only difference was the logo on the grill.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:31 AM »
I figure the market has hurt Scientific American which is why they have gone full on liberal.  Rich liberals seem to enjoy owning these publishing outlets and putting radical leftists in charge. 

On the article subject, I guess it is just one more attempt to demonize guns.  This time trying to tag them with "racism" which seems to be something liberals try to tag on anything they don't like. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:58:19 AM »
I figure the market has hurt Scientific American which is why they have gone full on liberal.  Rich liberals seem to enjoy owning these publishing outlets and putting radical leftists in charge. 

Also "coffee table magazines" for rich liberals. Kinda like they only watch PBS (like Beto), or drive a Prius instead of an Insight, because it's more noticeable for the "lib cred".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."