Author Topic: Live in WA? Trump May Not be on Your 2020 Ballot  (Read 3418 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Live in WA? Trump May Not be on Your 2020 Ballot
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »

Which kind of leads us back to "minimal requirements". Otherwise we go to what we joke around about here once in a while - a comprehensive IQ test for every US citizen over 35, and whoever gets the highest score is dragged out of their home kicking and screaming and forced to be President.  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJIjoE27F-Q
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »

I knew that would pop up at some point!  :laugh:

I actually have to watch that movie again - it has been years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
AOC is requesting more time to work on the bucket question.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »
:lol:

That movie has become funnier the older it gets.  Who knew it would seem to be predicting the future.  Much worse than global warming.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »
:lol:

That movie has become funnier the older it gets.  Who knew it would seem to be predicting the future.  Much worse than global warming.

I'm afraid I'm starting to look at it as the opposite of funny these days. Every "It's funny because it's so far-fetched" thing from the last few decades is starting to come true.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »
There are plenty of clean living IYI’s (intellectuals yet idiots) out there who through hubris would inadvertently be disastrous Presidents.

High IQ is the best indicator of success in many/most vocations. You need more than just IQ to be a good prez
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 09:46:41 AM »
I agree with Ron.  High IQ is excellent, but not sufficient by itself for a good leader.

Look at Woodrow Wilson, a professor and a disaster as a president.

One of the smartest kids I went to school with was a communist.  (He has since evolved into a left-wing anarchist which is sort of an improvement I guess).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
There are plenty of clean living IYI’s (intellectuals yet idiots) out there who through hubris would inadvertently be disastrous Presidents.

High IQ is the best indicator of success in many/most vocations. You need more than just IQ to be a good prez

Yes of course that's true, hence my emoji to show the joke. The point was that the most qualified person to be president probably wouldn't want the job. :)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
Yes of course that's true, hence my emoji to show the joke. The point was that the most qualified person to be president probably wouldn't want the job. :)
Sometimes I think that should be part of the job requirement.  The problem is how to identify them and draft them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
I’ve voted for some real clunkers over the years.

In hindsight it might have turned out better that “our side” didn’t win against Obama.

Romney and McCain both have turned out to be the worst kind of swamp creatures.

Swamp creatures of the right have never conserved anything and are really leftists for all practical purposes.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »

In hindsight it might have turned out better that “our side” didn’t win against Obama.

Swamp creatures of the right have never conserved anything and are really leftists for all practical purposes.

Because Gerald Ford was hated (as a connection to Nixon) we got Jimmy Carter.

Because Jimmy Carter was a disaster, we got Ronald Reagan.

Because Reagan was so well loved, we got George H.W. Bush. He was supposed to be a good president, following on a great president.

Because George H.W. Bush was awful and duplicitous (and Ross Perot! who was a symptom of how fed up people were) we got Bill Clinton.

Because Clinton was embarrassing and a worse liar, we got George W. Bush.

Because George W. Bush was maligned (mostly wrongly, but he never defended himself on that front) and because we didn't have the will for what needed to be done in Iraq and Afghanistan, we got Obama.

Because Obama was so disastrous (although people loved him!) AND because the Democrats nominated Hillary, we got Trump. Who is turning out to be a good President so far. (Although people seem to hate him.)

For all of my life+ a decade or more, we have gotten Presidents (except for one!) because people were sick of the last one. Not because they were impressed by the quality of the candidate they voted for, but because they didn't want to continue down the path of the previous president.

What I'm trying to say is that IF we had gotten Romney or McCain, we'd have just delayed Obama or someone like him for a few years. We seem to be perpetually disgusted by our leaders. (There are times I can remember everyone being united, but they are few are far between.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 11:08:36 AM »
They may not have been as successful as they could have been, but I think people take for granted a lot that was fought for.

What has conservatism conserved? It’s conserved life, liberty, and prosperity. That makes it one of the most consequential and successful movements in American history, whatever its detractors might claim.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
They may not have been as successful as they could have been, but I think people take for granted a lot that was fought for.

Like the Washington Generals they’ve performed their role.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 09:06:00 PM »

I voted for McCain basically hoping he'd vapor lock and give us Palin.  When I lived in AZ I voted for the libertarian candidate when his Senate seat was up.  I voted for Romney largely because Obama was so bad, but I certainly wasn't excited about him.  I didn't vote Trump (wrote in Opus and Bill the Cat), but at this rate I'm likely to vote for him in 2020.  Not like it matters much, being in deep blue WA.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »

Methinks the mewling capitulator doth protest too much.

I note that most of the "victories" he points to are at the state level. Conservatism has done a very good job in the states.

At the national level, he mostly talks about how the Republicans stopped the left. You know, after having handed them power because the right did nothing with it.

Our problem is exactly the problem writ large that Lawdog talked about with the gun rights cake. The left demands the whole cake, the "elite" right agree to give them half and calls it a win. And then when the left demands the whole (half) a cake, the "elite" right gives them half of that, and calls it a win. Ad infinitum.

No, our problem is that, when in power, the right does nothing to advance the goals it claims to have. THEY COULDN'T EVEN DEFUND PLANNED PARENTHOOD. Control of all three branches, and couldn't even do that.

Because they are a bunch of cowards, who, I am starting to suspect, don't really believe the things they claim to in order to get elected.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
I think makattak is right on the federal level, esp with his example of funding Planned Parenthood.  Their refusal to fund the wall or do the slightest thing to cut down on illegal immigration makes it clear that they only care to do what big business wants them to do.

Immigration is an existential threat to conservatism, and those "Rupublican" rat %$^&* in congress don't care.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
Immigration is an existential threat to conservatism, and those "Rupublican" rat %$^&* in congress don't care.

It's important to note:

They are not unconcerned about the threat because they don't think it will harm conservatism. It's that they are unconcerned about the threat because they know immigration will harm conservatism, but they don't really care about conservatism, anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Threat to conservatism? Will it "harm conservatism?" Really?

Why do so many people talk this way, as if we were just worried about our side, and our policy victories are victories for our side? This isn't about us, and it's not about one side, or so-called conservatives. When gun rights are defended, everyone wins. When taxes come down, or the border is enforced, or [insert policy here], everyone wins - lefties, righties, whites, blacks, Christians, Muslims, homosexuals, and homosexual, Muslim, artisanal beard oil salesmen.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »
Threat to conservatism? Will it "harm conservatism?" Really?

Why do so many people talk this way, as if we were just worried about our side, and our policy victories are victories for our side? This isn't about us, and it's not about one side, or so-called conservatives. When gun rights are defended, everyone wins. When taxes come down, or the border is enforced, or [insert policy here], everyone wins - lefties, righties, whites, blacks, Christians, Muslims, homosexuals, and homosexual, Muslim, artisanal beard oil salesmen.

No, while all those people are better off by living in a more sane, just, and prosperous country, the vast majority of identities don't "win," because they aren't interested in a more sane, just, or prosperous country, but in one where they are in charge.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
Demographic replacement is a tried and true method of toppling empires and taking the remains over.

It’s playing the long game.

Short of a miracle, heritage Americans have already lost the long game.

We live in cargo cult America now.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »
No, while all those people are better off by living in a more sane, just, and prosperous country, the vast majority of identities don't "win," because they aren't interested in a more sane, just, or prosperous country, but in one where they are in charge.

Possibly. On the other hand:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/embourgeoisement
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2019, 11:58:59 AM »
No majority is voting for conservatives or conservative values except for older white people, mostly men.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-if-only-men-voted-only-women-only-nonwhite-voters/