Author Topic: This could have turned real bad real fast  (Read 1881 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
This could have turned real bad real fast
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
I fear we may be seeing more of this.

"Three deputies arrived on scene and were immediately met with verbal hostilities from the large group of teenagers, to include racial slurs, cursing and threats of assault," the sheriff's office said in a statement.
As the deputies attempted to address a specific individual, about 60 to 70 teenagers began to "close in" on the deputies, the statement said.
Youth basketball game becomes riot, as 9 teens arrested after crowd 'closes in' on deputies
https://www.foxnews.com/us/9-juveniles-arrested-after-brawl-in-washington-middle-school-involving-33-police-units-at-least-60-teenagers
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
Re: This could have turned real bad real fast
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
Police are vastly outnumbered everywhere.  In reality their ability to do their job relies on the support of the community, and society as a whole.

On the community side, if they lose support they can up the violence to a certain point, and then the community just decides to return violence.  This can be seen in the "police no-go" neighborhoods popping up in immigrant communities in Europe, and in the extreme in places like Mogadishu, where government policing doesn't exist for practical purposes.

When the whole society begins to question the police you get things like juries that convict cops that didn't actually do anything wrong, and very restrictive laws/policies.  There's currently a bill floated that would require LEO's to get supervisor approval before unholstering.  Obviously that bill is going nowhere, but it's a red flag that at least some legislators have completely lost faith in the Police.

I think it's telling that here, on a forum that is pretty conservative, older, and pretty veteran heavy we routinely have conversations about lack of trust in Law Enforcement.  Hawkmoon said a couple days ago that he thinks LEO's are teaching techniques to justify shooting people behind the scenes.  We're a LONG way from Andy Griffith when normal folks think that cops are planning how to shoot folks and justify it.

On the OP, Sure.  If you think that the cops are out to get you and your friends, and you can't get a fair shake from them, and they are in your neighborhood, and you have them outnumbered 20 to 1, why would you even let them pretend they have authority?  I'm kind of surprised that they managed to arrest anyone.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
Diversity + Proximity = Conflict

We no longer live in a high social trust society that shares the same value system

Just keep telling yourself “diversity is our strength” while you stop struggling, relax and try and enjoy it.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:56:04 AM »
When the whole society begins to question the police you get things like juries that convict cops that didn't actually do anything wrong, and very restrictive laws/policies.  There's currently a bill floated that would require LEO's to get supervisor approval before unholstering.  Obviously that bill is going nowhere, but it's a red flag that at least some legislators have completely lost faith in the Police.

If you're referring to this https://bluenewsnetwork.com/new-bill-would-require-officers-to-call-supervisor-before-drawing-weapons/
That's a satirical news site

About Blue News Network

If you haven’t figured it out yet, this is a satirical news website.  While some stuff may bear a strong resemblance to the truth, we assure you it is most decidedly bullshit.  We are just a few bored cops who thought we would make sport of triggering people and having a little fun at the expense of rookies, dispatchers, and troopers.  If you don’t like what we are doing here, I am sorry to tell you that we do not care.  Have a great life, and stress less about the things you cannot control, like what we write on this site.

For the cops on the road, you have our respect, even if we tease you a little.  Be careful, and come home safe.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
If you're referring to this https://bluenewsnetwork.com/new-bill-would-require-officers-to-call-supervisor-before-drawing-weapons/
That's a satirical news site

I was, thanks for pointing that out.

I think my point still stands however, that representatives of major sections of society are getting increasingly hostile to police.  I think that accurately reflects the society they represent.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
I was, thanks for pointing that out.

I think my point still stands however, that representatives of major sections of society are getting increasingly hostile to police.  I think that accurately reflects the society they represent.

In their idea society only the NKVD would have guns
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 02:22:49 PM »
Diversity + Proximity = Conflict

We no longer live in a high social trust society that shares the same value system

Just keep telling yourself “diversity is our strength” while you stop struggling, relax and try and enjoy it.

Quoted just because it's true and worth repeating.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 02:45:48 PM »
In their idea society only the NKVD would have guns
Nope.

Also the OGPU, Cheka, GRU, Stasi, Sigurimi, MVD, KGB . . .

One agency wouldn't be enough to do it all.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 02:55:46 PM »
Nope.

Also the OGPU, Cheka, GRU, Stasi, Sigurimi, MVD, KGB . . .

One agency wouldn't be enough to do it all.

You have to keep it down to one so that AOC can keep track
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
You have to keep it down to one so that AOC can keep track
She's got Omar, Tlaib, Green, and maybe even Schiff to help out.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain