Author Topic: Lawnmower parents now  (Read 2018 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Lawnmower parents now
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
You know about helicopter parents - now meet the lawnmower parents!

https://www.weareteachers.com/lawnmower-parents/

I hope to become a parent someday, so I guess I'd better choose the vehicle I want to be. Tank? Ice cream truck? Cement mixer? Vespa?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Lawnmower parents now
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
You know about helicopter parents - now meet the lawnmower parents!

https://www.weareteachers.com/lawnmower-parents/

I hope to become a parent someday, so I guess I'd better choose the vehicle I want to be. Tank? Ice cream truck? Cement mixer? Vespa?

I read that URL as "wereteachers.com"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
But in raising children who have experienced minimal struggle, we are not creating a happier generation of kids. We are creating have created a generation that has no what idea what to do when they actually encounter struggle. A generation who panics or shuts down at the mere idea of failure. A generation for whom failure is far too painful, leaving them with coping mechanisms like addiction, blame, and internalization. The list goes on.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »
Thinking back to my childhood, from the title I thought it was something about a kid who was now old enough to mow the lawn and had that added to his/her chores by Mom & Dad . . .

Silly me.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »

Try not to become a bulldozer parent. Perhaps a scooter parent would be about right.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 02:31:34 PM »
For my kids, SWMBO and I developed a nuclear deterrence policy with most teachers and coaches.  Supported them in terms of making the kids do the work, holding the kids accountable for missed work or poor grades, etc. 

Oh, but if you screw with our kid?  We will nuke you.  Just so you know.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »
I have a rule...the more “unique” the name the worse the coddling and spoiling and the worse the kid will turn out to be.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
I hope that my children will remember me for telling them "Figure it out."

My son is (so far) the worst about this and wanting to quit when things get a little tough. I am, however, seeing hope in how, after we worked on some of his new lego sets together, he wanted to do them on his own.*

I want my job to be to prepare them for the world, not clear the world for them. I also know we are outliers in a lot of ways in this culture. (Usually purposely so.)

*No, not do the same one over. They were 3-in-1 sets and he wanted to make the different things on his own.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
I have a rule...the more “unique” the name the worse the coddling and spoiling and the worse the kid will turn out to be.

Hold on now. Making fun of peoples' names is racist, and will get your thread locked. Racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCmTiw0XlRs

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 04:35:22 PM »
I’m talking about strictly white “unique” names...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »

I'm not prejudiced when it comes to silly names.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
Lawnmower, Helicopter, whatever the next fad phrase is for parents who don't parent, it doesn't matter. The result is the same. Entitled brats who can't function, even *with* their stupid "safe spaces" crayons and juice boxes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »
Lawnmower, Helicopter, whatever the next fad phrase is for parents who don't parent, it doesn't matter. The result is the same. Entitled brats who can't function, even *with* their stupid "safe spaces" crayons and juice boxes.

No, no -- Crayons are not allowed in safe spaces. First, they contain substances known to the State of California as being potentially carcinogenic. Secondly, kids might eat them, and one of the little buttercups might have an allergic reaction.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
No, no -- Crayons are not allowed in safe spaces. First, they contain substances known to the State of California as being potentially carcinogenic. Secondly, kids might eat them, and one of the little buttercups might have an allergic reaction.

Only the future of the Marine Corp.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »
Got some real winners for commenters under that article.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »

I hope to become a parent someday

You better hurry up, you don't want to be retirement age before kiddos are graduating from high school.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 09:26:11 PM »

Or decide to become a Marine!
Which, if you think about it, isn't that much different.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 11:22:59 PM »
makattak remarked,

"I want my job to be to prepare them for the world, not clear the world for them."

Sage.

Like.

Steal.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
Yep. I coached little league for about 7 years. Unique names more often than not, fall into 2 camps:
-Single mom, kid has to be taught how to throw a baseball (not the kid's fault), 50/50 whether or not the kid throws tantrums. Either one in this case have been fixable- teach kid to throw a ball and by the end of the season, he's catching up to his teammates. Having team or individual run laps around outside of field, and giving encouragement for good sportsmanship usually fixes the latter.
-Kid is special, and the parents scream at the umps and coaches if things don't go the kid's way, about 80/20 the kid throws tantrums. Not much can be done about these.

I can only remember having two 'problem' players with a traditional name.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »
The anecdote about the water bottle reminds me of something that happened last year. I was working at a side job, installing LED tubes at a preschool. The guy running the job brought his teenaged grandson. He was helpful enough, and only slightly obnoxious, for a teenaged boy. At some point, Grandpa got him a bottled water, and Grandkid was glad, because he's "not a tap water kid."  :facepalm:

Which reminds of what happened last weekend. Once again, I was installing LED tubes, and a teenager was sent to "help" me. I asked him to take 2 LED tubes out of the thin, paper and cardboard sleeve. The sleeves fit pretty tightly, but you could still slide them off the tube. This guy couldn't get anywhere that way, so he started tearing little scraps off at each end, until he could finally manage to pull the tube out of the sleeve. The first time he did this, nothing went wrong. It just took longer than if I had done it myself, and made a mess on the floor. The second time, in his fumbling around, he let the end of the tube thump good and hard on the floor, breaking the pins.  :facepalm:

Brawndo's got electrolytes.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 05:21:38 PM »
The anecdote about the water bottle reminds me of something that happened last year. I was working at a side job, installing LED tubes at a preschool. The guy running the job brought his teenaged grandson. He was helpful enough, and only slightly obnoxious, for a teenaged boy. At some point, Grandpa got him a bottled water, and Grandkid was glad, because he's "not a tap water kid."  :facepalm:

I'm pretty sure had I said that to my Grandpa Ed, I'd have gotten bopped on the head. Grandpa Frank would have just given me A Look.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »
According to this article, helicopter, lawnmower, and bulldozer parenting are basically the same thing.

https://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/what-is-helicopter-parenting/

I guess I'm a satellite parent -- I orbit so far above my daughter's sphere of activity that I need massive technology to even try to detect what she's up to.