Author Topic: Colorado's Electoral College votes are now tied to the national popular vote  (Read 1605 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I'm not sure how they can call this constitutional since it basically can flip whoever Coloradans actually voted for.

It’s called the Popular Vote Interstate Compact. It’s simple. A state’s electoral college votes are allocated to whoever wins the national popular vote. Period. It’s constitutional and some prominent conservatives are pushing or it.
ICYMI: Colorado’s Governor Signs Bill That Alters Its Electoral College Participation
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/03/18/icymi-colorados-governor-signs-bill-that-alters-its-electoral-college-participation-n2543247
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
The compact doesn't have any legal force until states making up 270 votes enact it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

This would make the presidential electrion a direct vote election nation wide.

WLJ

• friends
The compact doesn't have any legal force until states making up 270 votes enact it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

I missed that part
So that actually just makes it a smoke and mirrors bill to appease the libs until then.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I still wouldn't call it smoke and mirrors. Even if it were 400 instead of 270, a state(s) is saying the votes of its populace don't matter. What they want to do is exactly what they are falsely stating is being done by the electoral college.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
While I think we could do better than the current electoral college system, I am not a fan of this 'workaround'.
If it's going to be changed it should be done properly with a Constitutional amendment.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
While I think we could do better than the current electoral college system, I am not a fan of this 'workaround'.
If it's going to be changed it should be done properly with a Constitutional amendment.

But to do that, the locusts leftists would have to get a SUPER majority to change the rules. And that's not fair! It should only take a majority to change the rules by which we vote on rules!

Because any voting that takes something other than just a majority is not fair. It should always be a majority. Unless the locusts leftists win some other way, then that is the way it has to be.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
But to do that, the locusts leftists would have to get a SUPER majority to change the rules. And that's not fair! It should only take a majority to change the rules by which we vote on rules!

Because any voting that takes something other than just a majority is not fair. It should always be a majority. Unless the locusts leftists win some other way, then that is the way it has to be.

Then I guess the Left would not be OK with laws being changed or set aside by a handful of Supreme Court justices, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I can't wait to hear the whining and crying when the Supreme Court overturns this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
 [popcorn]

When is the national popular vote Democratic presidential primary?

— Phil Kerpen (@kerpen) March 20, 2019

THIS is a great idea.
    One national Democratic primary.
    No delegates. Pure democracy.
    Put your money where your mouth is Dems. Do it now.
    Every vote counts. https://t.co/0bTz4SYjbE

— Joseph Spiegel (@joedocbc) March 20, 2019

BOOM: Here’s how 2020 Dems can prove they’re SUPER SERIOUS about the ‘national popular vote’ idea
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/03/20/boom-heres-how-2020-dems-can-prove-theyre-super-serious-about-the-national-popular-vote-idea/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
[popcorn]

BOOM: Here’s how 2020 Dems can prove they’re SUPER SERIOUS about the ‘national popular vote’ idea
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/03/20/boom-heres-how-2020-dems-can-prove-theyre-super-serious-about-the-national-popular-vote-idea/

That's unfair! When the Democrats use delegates it's democratic!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
That's unfair! When the Democrats use delegates it's democratic!

And their super-delegates are super-democratic.

brimic

• friends
I can't wait to hear the whining and crying when the Supreme Court overturns this.
Or when Trump wins the popular vote in 2020... and he wins the EC because of Colorado's votes >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Or when Trump wins the popular vote in 2020... and he wins the EC because of Colorado's votes >:D

This.  The Law of Unintended Consequences always rears its ugly head to bite you in the 4th point of contact.

The wailing and nashing of teeth from the left will be delicious, those will be some of finest vintage leftist tears ever....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend

sumpnz

• friend
https://fee.org/articles/why-national-popular-vote-would-be-a-disaster-for-america-and-npv-supporters/

Something else to consider.  NPV sends those electoral votes to the "winner" of the popular vote.  That doesn't mean whoever gets a majority.  A plurality is plenty.  Which means that it's entirely possible to win with as little as 20% of the vote.  Since lots of Hollyweird types, billionaires, and various cranks will be running, along with more or less serious candidates from the major parties, the two major parties will quickly become essentially irrelevant, at least for POTUS. 

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
the two major parties will quickly become essentially irrelevant

That part doesn't sound so bad... =)

I have to admit, I was unaware of a lot of the party nomination history.
Any of you guys in favor of going back to the good old days?
For most of American history, ordinary citizens not only did not participate in the nomination process, they did not expect to participate. Of course, the machinations of the various political parties in choosing their nominees was the stuff of great drama. Ordinary citizens read the newspaper accounts from the convention cities with great interest. Later on, they huddled around the radio to hear live speeches coming from the convention. And still later, they watched the conventions unfold on television. But the only way ordinary citizens could have a say in who they nominated was to participate in party politics at the precinct, county, or state level and hope to eventually get to vote for the convention delegates. For almost two centuries, from 1796 to 1968, the candidates who ran for president were chosen in a process that was almost entirely closed to the public. Most Americans today would consider these processes unfair and undemocratic.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:44:06 PM by DittoHead »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.