Author Topic: I don't *love* defensive shotguns...  (Read 291 times)

dogmush

• friend
I don't *love* defensive shotguns...
« on: January 22, 2024, 11:49:16 AM »
But this seems kinda neat:

https://youtu.be/3yHvixS4Q4w?t=305

TL:DR:  PSA has a prototype, modular, pump shotgun that may or may not be coming out.  I like the receiver being direct cut for a MRDS, the slide release being easy to get to (sadly doesn't look ambi) and the "build it yourself" modularity.  If they actually make it, I might sell one of my pump 12 gas to play with this concept.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: I don't *love* defensive shotguns...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 02:37:26 PM »
How useful is a RDS on a shotgun?
I’ve never shot with one. But I have shot many thousands of rounds hunting and trap and skeet and sporting clays. I could only imagine using it for slugs and being a nuisance for anything else.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 03:00:39 PM »
I am not a shotgunner by any stretch, but I imagine it will do the same as a RDS on any other weapon.  Help facilitate two eyes open, target focused shooting, which leads to faster mor accurate shot placement.

I see a fair bit of Red dot's on shotguns in the practical shooting sports, and a bunch of rails to mount optics on pretty much every combat shotgun currenttly being used on the two way range.  Beyond that it's out of my wheelhouse to say how useful.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL4n1NgbZ0

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 03:14:46 PM »
I rarely see a combat shotgun (at least the autoloaders) review anymore where the reviewer doesn't have an RD mounted on the gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 04:02:11 PM »
I would prefer a cheap red dot over an RDS just off the top of my head.  Long battery life red dots are cheap these days.  Pistol dots are getting cheaper, but still more expensive.  The shake awake options would solve part of that.  Maybe if they have a way to set a rail over that RDS mount. 
I like the modular idea.  But, you can get decent pump shotguns pretty cheap at times so I don't know how big the market will be.  But if they work well and the modular options are good, it still might sell.

The 5.7 carbine looks interesting even if I can't think I what I would do with it.  I would rather get a Jakl first.  He mentioned a 10mm pistol.  The modular bolt action also looks interesting, but depends on accuracy.  I have been eyeing the Howa options on Brownells a while. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 04:20:59 PM »
I would like to try one with an RDS some day but I already shoot both eyes open and target focused.
I can also break 10 or more targets out of 25 from the 16 yard post shooting from the hip.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 10:08:03 PM »
RDS is also going to be good in the dark as well. The slide release is brilliant, that is the biggest controls shortcoming of many pump guns. Ammo loading is the other and the 590 design excels at smooth loading

I fitted and adjusted my 870 to be perfect so when I hit my cheek weld it’s a perfect match every time.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 07:10:52 AM »
I rarely see a combat shotgun (at least the autoloaders) review anymore where the reviewer doesn't have an RD mounted on the gun.

Why the hell would you want a radar detector on a shotgun? So your slugs can go over the speed limit?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 09:57:13 AM »
RDS is also going to be good in the dark as well. The slide release is brilliant, that is the biggest controls shortcoming of many pump guns. Ammo loading is the other and the 590 design excels at smooth loading

I fitted and adjusted my 870 to be perfect so when I hit my cheek weld it’s a perfect match every time.
Usefulness at night is probably the most important feature especially when talking about defense shotguns.  Someone could probably make a front night sight, but a red dot takes care of that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge