Author Topic: Hudson Manufacturing Files For Bankruptcy  (Read 2675 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Hudson Manufacturing Files For Bankruptcy
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:08:14 AM »
Hudson Manufacturing, makers of the much-vaunted Hudson H9, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on March 14th. This is, presumably, in direct response to their previously cataloged troubles. Cambridge Valley Machining has sued Hudson over unpaid debts after being contracted to machine parts for them.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

There are several different types, or chapters, of bankruptcies that individuals and companies can file for. Hudson has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, meaning that they have chosen to liquidate all their assets to absolve their debts.

There are some interesting titbits in Hudson’s filing. First, their estimated assets are less than $50,000 USD. However, their liabilities are somewhere between $10 million and $50 million dollars. In fact, according to the filings, Cambridge Valley Machining might not even be their largest creditor. While estimates of how much Hudson owes Cambridge Valley vary, the value is certainly more than $500,000, and probably under $1 million. That leaves at least $9 million in debt unaccounted for, and possibly as much as $49 million. Their list of creditors spans 18 pages.
OUCH!

BREAKING NEWS: Hudson Manufacturing Files For Bankruptcy
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/18/hudson-manufacturing-files-for-bankruptcy/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Hudson Manufacturing Files For Bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »
Saw that.  Specialized and expensive.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »
I guess that means the threaded barrel isn't going to be back in stock on their website.  Glad I picked up a few more magazines last month.  

Sad to see.  I like my pistol.  Feels real good in the hand, great trigger, and smooth shooter.  I never had any problems.  Sounds like some did.  Might have to see what prices do on the pistols still for sale.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:16:56 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
Reading through the article and links, looks like I am lucky to get the extra magazines I got.  Sounds like they stopping making guns last Fall.  Also, I may have been fortunate to get my pistol early last year before they started having supplier issues.  I was hoping see what their H9A lighter weight design would be.  I was also sort of wondering if they would make a 1911 style thumb safety for it.  It has a cut out in the frame where it looks like one could be installed.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:22:23 PM »
Another reason not to be an early adopter of a unique new gun from a small new company.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
If I had been one of the ones who had problems, I wouldn't be happy.  Since mine works fine, I don't regret the purchase.  I have carried it and used it in a few Practical Pistol matches and it worked well for me. 

I was hoping to see where they went with this design going forward, but that probably won't happen now.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
Maybe someone will pick it up and remarket it.
Be interesting to see what the design and tooling could be bought for.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »
I also hope someone picks up the design rights on the cheap.  It sounds like Hudson made very little in house so I doubt there is much tooling to be had. 

I would be curious to know who gets the parts and where they might end up on sale.  Sounded like some of the optics ready slides were still in stock. 

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
That company is about 20 miles from me in Temple Tx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »
Thats a shame, it was a cool gun.  Buddy had one and it handled and shot well.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 07:46:20 AM »
Ian posted this this morning

Hudson Mfg Bankruptcy and the Reality of Firearms Manufacturing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGcsYH0lOs
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »

Hudson Mfg Bankruptcy and the Reality of Firearms Manufacturing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGcsYH0lOs
Thanks. 

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 10:46:18 AM »

As soon as he mentioned the aluminum version I kind of knew where it was going.   Announced aluminum version causes drop in sales of the steel version they're actually making, choking cash flow, leading to spiral of doom.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 10:51:50 AM »
As soon as he mentioned the aluminum version I kind of knew where it was going.   Announced aluminum version causes drop in sales of the steel version they're actually making, choking cash flow, leading to spiral of doom.

The Osborne effect

For those not familiar with the term https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect  
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
The had the lighter H9A version at the NRA show also.  It is lighter and they said it would be available later in the year.  I hadn't thought about people waiting to get the newer pistol, but that makes sense.

Considering the entire firearms industry saw a bit of a slump last summer that probably did put them in a bad spot.  I do remember seeing some pretty good prices on their H9 pistols by late summer.  I guess the QA/QC issues hit them when they were already in trouble.   

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »
People actually liked and bought the H9?

I remember seeing it, and talking to the major people behind it, at the SHOT Show in 2017, the year they introduced it. To say that I was not impressed would be an understatement. I think it might have made a decent $400 pistol -- if it didn't have quality issues. At $1,100 it was grotesquely over-priced.

I also remember that I had several questions that nobody at their booth could answer. At this point I don't recall what those questions were, but I distinctly remember getting a lot of "Oh, you need to talk to ___ about that. He [/she] is over there."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »

I remember seeing it, and talking to the major people behind it, at the SHOT Show in 2017, the year they introduced it. To say that I was not impressed would be an understatement. I think it might have made a decent $400 pistol -- if it didn't have quality issues. At $1,100 it was grotesquely over-priced.

Everything I've read is that you had to shoot to appreciate the gun qualities   
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
Everything I've read is that you had to shoot to appreciate the gun qualities   

Everything I've read about it made me think you need to be a high end competitive shooter to get benefit from it.   A normal service size 9mm just isn't going to have that disruptive of a recoil to matter to most people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »
It is a noticeably smooth shooter and the 1911 style trigger just adds a little more to it.  The way the grip and trigger feels make me almost wish it had a 1911 thumb safety also.  Fit and finish and grip texture are excellent on mine.  Everyone I have heard from who has actually shot it liked it.  The only negative I recall hearing was some reviewers thought the reliability was good, but not quite 100%.  

To me it is a unique gun that shoots well.  I have bought my share of guns that I regret buying, but this wasn't one of them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »

I also remember that I had several questions that nobody at their booth could answer. At this point I don't recall what those questions were, but I distinctly remember getting a lot of "Oh, you need to talk to ___ about that. He [/she] is over there."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/19/blowout-hudson-pistols/
Apparently prices are a lot closer to what you are looking for.   =D

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 04:06:21 PM »
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/19/blowout-hudson-pistols/
Apparently prices are a lot closer to what you are looking for.   =D

And the very next day, the prices jump $200. His blog post (and pic) said $599 and following the link, it is now $799.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2024, 11:28:49 AM »
It's baaaack, sort of
Basically they found the need to "re-engineered" pretty much every part so don't expect part interchangeably with the original

The Hudson H9 is Back? The Daniel Defense H9 Pistol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgLKHFudbnQ
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 09:54:11 AM »
I have a Hudson H9.  I like it.  Mine worked great.  I used it in a couple of practical pistol matches.  I have been reluctant to shoot it a great deal as I heard people say they were fragile.  Never had an issue with mine, but I only have several hundred rounds through it.  If I could get a new and improved version, I probably would.  I hope testing and reviews show Daniel Defense's H9 to be a good pistol.  I also hope it has a lower street price.