Author Topic: Heartland floods and Nigerian martyrs  (Read 547 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Heartland floods and Nigerian martyrs
« on: March 19, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/03/how_do_we_know_what_we_know.html

As I sit here writing, a terrible thing is happening. It started mid-week, but there’s nothing being reported on the national news.  No TV cameras or on-the-street interviews. I saw blurbs on Drudge and Breitbart this morning (Sunday), but no big fuss.  As of this moment 54 of Nebraska’s 93 counties have been declared disaster areas.  Seventeen rivers have set flood records and some six million people are affected. Offutt Air Force Base, just outside of Omaha, looks more like an inland sea – thirty buildings are closed due to the flooding. South Dakota and Iowa have been affected as well.

This last week, on the other side of the world, 32 Nigerian Christians were brutally murdered by jihadists. Some missionary sources say the number is closer to 200. Has that been on the news? No. We heard all about the mosque attack in Christchurch, but not a word about Nigeria.  In the last few years 6,000 Nigerian Christians have been murdered –- burned in their own churches, beheaded, mutilated. But no major news stories. Silence.

I don't take in much of legacy media, so I'm not sure how accurate this assessment is. Still, it's always interesting to think about what isn't considered a major story, and how that affects our perceptions.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
Re: Heartland floods and Nigerian martyrs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
If only the media loved America as much as it loves Islam.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Heartland floods and Nigerian martyrs
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
I actually have heard of both.

We have flooding in Our Little City.   Mostly the eastern edge in the floodplain of the Pecatonica, where it's flooded again.  It does that every few years.  That's also where housing is run down and cheap, and poor folks live.  And yes, we have gotten some big city news our way.  And I saw us on some news website, as part of a story on flooding in Flyoverland.

News from Cylinder & Slide popped up in my Book of Faces (not sure why, I don't think I "liked" them).  Where ever it is they are, they basically got cut off from the outside world for a while.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.