Author Topic: Forestry Mulcher  (Read 2212 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Forestry Mulcher
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/O5jJbP7MC4M

Santa??  🙏

I need to clear brush and stumps and so forth on probably an acre or so.  That machine would be awesome sauce, with an awesome cherry, over awesome ice cream.

Too bad it's so expensive to hire a guy to do it.  Hard to find anyone renting them too.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Forestry Mulcher
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:30:51 PM »
I work on the excavator mounted ones sometimes, and I did a custom install of one on a mini ex for a customer. Trust me hiring is cheap compared to owning one, or probably even renting one. They go through carbide teeth like candy and they tear up a lot
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »
Would come in handy at the next Antifa riot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:12:23 AM »
I ran one of these for about two years while I was getting my business up and running.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rbi5911DX94

What boomhauer said is dead on. The guy I worked for charged $1500 a day for machine, operator, and a spotter.  I was making $22/hr, and the spotter who sat in the truck and watched that no one ran in front of me while trying to save their favorite tree that just happened to be growing in the power company's right of way, made $13/hr. The owner cleared around $850 on a day when nothing broke. Those days were rare. Between constantly replacing teeth, and having hydraulics, rebuilt the machines can be a nightmare to keep running. A ton of fun when they actually do run though. Well, until you accidentally hit a junk car that's half buried in thick brambles...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:41 AM »
https://www.progressrail.com/en/infrastructure/maintenance-of-wayequipment/brushcutters/klearway500.html
Engine:     Equipped with Cat® C6.6 liquid-cooled diesel engine rated for 202 bhp @ 2200 rpm. Engine equipped with exhaust muffler and large capacity cooling system.

Wow.  Just guessing from the activity in the video, I thought it would be around 500 bhp.

Let that be my worst mistake of the week.

Terry, 230RN

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
We’ve had a couple of those Kershaw units in lately.

Terry, it’s all about torque with Diesel engines and those machines are all hydrostatic (meaning hydraulic pumps and motors do the propulsion, no physical transmission. The 6.6 and 7.1s are pretty commmon engine sizes on medium size equipment.

The larger excavator based units have the counterweight replaced with a power pack consisting of an engine, hyd pump, hydraulic tank, and big ass cooler all dedicated to the mulcher head so the excavator is not splitting its flow to run its functions and the very high flow mulcher head. Shinn Systems is a maker of those.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
Terry, it’s all about torque with Diesel engines and those machines are all hydrostatic (meaning hydraulic pumps and motors do the propulsion, no physical transmission. The 6.6 and 7.1s are pretty commmon engine sizes on medium size equipment.

If one is not familiar, it's hard to wrap your head around it. Somebody sees a little 400HP Mustang, then sees some ginormous tractor ripping a field and thinks, "Man, that's gotta be like 1500HP!" when it's likely only 150HP (and the price of six of those Mustangs). :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »
Well, I know diesels are torquey, but somehow 202 horsepower is only 202 horsepower.  I guess the hydraulics explains a lot of it.

"If one is not familiar, it's hard to wrap your head around it."

I'll say.  It's just a little beyond my ken, I reckon.

I wonder what HeroHog thinks about it.

Terry

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 05:29:14 PM »
Diesels are about Torque, not HP. The hydraulic system can be "geared" for torque or RPM based on the needs of the application. That is a rather heavy rotating mass being spun at fairly high RPM. It's mass acts like a flywheel and the hydraulics are constantly applying high pressure. Notice that the operator doesn't just stay on the work piece but does it in passes allowing the cutting bar to regain RPM between each pass.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:34:49 PM »
Well, I know diesels are torquey, but somehow 202 horsepower is only 202 horsepower.  I guess the hydraulics explains a lot of it.

"If one is not familiar, it's hard to wrap your head around it."

I'll say.  It's just a little beyond my ken, I reckon.

It's like comparing Clydsdales to quarter horses ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 12:01:10 AM »
I ran one of these for about two years while I was getting my business up and running.

I'll be in my bunk.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 12:52:48 AM »
Mineral oil and herbicide.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »
Kill it with fire.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »
Kill it with fire.

That just helps propagate blackberries.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 03:02:42 PM »

Biggest Kershaw I've ever seen.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 03:52:32 PM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »
Herbicide won't help with eliminating stumps or blackberry root balls.

But it kills them and stops suckering. Blackberry/raspberries will re-sprout from cut vegetation. I clone ribes species every year.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 09:21:26 PM »
Yes, I'm only too well aware of that.  But if I can seed the area and mow it (or graze sheep/goats on it) the blackberries will be kept under control fairly easily.  Or, if I need to, spray new growth after the clearing. That would cut waaayyy down on quantity of herbicide required.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 04:06:19 AM »
Diesels are about Torque, not HP. The hydraulic system can be "geared" for torque or RPM based on the needs of the application. That is a rather heavy rotating mass being spun at fairly high RPM. It's mass acts like a flywheel and the hydraulics are constantly applying high pressure. Notice that the operator doesn't just stay on the work piece but does it in passes allowing the cutting bar to regain RPM between each pass.

Well, yeah, but.

Seems to me if you have to let the thing rewind between cuts, you need more horsepower anyway.

It's like saying you can lift a car 10 feet if you gear a wristwatch down enough, but you have to rewind it a lot and it will take ten years.

I realize the video may not be showing any "resting" periods.

Back to herbicides.

Terry
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:51:20 AM by 230RN »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 07:40:50 AM »

Back to herbicides.

Terry

Garlon XRT and basal oil sprayed in dormant woody vegetation knocks the snot out it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
Well, yeah, but.

Seems to me if you have to let the thing rewind between cuts, you need more horsepower anyway.

True enough but notice how instead of just setting the blade on the stump and running it down, he instead runs back and forth on it slowly eating it down. The cutter quickly regains revs between passes. You CAN "ride it down" but you have to watch the pressure so as not to bog the cutter and lose efficiency. Also consider that more horsepower will probably require upgrading the downstream components to handle the added horsepower. Consider that hydraulic lines can only handle so much flow and pressure as well. It tends to be slow and powerful or fast but "week" at a certain point.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 08:51:18 PM »
True enough but notice how instead of just setting the blade on the stump and running it down, he instead runs back and forth on it slowly eating it down. The cutter quickly regains revs between passes. You CAN "ride it down" but you have to watch the pressure so as not to bog the cutter and lose efficiency. Also consider that more horsepower will probably require upgrading the downstream components to handle the added horsepower. Consider that hydraulic lines can only handle so much flow and pressure as well. It tends to be slow and powerful or fast but "week" at a certain point.

Exactly. 

That,  and if you force the issue,  stuff breaks.  There's a lot of finesse to getting the most performance out of the machine without breaking random bits.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 11:45:50 PM »
Exactly. 

That,  and if you force the issue,  stuff breaks.  There's a lot of finesse to getting the most performance out of the machine without breaking random bits.

This.  You get a feel for how hard you can lay into something. It's similar to running a chainsaw through various kinds of hardwood. You figure out how much you can push it into whatever you're working with, and once you get a feel for it, you start making good time. Main difference is with the Kershaw, you have to control the forward speed of the machine as well as how hard you grind down on a living tree or a stump.