Author Topic: Using strong marijuana increases risk of psychosis  (Read 1629 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Using strong marijuana increases risk of psychosis
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/smoking-strong-pot-daily-raises-psychosis-risk-study-finds/?fbclid=IwAR34soq7TadSLX8Qn6KcPOs7ehbJG9i94PHdefIjc_bYQGdRMNqdI6gP9uM

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(19)30048-3/fulltext

At least with legalization of marijuana becoming more common, we are starting to finally see some research on marijuana use.  This interesting article looks at the increasing association between frequent use of high-potency marijuana and psychosis.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Using strong marijuana increases risk of psychosis
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:21:17 AM »
Are we sure they controlled for Trump Derangement Syndrome as an unassessed  variable?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:26:05 AM »
So, a drug known to cause psychosis is made stronger, and now causes more psychosis.

How much tax money did they get for that study?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 05:47:01 AM »
But, but, but alcohol!!11!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:24 AM »
So, a drug known to cause psychosis is made stronger, and now causes more psychosis.

How much tax money did they get for that study?

Certainly no American tax money. From the article:

Funding source
Medical Research Council, the European Community's Seventh Framework Program grant, São Paulo Research Foundation, National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centre (BRC) at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust and King's College London and the NIHR BRC at University College London, Wellcome Trust.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »
Marijuana has always been known as being a mildly psychoactive drug.

I wonder if anyone has ever studied whether its effects make you more responsive to marketing, persuasion techniques and propaganda?

If you “sit around, get high and watch the tube” every night just how much of the “programming” do you naturally start to adopt as your world view?

The normal non-stoned effect of watching TV is trance like.

Now make it part of your nightly ritual to enter into a mildly altered state of consciousness zoning out for hours, passively absorbing leftist propaganda. Nightly conditioning.

I’m less concerned with folks getting high and more concerned about the combined effect of being high and getting bombarded with leftist propaganda/programming.

No wonder it’s becoming legal everywhere.

Of course I guess the same thing could happen to someone who gets stoned regularly and consumes hours of right wing YouTube videos etc.

Regarding regular use of the high potency stuff, go figure right?

Consuming highly psychoactive compounds regularly isn’t psychologically healthy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:34:27 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »
Do people that already have mild psychological issues gravitate to marijuana as an easy way out?  Would the same users move to alcohol or other drugs if marijuana wasn't available?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 02:17:28 PM »
Do people that already have mild psychological issues gravitate to marijuana as an easy way out?  Would the same users move to alcohol or other drugs if marijuana wasn't available?

Mild and not so mild, I'd say.  A huge amount of drug use is people attempting to medicate their mental problems away, or at least better than what the medical establishment has given them.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
Studies like this have me re-considering my support for legalization.  I don't think this stuff is as harmless as everyone thinks.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »
Studies like this have me re-considering my support for legalization.  I don't think this stuff is as harmless as everyone thinks.

I'm mostly ok with making it fully legal. Right after they come up with a field sobriety test that is at least as reliable as a properly administered breathalyzer test.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »
Studies like this have me re-considering my support for legalization.  I don't think this stuff is as harmless as everyone thinks.
That is one reason I was hoping the Feds would legalize it so you would see corporations making branded products.  Then I think you would see the contents with more consistency and regulated thc levels.  Not sure if that will help.  I am no expert. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »
As far as societal problems are concerned, the widespread popularity and use is a symptom of deeper cultural issues as well as personal.

I mostly agree with Firethorns assessment, it’s a coping mechanism.

Our culture is failing a lot of people and substance abuse is a result, imho.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »
I'm mostly ok with making it fully legal. Right after they come up with a field sobriety test that is at least as reliable as a properly administered breathalyzer test.

https://www.duiease.com/test-for-marijuana-california/

http://www.proctorcars.com/how-do-alcohol-breathalyzers-work-and-how-accurate-are-they/

IMHO, you're either for legalization, or a statist. 
Anyone who is small government or ever wants the government to butt the *expletive deleted*ck out of their business has no right mandating government regulate any drug.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »

That might be rendered largely moot soon with increasing automation.  Also, the research on actual disabilities is still lacking.  For example, in one study chronic users rated as safer drivers while high.

Jamis- I think Larry is more concerned about their effects on drivers on the road.  Which is the most likely way a drug user would cause him harm.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
That might be rendered largely moot soon with increasing automation. 

Real, true autonomous driving is at least a decade away from prime time.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »
That might be rendered largely moot soon with increasing automation.  Also, the research on actual disabilities is still lacking.  For example, in one study chronic users rated as safer drivers while high.

Jamis- I think Larry is more concerned about their effects on drivers on the road.  Which is the most likely way a drug user would cause him harm.

I get it.  But it's always the battle cry of statism, that it's making us safer somehow.  Billions of dollars, thousands of lives later....what do we get?  A police state where you get locked up for possessing some plants that you can get high off of. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
It's never a good idea to base opinions or make decisions on a single study.  Apparently, the study in the Lancet is from 2012 and even the author stated in 2018 “Short-term cannabis use in adolescence does not appear to cause IQ decline or impair executive functions, even when cannabis use reaches the level of dependence. Family background factors explain why adolescent cannabis users perform worse on IQ and executive function tests." (cite)

More info with many links:

https://truthout.org/articles/latest-science-debunks-claim-that-marijuana-significantly-harms-brain/?link_id=4&can_id=58e481857044df13f6c26ed5ea6d9f4e&source=email-i-read-the-news-today-oh-boy-2&email_referrer=email_515480&email_subject=i-read-the-news-today-oh-boy
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
It's never a good idea to base opinions or make decisions on a single study.  Apparently, the study in the Lancet is from 2012 and even the author stated in 2018 “Short-term cannabis use in adolescence does not appear to cause IQ decline or impair executive functions, even when cannabis use reaches the level of dependence. Family background factors explain why adolescent cannabis users perform worse on IQ and executive function tests." (cite)

More info with many links:

https://truthout.org/articles/latest-science-debunks-claim-that-marijuana-significantly-harms-brain/?link_id=4&can_id=58e481857044df13f6c26ed5ea6d9f4e&source=email-i-read-the-news-today-oh-boy-2&email_referrer=email_515480&email_subject=i-read-the-news-today-oh-boy

The Lancet study linked in the OP is not the 2012 study to which you refer.  This is a new one with data taken from 2010-2015.  There are more studies being done all the time, and a more complete picture of long term use is being formed.

Which is good.  Even though I agree with Jamis on this topic, when choosing whether or not to partake of a drug, the more knowledge available about it's effects, the better.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
Just what this country needs, a bunch of crazy people running around puking everywhere. :(

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/c/cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome.html

bob

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 05:33:55 AM »

Indeed.  While I understand the impact that chemical impairment has on folks (I think I've spoken of The Long Island Iced-Tea Incident here in the past), the scariest impairment I've ever experienced first hand was due to just plain exhaustion.  Made the road ahead of me look like a Salvador Dali painting.  Also lost an old friend to a fatigue induced auto accident in 2005.

I've been watching this kind of technology for awhile now and fully support it over breathalyzers and the like if it does indeed work.

https://omigainc.com/   
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.