Author Topic: Trump TSA Tweet  (Read 730 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump TSA Tweet
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »
I don't think I've seen Trump say anything one way or the other on TSA since he has been in office. While brief, he tweeted a negative comment related to this:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/03/20/james-woods-and-larry-the-cable-guy-get-president-trumps-attention-on-tsa-pat-down-video-from-2017/

This was from 2017, so I'm not sure why it is making the rounds again (other than it does look creepy), but if it brings attention to an overzealous system, I'm okay with that (having been the victim of an "explosives pat down" in Hawaii a few years ago).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Trump TSA Tweet
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:46:17 AM »
Do we want security, or security theater?

I am of the opinion that the TSA is 98% Security Theater, and am annoyed that I need to be inconvenienced for no real added safety.

That pat down was actually through and professional.  That's what a pat down that's going to actually find something looks like. 

So do we beat up on the TSA for the 98% of the time they're useless, or do we beat up on them for the 2% they actually do the job?  It seems like we should pick one or the other.

*all percentages approximated

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:54 AM »
The person getting felt up is a white male from Texas, so Trump is like literally defending white male privilege nstuff. Evil!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »

I am of the opinion that the TSA is 98% Security Theater, and am annoyed that I need to be inconvenienced for no real added safety.

That pat down was actually through and professional.  That's what a pat down that's going to actually find something looks like. 

So do we beat up on the TSA for the 98% of the time they're useless, or do we beat up on them for the 2% they actually do the job?  It seems like we should pick one or the other.

*all percentages approximated

While it appeared to be "textbook" pat down, and was similar to what I got, I'm a sketchy looking old guy. This was a barefoot kid traveling in shorts and a t-shirt. I realize you can't always go by appearance. Maybe his parents looked sketchy?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
Me?  I want a just little bit of security and very little security theater.  I'll take the absolutely tiny risk of getting killed by a terrorist over a lifetime of patdowns - thorough and professional or otherwise.

Any day and every day.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:22:28 AM »
While it appeared to be "textbook" pat down, and was similar to what I got, I'm a sketchy looking old guy. This was a barefoot kid traveling in shorts and a t-shirt. I realize you can't always go by appearance. Maybe his parents looked sketchy?

His computer popped an explosives residue sensor.  Kids are absolutely used by terrorists to smuggle things and carry out attacks.  Probably more than sketchy old guys.

Quote from: cordex
Me?  I want a just little bit of security and very little security theater.  I'll take the absolutely tiny risk of getting killed by a terrorist over a lifetime of patdowns - thorough and professional or otherwise.

Any day and every day

I 100% agree.  I think we should disband the TSA, and go back to pre-2001 security screening.  I don't think all this crap has bought us anything. Unfortunately out opinion is in the minority.  That said, we have TSA, and I find it hard to summon much outrage at the one time they actually perform a professional job.  Ask me to be outraged that shoes still have to be taken off when they miss 95% of guns in carryons, or be outraged that they stole my pen on the flight back from Iraq because "it could be a weapon" when I was clearing security with an M249 sure, I'm there on the outrage meter.

That video shows EXACTLY what America hired TSA to do, for ONCE.  If America doesn't like it the fault isn't with TSA, it's with the Congress that wrote the laws and the executive branch that applies them.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
The Israelis are the acknowledged experts and leaders at airport security. Do they engage in rampant TSA-like invasive patdowns of teenagers and grandmothers in wheelchairs? Last I heard, the answer is "no."

But we can't do airport security the way the Israelis do, because they focus their attention on people who might actually be terrorists. In other words, they engage in profiling and, as we all know, profiling is evil. Terrorists have rights, too, so it[s important for a terrorist to know that innocent people have just as much chance of being harassed by the TSA as actual terrorists.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »
The Israelis are the acknowledged experts and leaders at airport security. Do they engage in rampant TSA-like invasive patdowns of teenagers and grandmothers in wheelchairs? Last I heard, the answer is "no."

But we can't do airport security the way the Israelis do, because they focus their attention on people who might actually be terrorists. In other words, they engage in profiling and, as we all know, profiling is evil. Terrorists have rights, too, so it[s important for a terrorist to know that innocent people have just as much chance of being harassed by the TSA as actual terrorists.

My problem, from my armchair, is that we all too often seem to engage in "anti-profiling". Sometimes I think we do the kids and old people just to say, "See? We check everybody!"

If we actually did check "everybody", without having to worry about "profiling!" lawsuits, I would get into less of an outrage mode. Though my preference is similar to that of Cordex: I'll take the slim chance of my plane being blown up and keep (more of) my freedom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »
I agree with previous comments that the pat down was professionally done and about as non-invasive as you can get if the guy is required to pat down every square inch of the person. 

Yes, the outrage is with Congress who created all these requirements and restrictions and then created a govt agency and gave them power to set silly rules. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
Well, the Israelis seem to understand the difference between "prejudice" and "postjudice."