Author Topic: Jasper remanufactered engines  (Read 557 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Jasper remanufactered engines
« on: March 20, 2019, 02:17:56 PM »
I’m looking at a 2007 Ford Explorer, V6.

It is owned by a mechanic acquaintance of mine.

He bought it with a blown engine 3 years ago and installed a remanufactured Jasper engine in it. The motor  has 1 year left on the warranty. He has a successful shop and has done work on our fleet vehicles for years.

The Explorer has 117k miles on it, is tight and clean.

Any thoughts on the rebuilt engines here?

I’m leery, comments online are all over the map.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Jasper remanufactered engines
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:36:51 PM »
I've known of Jasper engines for several years. Like you, I have found that comments run the gamut, which I don't regard as a good sign.

How long has the engine been in, and how does it run? My uneducated guess is that if it has been in for awhile and runs well (without excessive oil consumption), it's more likely to be one of the good ones.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »
Don't know anything about Jasper engines, but....

Mrs. Mush had an 07 Explorer V6 Eddie Bauer from 07 till 15, and we put about 109,000 on it.  The cooling system on that variation of the 4.0 V6 is badly designed.  I went through 4 radiators and 4 or 5 thermostat housings/water outlet plastic conglomeration things in our last 3 years with that truck.  It's not uncommon to just always have a small coolant leak on those engines when they get over ~90,000.  Since I had one I pay attention to it when I see them in parking lots and probably half the time I can smell coolant when I walk past one.  The common failure is in the plastic water outlet which leads to coolant leak into the V of the engine, where it evaporates and doesn't leave a puddle.  On top of that, the heads are pretty prone to warping with even minor overheating, which will lead to head gasket failure and water in the cylinders.  The small coolant induced intermittent misfire, and head gasket that was 12 man hours and $500 worth of special tools was the death knell for our Explorer.

While I didn't experience it, the 4.0 SOHC is also pretty notorious for timing chain and guide issues in the 45k-60k range.

Those issues are with Factory parts under OEM assembly.  Rebuilt only gets worse.

For my money I'd get the 4th Gen Explorer with the 4.6 Mod V8 (which is nigh on bullet proof) or jump to the 5th gen with the Ecoboost or Duratec.

Just my $.02

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
New engine is two years old.

Good to know about the cooling system.

My mechanic buddy bought it from the original owner. His daughter continued to drive it home after a cooling system failure, she cooked the engine. The owner wasn’t interested in replacing the motor.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:44:40 PM »
Mrs. Mush had an 07 Explorer V6 Eddie Bauer from 07 till 15, and we put about 109,000 on it.  The cooling system on that variation of the 4.0 V6 is badly designed.  I went through 4 radiators and 4 or 5 thermostat housings/water outlet plastic conglomeration things in our last 3 years with that truck.  It's not uncommon to just always have a small coolant leak on those engines when they get over ~90,000.  Since I had one I pay attention to it when I see them in parking lots and probably half the time I can smell coolant when I walk past one.  The common failure is in the plastic water outlet which leads to coolant leak into the V of the engine, where it evaporates and doesn't leave a puddle.  On top of that, the heads are pretty prone to warping with even minor overheating, which will lead to head gasket failure and water in the cylinders.  The small coolant induced intermittent misfire, and head gasket that was 12 man hours and $500 worth of special tools was the death knell for our Explorer.

Yikes!
GM had a similar issue with nearly all of their V6 engines a decade earlier. Egr tube would melt the surrounding plastic intake manifold and either cause a major coolant leak. If you were lucky, you would catch it early by your oil looking milky gray in color, if you were unlucky (generally more of a problem with the smaller V-6s) the coolant would dump into your cylinders while you were merrily driving down the road at 55 mph, grenading your engine.
 I had a 98 Pontiac G-P, where I had to change the intake manifold on twice- the first time at about 100,000 miles, a retired GM mechanic that lived next door did it for me for a case of beer and $700 worth of parts, the 2nd time I did it myself for $500 worth of parts at 8 hours of wrenching at 200,000 miles.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama