Author Topic: Gremlins i.e. Weird issue in my jeep  (Read 3109 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Gremlins i.e. Weird issue in my jeep
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
You pretty handy with a multi-meter and test light?

Brad
Sort of, in a half tard kind of way.
I'm looking into a rebuilt plug and play TIPM that comes with tested relays and fuses installed. Might possibly save me as much as a thousand bucks compared to taking it to the jeep stealership
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
Don't haul off and go that far quite yet. It might be something as simple as a bad ground or shorted wire. What you need, first and foremost, is a wiring diagram that goes from battery to horn, and everything in between. I think there are services where you can pay a modest fee and download complete factory diagrams.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
Under hood is clean and looks like new. This is a Jeep Wrangler originally purchased by a local insurance agent that just drove it like a car. Never off road, wrecked, or mudded or flooded. I've visually and finger wiggle checked every connection I can without stripping off a lot of stuff. Relays are soldered in to the circuit board. The power reset is clearing the problem as long as fuses are left out.
I found a rebuild lab that installs all new upgraded relays (original mfg was known for weak relay issues) guarantees plug and play and full 1 year warranty. They'll buy it back if it turns out to be something different for a $85 restocking fee and they'll give me $25 for my old one making net cost shipping and all $301.
2 day priority shipping and a 30 minute job I can do myself.
The jeep forums and the owner of the rebuild lab support the TIPM relay failure. I felt no pressure to buy talking to the lab. He was thorough with his questions before he said it might be a bad ground somewhere but it really points back to a TIPM relay sticking. A known issue with these that often affects things like wipers and fuel pumps.
With all the other node issues like phone not connecting, system info not displaying correctly, the horn coming on whenever the interior lights are activated, I'm thinking I can risk $100 or less and try a swap.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »
Curse you, Kingcreek. Apparently Gremlins are transmitted over the internet.

Just last night, our SUV reset the clock and flashed a warning light for about .2 seconds before acting normal again. And then did the exact same thing about an hour later.

Now, given that I had just noted some corrosion on the battery terminals, I have no doubt it's connected to that. I'll be needing to clean them up. Still, I'm blaming you, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 03:55:06 PM »
Curse you, Kingcreek. Apparently Gremlins are transmitted over the internet.

Just last night, our SUV reset the clock and flashed a warning light for about .2 seconds before acting normal again. And then did the exact same thing about an hour later.

Now, given that I had just noted some corrosion on the battery terminals, I have no doubt it's connected to that. I'll be needing to clean them up. Still, I'm blaming you, though.
There's an idea! I wonder what it costs for an exorcist?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
After multiple TIPM swaps and power resets/restores, more trial and error, and no small amount of frustration...
I took it to the dealer. They have determined that the cruise control switch in the steering wheel control cluster shorted and it shares a circuit cluster with the horn and other unrelated things. Strange but the cruise control is among the things that functioned normally with a power reset as long as the horn fuses were left out.
New CC switch is installed. I pick it up later today but it is supposed to be functioning normally and considered cured of any gremlins. All error codes and reconfigures are clear at this time.
Weird things. Makes me want to trade for an old CJ7 or Cherokee Chief, something pre 1980.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
My 1947 Hudson pickup truck had, IIRC, three fuses for the entire vehicle, and it ran just fine.

I sure miss that truck.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »
I hated to surrender it to the dealer but I might never have found the problem myself. Don't know what it cost me yet but I can't complain about the service dept. A 3 generation family-owned dealership that was sold to nonlocal owner group 3 years ago. My grandfather was a mechanic and service manager there for 49 years until the late 1960s but everything changed of course and I didn't want to have any unpleasant surprises with the current management.
For pure simplicity, the 1972 VW beetle I drove in college was it. The model As and T that dad restored and owned were really simple but not practical for daily drivers.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2024, 10:35:43 AM »
Brought back from the dead….
Many gremlins since then. Jeeps are known for them.
Latest is a random alarm ping (like when the seatbelt is unlatched) accompanied by dash lights flashing on briefly.
No codes on scan, none in memory.
I cleaned battery terminals and thought I fixed it for 1 month no issues. Then it came back.
I noticed that the e-disconnect light for the sway bar always flashed and random others sometimes joined in with it.
I just DC’d the battery and dropped the front skid and pulled the bus for the SB actuator. I have never serviced it. It looked ok, no corrosion and just a hint of water near the seal but not internal. I cleaned it good and put fresh dielectric grease on the seal and contacts.
My battery is aging out and that is another possible culprit.
I’m getting ready to go back to my fishing hole. The one that is a mile from the road and I have to back all the way into the lake to unload the boat (no ramp, primitive trail).
I hate chasing gremlins. I probably shouldn’t drive a Jeep.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2024, 11:18:59 AM »
"I probably shouldn’t drive a Jeep."

Ding, ding, ding, winner.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2024, 11:21:50 AM »
"I probably shouldn’t drive a Jeep."

Ding, ding, ding, winner.
I was talking to the service manager at the local independent repair shop about what kind of vehicles (SUVs) he would recommend, with reliability in mind. His take on Jeeps? "All kinds of little weird stuff keeps going wrong with them."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2024, 11:23:30 AM »
If it didn't have gremlins could it still be called a Jeep?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2024, 11:26:28 AM »
Japanese 4bys for the win.  =D

I was talking to the service manager at the local independent repair shop about what kind of vehicles (SUVs) he would recommend, with reliability in mind. His take on Jeeps? "All kinds of little weird stuff keeps going wrong with them."

I had an 86 Jeep Comanche, and I have to say that the engine and drivetrain were solid. I sold it at I think right at 100K miles, and I bet it could have gone well beyond. One of the reasons I sold it though, was all the ancillary nickel and dime stuff that kept breaking. Plus I don't think there was a single 86 Comanche made where the paint didn't go to *expletive deleted*it within a few years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2024, 11:28:49 AM »
I had several MOPAR cars over the years and two Ram Trucks.  I had trouble with all of them, continuously.  I have a thick head and learn the hard way....over and over.  The last one had the transmission fail at 40,000 miles.  If I hadn't had a good friend who was the Sales Manager at the dealership I would have ate the cost of replacement.  This was shortly after Mercedes/Benz merged with Chrysler.  That was a nightmare.  I also heard the new Ram trucks still have the same transmission from back then.

Every 4x4 truck of every iteration, foreign or domestic, and I had several of each, had problems.  Maybe not my Nissan Frontier so much, but the check engine light was on starting at about 10,000 miles.  I finally put a piece of black tape over it.  I sold it to a guy after I had it for 15 years, who had to put a new engine in it at 120,000 miles, right after he bought if from me.  He was a skilled mechanic with all the toys in his garage, and was not problem for him.  He didn't care as I sold it to him for a nice price for him.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2024, 11:33:14 AM »
I had several MOPAR cars over the years and two Ram Trucks.  I had trouble with all of them, continuously.  I have a thick head and learn the hard way....over and over.  The last one had the transmission fail at 40,000 miles.  If I hadn't had a good friend who was the Sales Manager at the dealership I would have ate the cost of replacement.  This was shortly after Mercedes/Benz merged with Chrysler.  That was a nightmare.  I also heard the new Ram trucks still have the same transmission from back then.

There's a reason used car lots are often full of fairly new Chryslers and failing transmissions is one of them
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2024, 11:35:01 AM »
Yup.
This thing is robust as all get out in some ways, and so weak and vulnerable in other ways.
The axles, drive train, and suspension is overbuilt. The electronics are like cheap Chinese knockoffs.
The oil filter/cooler housing is plastic. When (not if) they fail, you have to pull the heads and hope the water didn’t infil your engine oil before you catch it. Or your oil in your coolant.
I have a new radiator in the box and a new thermostat (integral with a cheap plastic housing btw) because they always, as in always, start leaking at the top driver side seam. Aluminum and plastic in some kind of press fit cheapo design.
And yet, when I want to go somewhere really tough and I shouldn’t go there anyway? It chews its way through damn near anything. I’ve climbed up and over and through some pretty tough crap with almost no effort.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2024, 11:38:10 AM »
There's a reason used car lots are often full of fairly new Chryslers and failing transmissions is one of them
Fortunately, the tranny is not a weakness on this one. I have the Daimler 6 speed auto and the nearly bulletproof rock crawler transfer case. Dana 44 axles front and rear.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2024, 11:41:15 AM »
I had a 1960s CJ-5 around early 1970.  I drove it over a stump in a piney woods and it got hung up on the rear end, wheels off the ground.  I used a jack and some downed tree limbs and the front wheels pulled me off while Swmbo sat in the front and glared at me.

That had a heater and defroster that if you put your fingers on the defroster vent and used your imagination you could actually think you felt heat.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2024, 11:43:21 AM »
That had a heater and defroster that if you put your fingers on the defroster vent and used your imagination you could actually think you felt heat.

That was true of a lot of cars at that time.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2024, 11:50:26 AM »
Speaking of older Chryslers my mother had a 73?, maybe 74?, Duster that had manual open and close door on the air vents under the dash. After a heavy rain or going through a car wash you had to make sure your feet were out of the way when you opened them because a gush of water would come out. Not a little but a lot. LOL

She later got hit by two guys drag racing at over 70mph, one took off the front bumper the other nailed it in the side at the trunk causing the Duster to spin around several times. The car was basically totaled but she drove it home. It tracked a bit sideways shall we say.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2024, 12:06:14 PM »
I had a 1960s CJ-5 around early 1970.  I drove it over a stump in a piney woods and it got hung up on the rear end, wheels off the ground.  I used a jack and some downed tree limbs and the front wheels pulled me off while Swmbo sat in the front and glared at me.

I miss the good old days.
I had a CJ7 Renegade with a 304 V8. I drove the crap out of it. The odometer quit rolling at 180k. It was clapped out and some compression on 6 cylinders.
I went to the scrap yard and bought a 360 out of a wrecked wagoneer. then i went to the auto parts store, walked up to the counter and said, " I need a Holley 4 BBL with adapter and gaskets for an AMC 360." They brought it to the counter a few minutes later.
That was one screaming wild jeep. and i knew every bolt and part on it. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2024, 01:35:09 PM »
Brought back from the dead….
Many gremlins since then. Jeeps are known for them.
Latest is a random alarm ping (like when the seatbelt is unlatched) accompanied by dash lights flashing on briefly.
No codes on scan, none in memory.
I cleaned battery terminals and thought I fixed it for 1 month no issues. Then it came back.
I noticed that the e-disconnect light for the sway bar always flashed and random others sometimes joined in with it.
I just DC’d the battery and dropped the front skid and pulled the bus for the SB actuator. I have never serviced it. It looked ok, no corrosion and just a hint of water near the seal but not internal. I cleaned it good and put fresh dielectric grease on the seal and contacts.
My battery is aging out and that is another possible culprit.
I’m getting ready to go back to my fishing hole. The one that is a mile from the road and I have to back all the way into the lake to unload the boat (no ramp, primitive trail).
I hate chasing gremlins. I probably shouldn’t drive a Jeep.

I had the same issue after I had a local stereo shop swap out the factory system for an aftermarket one, with my '15 Ruby JKU.  Turned out to be they did a *expletive deleted*it job reconnecting the negative battery terminal.  I think you're on the right track looking at the battery or terminals.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2024, 02:01:06 PM »

Every 4x4 truck of every iteration, foreign or domestic, and I had several of each, had problems.  Maybe not my Nissan Frontier so much, but the check engine light was on starting at about 10,000 miles.  I finally put a piece of black tape over it.  I sold it to a guy after I had it for 15 years, who had to put a new engine in it at 120,000 miles, right after he bought if from me.  He was a skilled mechanic with all the toys in his garage, and was not problem for him.  He didn't care as I sold it to him for a nice price for him.

They do not. Many Chrysler products now use the ZF 8 speed transmissions and they are excellent.

Many idiots sneered at Fiat buying Chrysler but FCA actually brought a lot of improvements to the products.

The value built stuff is still complete junk though but most value priced stuff is

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2024, 02:06:12 PM »
^^^

I was actually coming here to say that.  The Current gen rams use a ZF 8 speed that is pretty dang bulletproof.

Supposedly there's a twin turbo straight six coming out to replace the Hemi V8.  I'll be interested to see what that ends up being about.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2024, 01:48:10 PM »
Imagine my surprise when I learned that all voltage regulation for the F-350 goes through the dash. The faulty solder dash. Some internet rando makes a good living resoldering them. Many problems solved.

My little ford focus, no power in even 1st gear, glowing pipe ahead of the cat, all manner of fuel and air codes. Simple fix, fuel filter.

So many systems interconnected and if it is with the powertrain the computer tries to tune itself out of trouble. I think the next car is going to eat hay.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.