Author Topic: Hundreds of hotel guests were secretly filmed and live-streamed online  (Read 999 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://start.att.net/news/read/article/cnn-hundreds_of_hotel_guests_were_secretly_filmed_and-cnn2/category/news+

About 1,600 people have been secretly filmed in hotel rooms in South Korea, with the footage live-streamed online for paying customers to watch, police said Wednesday.

Cameras were hidden inside digital TV boxes, wall sockets and hairdryer holders and the footage was streamed online, the Cyber Investigation Department at the National Police Agency said in a statement.

The site had more than 4,000 members, 97 of whom paid a $44.95 monthly fee to access extra features, such as the ability to replay certain live streams. Between November 2018 and this month, police said, the service brought in upward of $6,000.

I know this is exceedingly rare, but I will still probably take a couple minutes to look around next time I get a hotel room.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen A LOT more, and it probably does. Cameras these days are so tiny, there's little chance in finding one unless maybe you have a wifi sniffer, and then that only works if it's not just doing onboard storage.

I know there are detectors that let you sweep for a digital lens, but I don't know how much they cost. Probably not cheap though. There might be a cheap way to MacGuyver one.

Edit: I was curious, and a quick search showed this homemade method:

Before you spend any money, we found that the DIY version of reflective detection worked just about as well:

• Grab a paper towel roll and a flashlight and hold the roll up to one eye and close the other.

• In a darkened room, turn on the flashlight and place it at eye level next to the tube and slowly scan the room for the telltale white reflection.

We found every camera in our test room with this method, so give it a try at home yourself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
I'm certain that there are a lot more cameras than we can possibly conceive of out there.

A few years ago there was a movie about an apartment tower that was built with this sort of thing as its purpose. Some rich voyeur built a luxury high-rise so he could spy on the residents. 

I remember seeing the ads for it but I don't think it did well. Maybe people just didn't want to face a real horror scenario as a form of entertainment.

If this becomes a major worry for people I'm sure counter-measures will get more available. Maybe a phone-based app with hardware that lets you sweep a space for for hidden bugs and cameras.

Of course if the paper towel roll/flashlight thing works that might be all one needs.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

If this becomes a major worry for people I'm sure counter-measures will get more available. Maybe a phone-based app with hardware that lets you sweep a space for for hidden bugs and cameras.

My search indicated that the current phone apps are fairly worthless and that if you want to go electronic, it's better to buy a device designed for it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
Feeling competitive, I would offer to let people secretly watch me in a hotel room for half that much.
When I’m in a hotel room, it’s either to get ready to sleep, actually sleep, or get ready to leave.
Even at $22 they would probably complain they weren’t getting their money’s worth.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
So is the implication that people were paying to watch the hotel guests having sex?  This sounds like the book by Gay Talese: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/04/11/gay-talese-the-voyeurs-motel

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.