Author Topic: UK Home Office says Christianity not a peaceful religion  (Read 2245 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
UK Home Office says Christianity not a peaceful religion
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:28:07 AM »
When you hope it's fake news...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/home-office-cites-bible-to-deny-asylum-0s59c38l0

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/03/21/uk-home-office-turns-away-iranian-convert-to-peaceful-christianity-cites-violent-passages-from-the-bible/

The Home Office refused asylum to an Iranian who converted from Islam to Christianity because, it said, Christianity was not a peaceful religion.

Immigration officials wrote to the man, who had converted to Christianity on the ground that it was a peaceful religion, citing violent passages from the Bible to support their claim. They said that the Book of Revelation was “filled with imagery of revenge, destruction, death and violence”.

The Church of England condemned the “lack of religious literacy” after the man said that he now faced persecution in Iran for his faith.

The Left loves to tell me how violent and hateful my religion is. Do they want me to start stoning unbelievers?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: UK Home Office says Christianity not a peaceful religion
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:07:51 AM »
I worked on a construction site for a year with an Iranian man who converted to Christianity (and married an Irish-American lass). I guess he was deluded, too, because he thought Christianity was a peaceful religion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 04:43:31 AM »
Now? Is it time NOW? Pitchforks and torches are on sale now. I'm just saying...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:50:56 AM »
We’re not going to shoot ourselves out of this mess.

Hopefully we will never see a time where legitimate self defense is the only option.

The leftists in power are really really trying to goad the right, including the Christian right, into reactionary violence.

Maybe they sense their time is running out. They desperately need a pretense to crush the right wing resistance to leftist insanity. The left cannot abide hearing that the leftist tyranny has no clothes on.

They must kill the messenger.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »

I have it on good authority that, as a Christian, I should be as violent as possible. So, sorry, I'll be shooting my way out of the mess.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »

Hopefully we will never see a time where legitimate self defense is the only option.

The leftists in power are really really trying to goad the right, including the Christian right, into reactionary violence.

Maybe they sense their time is running out. They desperately need a pretense to crush the right wing resistance to leftist insanity. The left cannot abide hearing that the leftist tyranny has no clothes on.

They must kill the messenger.
Are they trying to goad the Christian right or justify their own hate and violent behavior? 

I think if they really though Christians were violent, they wouldn't be doing this.  Notice how many of them tip toe around saying anything negative about Muslims.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 09:17:58 AM »
Are they trying to goad the Christian right or justify their own hate and violent behavior? 

I think if they really though Christians were violent, they wouldn't be doing this.  Notice how many of them tip toe around saying anything negative about Muslims.

Well, the right has been surrendering for decades so you have a point.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Are they trying to goad the Christian right or and justify their own hate and violent behavior? 

FIFY.

And the answer is "Yes."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:33:10 PM »
And Christianity is actually the state religion of the UK.   ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 02:29:23 PM »
Now? Is it time NOW? Pitchforks and torches are on sale now. I'm just saying...
Get with the modern times.  We have these things called AR-15 death machines. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 02:38:17 PM »
Get with the modern times.  We have these things called AR-15 death machines. 

Not in the U.K.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »
I hear the UK might be interested in some German boxcars that haven’t run in 74 years to deal with these troublesome Christians
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »
From the article:

Immigration officials wrote to the man, who had converted to Christianity on the ground that it was a peaceful religion, citing violent passages from the Bible to support their claim. They said that the Book of Revelation was “filled with imagery of revenge, destruction, death and violence”.

Soooooo, it's been a while since I read Revelations, but as I recall it wasn't Christians being all violent and End of the Earth-y in it.  As I recall there are some dudes on horses that kick it all off, right?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
From the article:

Soooooo, it's been a while since I read Revelations, but as I recall it wasn't Christians being all violent and End of the Earth-y in it.  As I recall there are some dudes on horses that kick it all off, right?

Not really clear who the Four Horsemen are.   Ah, but later on...

Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, “Come, gather for the great supper of God,  to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.”  And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army.  And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.  And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 12:31:22 AM »
From the article:

Yeah, the book of Revelation is definitely not the place I'd go to find some evidence of Christian terrorism. I guess they were too chicken to go after the Old Testament.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 05:43:23 AM »
I can't think of any faith that has not had its violent fanatics.  Heck even the Buddists have taking to killing folks from time to time.  To paraphrase an old drug pushing witch I knew of

"Religions are grand lofty ideals.  Religious followers however...unspeakable"
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 01:42:23 PM »
I can't think of any faith that has not had its violent fanatics.  Heck even the Buddists have taking to killing folks from time to time.  To paraphrase an old drug pushing witch I knew of

"Religions are grand lofty ideals.  Religious followers however...unspeakable"
I would say the Christian Faith is wonderful.  Christian Religions can sometimes be pretty bad.

That goes for any organization run by humans.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
Yeah, the book of Revelation is definitely not the place I'd go to find some evidence of Christian terrorism. I guess they were too chicken to go after the Old Testament.

The Old Testament isn't Christian. It's Jewish.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »

Tell that to all the people that use controversial passages from the Old Testament to badger Christians.

My point was that I think the Home Office nutters avoided criticizing the Old Testament, as they thought that might get some blow-back from Jewish groups, or Left-wingers.

In truth, though, the Old Testament is regarded as the Word of God by Christians. To a Christian, the Old Testament is thoroughly Christian, because it foretells the Person and work of Christ. Christ said that about it, as well.

Quote from: Luke 24
And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »
I would say the Christian Faith is wonderful.  Christian Religions can sometimes be pretty bad.

That goes for any organization run by humans.

Mind if I steal this for use in signatures etc?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »

beg to differ.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »

It's both.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
Mind if I steal this for use in signatures etc?
Have at it.  The pastor I try to learn from is often critical of Religion.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »
beg to differ.

with which assertion? that it isn't Christian? or that it's Jewish?

Because by definition, it's impossible for the Old Testament to be Christian. To be pedantic, Christian, by definition, is "Christ Follower". If Christ had not been born on this earth yet, it is impossible for anyone to have been following Christ.  Ergo, the Old Testament can't necessarily be "Christian".  That is not, however, to say that we as Christians do not believe in the Old Testament.  We see it as a quasi-historical record, with much that can be learned from that history.  However the Christian faith really can't be defined as such until after Christ begins his ministry. 

As to the Old Testament being Jewish, I would say that it's a history of the Jewish faith, but it's by no means the definition of the Jewish faith.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »
with which assertion? that it isn't Christian? or that it's Jewish?

Because by definition, it's impossible for the Old Testament to be Christian. To be pedantic, Christian, by definition, is "Christ Follower". If Christ had not been born on this earth yet, it is impossible for anyone to have been following Christ.  Ergo, the Old Testament can't necessarily be "Christian".  That is not, however, to say that we as Christians do not believe in the Old Testament.  We see it as a quasi-historical record, with much that can be learned from that history.  However the Christian faith really can't be defined as such until after Christ begins his ministry.  

As to the Old Testament being Jewish, I would say that it's a history of the Jewish faith, but it's by no means the definition of the Jewish faith.
The Jews were looking forward to their Messiah and the OT is filled references and prophecies of the coming savior.

Jesus being believed in as the Messiah makes the whole OT Christian, it’s his story.

Jesus said that “before Abraham was, I am” claiming to be one with Jehovah by using a direct OT quote from God and applying it to himself.

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called wonderful, counselor, the mighty God, the Prince of peace.”

Christianity was initially considered a Jewish sect.