Author Topic: Twitter Engineer: "Who Talks Like That?"  (Read 682 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Twitter Engineer: "Who Talks Like That?"
« on: March 22, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »
In case you were wondering why conservatives, or pretty much half the country that talks about these subjects at work, backyard barbeques, etc., are deleted on Twitter for being Russian bots:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/03/22/you-just-delete-them-james-okeefe-shares-shocking-video-of-twitter-engineer-sharing-how-he-deals-with-trump-supporters/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Twitter Engineer: "Who Talks Like That?"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
There is a recent No Dumb Questions podcast that addresses this kind of thing.  Destin Sandlin from Smarter Every Day goes a little bit into the multi-direction war being fought between social media companies, their legitimate user base, and malicious posting.

I think he misses some of the the top-down bias in those companies, but at the same time he brings up some very legitimate points that I had not considered.

Definite recommendation.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
In case you were wondering why conservatives, or pretty much half the country that talks about these subjects at work, backyard barbeques, etc., are deleted on Twitter for being Russian bots:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/03/22/you-just-delete-them-james-okeefe-shares-shocking-video-of-twitter-engineer-sharing-how-he-deals-with-trump-supporters/

These people have honestly never had any contact with, at minumum, 40% of the country. They think they don't exist.

These are the same people who think that the black population is 25% of the country and the homosexual population 25-50% of the country. Because their worldview is so completely skewed, and have no desire to see things as they are.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »
"No one really likes America."

Then get out!

I'm betting this guy is a foreign national, like 50%+ of these tech workers.