Author Topic: Remembering the Great Snow of 1717 in New England  (Read 540 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Remembering the Great Snow of 1717 in New England
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:04:25 PM »
http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/great-snow-1717/

I came across this link and thought it was interesting historical trivia.  

So much snow fell that year that the Puritans in Boston held no church services for two successive weeks, reported Cotton Mather.

Countless livestock perished in the storms, and farmers spent weeks digging out cows, sheep, chickens and pigs.  Often they reported they had miraculously found animals alive under the snow and restored them to health. A couple of pigs worked their way out of a snowbank 27 days after the storm ended, having survived on some tansy. Hens lasted as long as a week under the snow, turkeys as long as 20 days.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Remembering the Great Snow of 1717 in New England
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 05:36:41 AM »
That was at the tail end or shortly thereafter of the Mauder Minimum for sunspot activity.  We might get to see that sort of thing again if our star is entering another one of those.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »
Read the peaks and weep.

CO2 AND (not versus) Temperature, ~400,000 years.

Variations of this graph are all over the place.

Right now, it looks like we are about to see a drop off from the datum line, 0 Kelvin.

In other words, a cooling.

Despite the noisiness of the data, the regularity of the major peaks and valleys testify to the data's validity, barring chicanery on the part of the scientists, which, I am sure, does happen occasionally. <rolleyes>

Challenge away, if you will, but as I've said before, "It's your sample size, stupid.  You cannot make definitive long-term predictions from a mere 200 year sample."

Terry, 230RN

Source:

http://euanmearns.com/the-vostok-ice-core-and-the-14000-year-co2-time-lag/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:57:12 AM by 230RN »

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 04:17:41 PM »
Again, I point to this guy's site. For every possible future there's somebody screaming about how it's imminent.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.