Author Topic: Space Gun.  (Read 1259 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Space Gun.
« on: March 22, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »
Meet the Whitney Wolverine.

A beautiful and well-designed .22 laid low by bad businessin'.

Features a mag design that should be used by all .22s

Never seen one in the wild and likely will not. Too bad because it looks great.

It may also be the first firearm in history to have had a usable plastic frame. (Yeah, that's kinda of clickbait. You'll have to watch the video to find out more about that.) 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Space Gun.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 11:08:45 PM »
Olympic Arms tried to bring it back a few years ago, if you watch the first video and then this one you will probably see why the re-birth didn't do too well. I prefer the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEaDaAKyzu4

I should have bought the one I saw at the gun show (old one) about 8 years ago. Between that gun and a LH Randall 1911 I passed on I am not sure which makes me feel the worst. :(

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »
I thought this might be the Space Gun you were talking about . . .

https://www.guns.com/news/2015/09/17/ljutic-space-gun
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:45:25 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 12:37:19 AM »
I liked the Astra 400 in 9mm Largo. I called it my "Spaceman Spiff" gun.

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 02:44:26 AM »
Except for the fact that it's slightly prettier than the original Ruger Standard (now called the Mark I*, I guess) and the adjustable rear sight, I see no real advantages to this gun.

Of course, it's not for military situations, but there are too many tiny loseable parts, and that business of not pinching the bolt retraction handle is unacceptable.  Even if parts were available.

One lever in the backstrap of the Ruger, and the thing comes apart.  The only problem is in reassembly, the hammer strut must fall into the mainspring plunger correctly.

Compared to the Ruger Standard, this thing is a Ford Edsel.

Excellent video as usual, though.

Say, HeroHog, doesn't that Astra take a variety of 9mm cartridges, including .380 Auto?  Refresh my memory on that.

Terry, 230RN

* I am not referring here to the later improvements on the orginal Standard, which were abominations driven by I-don't-know-what, but it wasn't good engineering savvy.

Rugged reliable Ruger "MarkI."  That's it.  Holster wear and all.  (Which should tell you something.)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 02:58:24 AM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:07:22 AM »
NO! The ONLY other cartridge it can shoot is the .38 AUTO which is impossible to find and much weaker than the .38 super.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 03:23:39 AM »
My .22 Ruger 22/45 MK-III Target Model

Volquartsen:
 Exact Edge Extractor,
 SureStrike Firing Pin,
 Target hammer,
 Target sear,
 Target trigger w/ over-travel screw, return trigger plunger spring and polished plunger,
 V-Comp Compensator,
 Titanium Disconnecter.

Grips and Mag Bumpers by TechTeach @ rimfirecentral.com info@tech-custom.com

Mag disconnect removed using Sam Lam's hammer bushing.
Sam Lam @ rimfirecentral.com sg552.2@gmail.com

Cocking Handle by Brian Alcaraz, bjtraz@swbell.net @ rimfirecentral.com

LCI Cover from bpatza at RFC, Bruce patza, N863 lawn Rd, Seymour WI. 54165.

Custom Grips and Mag Bumpers by TechTeach @ rimfirecentral.com

I Throated her and polished the feed ramp too.

The trigger is MUCH lighter and breaks nice and clean with NO creep and no overtravel. Once I adjusted the take-up as far as I could and still get reliable reset I am left with about 1/64" take-up before you feel resistance then she breaks like glass at maybe a pounds pressure! I doubt I will be making any changes to the setup from this point on.

I have a total of only $258.43 in her not counting the original cost of the gun and Red Dot which was $350 so the total investment is $608.43 and well worth every penny to me!

GREAT gun if you like to tinker/"home gunsmith", pretty great stock as well! :old:
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
^ Nice setup!

I understand the difficulties in re-assembling the Mark II drove some of the changes in the Mark III, as well as some California-driven bullshit, no?

To me, a magazine disconnect is a design defect instead of a safety feature.  However, I will admit to the idea that maybe every once in a century they prevent a dry-fire, which is bad in rimfires.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:36:09 AM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
Ruger Mk I pistols are relatively cheap right now.  I was told people are trading them in for Mk IV models.  Some really nice looking examples in the $300’s last time I visited Collector’s Firearms in Houston.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge