Author Topic: The 2020 Circus - All of the clowns, all of the time  (Read 104232 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The 2020 Circus - All of the clowns, all of the time
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »
And Robert O'Rourke managed to find the only gun show in the country where everyone was pro gun control.  ;/

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/08/22/raise-your-hand-if-you-buy-beto-orourkes-account-of-his-conversations-with-gun-show-attendees-video/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2019, 10:10:40 PM »
"If it's going to make this country safer to give back my AK-47, then let's do it."

Well, of course. Then I can go out and buy a more accurate rifle. :DUH:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2019, 10:36:17 PM »
I hope Trump tweets about the Dems looking like they are going to squeeze Gabbard out of the debate even though she has better donor and poll numbers than some of the clowns already in the car.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
"If it's going to make this country safer to give back my AK-47, then let's do it."

Well, of course. Then I can go out and buy a more accurate rifle. :DUH:
The funny thing about quotes like that is the huge "IF" at the beginning.  Since we know if won't do anything of the kind.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #305 on: August 23, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
I hope Trump tweets about the Dems looking like they are going to squeeze Gabbard out of the debate even though she has better donor and poll numbers than some of the clowns already in the car.

Early on, I didn't think she would have a chance. However, with all the candidates going crazy commie, she is looking more and more like a viable candidate. Her closer to center politics will appeal to a large portion of dems who have actual jobs and don't spend their days protesting and rampaging, She has the "center" appeal of Biden without the Alzheimer's. It will be interesting to see how she does in the polls in the coming months.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #306 on: August 23, 2019, 04:22:38 PM »
She is a religious fruitcake and a commie lite, I just want to see more rage at the DNC subverting the voters. Again...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #307 on: August 23, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
Early on, I didn't think she would have a chance. However, with all the candidates going crazy commie, she is looking more and more like a viable candidate. Her closer to center politics will appeal to a large portion of dems who have actual jobs and don't spend their days protesting and rampaging, She has the "center" appeal of Biden without the Alzheimer's. It will be interesting to see how she does in the polls in the coming months.

It really doesn't matter, she isn't the DNC or the Liberal media choice. She is just converting O2 to CO2 whenever she talks. Maybe in 4-16 years.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »
Well, I'm wrong again.  I thought Gabbard might be rising up, but she's one of the people not allowed to debate, so that pretty much means she's out. Interesting that Yang got in over her.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/doug-schoen-shrinking-field-of-dem-presidential-candidates-is-bad-news-for-trump-heres-why

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #309 on: September 04, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
I thought Gabbard had more juice as well.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2019, 09:40:58 AM »
I guess there was a debate centered on climate discussion yesterday.  
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/09/04/candidate-andrew-yang-goes-there-suggests-space-mirrors-as-a-last-resort-to-fight-climate-crisis/

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/8/26/20833263/andrew-yang-climate-plan
Sorry for the Vox link, but part of Yang's plan is to use Space Mirrors to reflect away the sun's rays.  

Maybe they could used them to focus sunlight on part of the ocean to evaporate water and prevent sea level rise.  =)
Probably just have some nut refocus them on the Antarctic ice cap to melt it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »

This diagram was on that link also.  It mentioned a 6" rise in sea levels by 2030 for Texas and Louisiana, but talks about a 4 foot rise for Florida by 2040.  I assume they are combining different "studies".  Climate Change articles love to package stuff like that.  IMO, it makes it more unbelievable. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »

This diagram was on that link also.  It mentioned a 6" rise in sea levels by 2030 for Texas and Louisiana, but talks about a 4 foot rise for Florida by 2040.  I assume they are combining different "studies".  Climate Change articles love to package stuff like that.  IMO, it makes it more unbelievable.  

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/energy-environment/259342-fifty-years-ago-the-white-house-knew-all-about-climate

It's hilarious to me that they can write an article like I linked and not notice the problems.

In 1965, they correctly predicted how much the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere would increase. That is one part of the science no one argues over.

The article then notes that in 1969, they extrapolate that this could 1 lead to a 7°F rise in surface temperatures and a consequential 10' rise in ocean levels.

I'll note that those predictions did not occur, but somehow THAT part of the "THE WHITE HOUSE KNEW ALL ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE IN 1969!!!!" didn't seem to matter.

I have as much faith in the "THE SEAS ARE GOING TO SWALLOW FLORIDA!!11!1!" as I do in the 1969 predictions because the track record of such predictions is the best means of assessing them.

1: Note that in 1969, they were aware enough to realize their predictions had a significant amount of uncertainty. Today, the predictions are just as wrong, but the uncertainty is gone.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »
1: Note that in 1969, they were aware enough to realize their predictions had a significant amount of uncertainty. Today, the predictions are just as wrong, but the uncertainty is gone.

What they lack in competence they've made up for with confidence . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #314 on: September 05, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »

I wonder if they understand that the space mirror will block the sunlight needed for photosynthesis by the trees and plankton?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
I wonder if they understand that the space mirror will block the sunlight needed for photosynthesis by the trees and plankton?
It's lot like they're suggesting to block all the light, just a very small percentage.

I think the real issue is coming up with a scheme to actually block any significant percentage of light with mirrors.  That's an awful lot of mirror you'd need to launch.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
It's lot like they're suggesting to block all the light, just a very small percentage.

I think the real issue is coming up with a scheme to actually block any significant percentage of light with mirrors.  That's an awful lot of mirror you'd need to launch.
Just go for source.  Launch nukes at the sun. 

Method is Jamis approved!   =D

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2019, 11:19:04 AM »

Wait, wasn't this a Bond movie villain move?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2019, 11:22:47 AM »
Just tell the liberals to hold their breath for 5 years.  It's for the aborted children
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2019, 12:53:03 PM »
If we aim the space mirrors just right, we can turn some particular sandy areas to glass and find the oil easier! :rofl:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
Instead of a mirror, just use a big shaded lense instead. 

Then again, if we use a mirror to turn certain sandy areas to glass, then we can get the glass to make more mirrors. 

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2019, 08:39:21 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2019, 10:04:41 AM »
Instead of a mirror, just use a big shaded lense instead. 

Then again, if we use a mirror to turn certain sandy areas to glass, then we can get the glass to make more mirrors. 

I've been thinking that mirrors aren't strictly necessary in this scenario.  Anything that blocks the sunlight would have the same effect.  Like the Larry Niven Ringworld concept of huge blocks strung together at regular intervals.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
I've been thinking that mirrors aren't strictly necessary in this scenario.  Anything that blocks the sunlight would have the same effect.  Like the Larry Niven Ringworld concept of huge blocks strung together at regular intervals.
I think the reason they use the idea of mirrors is that they're planning on launching these via satellite.  Metal foil sheets can be origamied up pretty tightly in a small, relatively lightweight package.  They can also be maneuvered more readily.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2019, 11:04:53 AM »
Controlling climate from space based platforms would never be weaponized or used for nefarious purposes.

Humans cannot predict the specific path of a hurricane more than a few days out but are going to spend billions on "fixing" the climate from space.

Multiple levels of hubris, niavity and stupidity.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.