Author Topic: The 2020 Circus - All of the clowns, all of the time  (Read 103983 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: The 2020 Circus - All of the clowns, all of the time
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
400 acres x $6500/acre= $2,600,000

$180/acre/year x 400 acres = $72,000

$2,600,000 invested / $72,000/ year income = 36.1 years to break even.  Assuming zero property taxes and or upkeep on the land.  Obviously you have the land as an asset, but that doesn't seem like a great use of $2.5mil.  With even a crap safe 3.5% interest rate you'd have almost $9mil in that time.

But the land is also a hedge against hyperinflation.  If the Democrats give everybody everything they are promising (or the Republicans don't do anything about the deficit)  $9mm might not be worth much.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
I'm going to buy the most I can without having a mortgage.

It won't be a lot but it will untether me from debt to the banking industry.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #452 on: December 03, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »
But the land is also a hedge against hyperinflation.  If the Democrats give everybody everything they are promising (or the Republicans don't do anything about the deficit)  $9mm might not be worth much.
Assuming that the land won't be confiscated at whatever price .gov sets.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #453 on: December 03, 2019, 11:12:01 AM »

$2,600,000 invested / $72,000/ year income = 36.1 years to break even.  Assuming zero property taxes and or upkeep on the land.  Obviously you have the land as an asset, but that doesn't seem like a great use of $2.5mil.  With even a crap safe 3.5% interest rate you'd have almost $9mil in that time.

That is why I have slowly moved myself out of the real estate game. To me, real estate is better when you're younger and need the deductions you can get there, but not in equities. I can deduct every little damn thing you can think of as a farming expense on my place here in Idaho, but only because, though I lease the land for grazing, I'm still doing hands on work. But we're really talking hobby farm amounts here, which is all I care about - enough money to cover expenses on land I enjoy for other purposes.

On the family land in CA, there are much fewer possible deductions, because the farmer does everything. What you rely on there was land appreciation. Which it did like crazy, until last year when when CA government decided to affect the market with water regs. My dad and I only have 80 acres left there now under lease, and the plan is to sell it when the lease is up in two years, but who knows what we'll get. Could be a lot if the water thing is Trumpified, could be very little if it's Newsomified.

The lease on that 80 acres is about 20% of what we could get as interest/dividends for the current value of the land, invested at Vanguard at ~4%. And I just spent $95K on a new pump and well there two years ago. Vanguard never makes me drill wells.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #454 on: December 03, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »

Buying Ag ground is just part of their investments, not the only nest egg. Taxes and land maintenance are not in my rough numbers I gave. I'm just relying the same story I have heard from all the producers I work with. 

Where the hell do you find a 3.5% saving account?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #455 on: December 03, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
That seems like a huge risk(1) for such small gains....

(1) risk as in the possibilty of a correction in land prices.

I'm waiting for the correction to buy 40-160 acres. I should of bought land 20 years ago, but there was no way I could of swung the $1200-2k per acre price for prime farm ground in the late 90s.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #456 on: December 03, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
How can Joe Biden still be leading the pack in so many polls? RCP's has him leading and they are generally close.

I ran across video of Joe speaking jibberish about his hairy legs and how much he likes having children in his lap.

It was very bizarre, like he was doped up on something. Then there is the video of him nibbling his wifes finger during her speech. Just odd in a disturbing way.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:47:07 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #457 on: December 03, 2019, 11:58:59 AM »
How can Joe Biden still be leading the pack in so many polls? RCP's has him leading and they are generally close.

I ran across video of Joe speaking jibberish about his hairy legs and how much he likes having children in his lap.

It was very bizarre, like he was doped up on something bizarre. Then there is the video of him nibbling his wifes finger during her speech. Just odd in a disturbing way.

because the formally orange man is bad (have you noticed Donald is less orange looking these days, almost has a normal skin tone for a lower 70s year old Caucasian)

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #458 on: December 03, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »

It was very bizarre, like he was doped up on something bizarre. Then there is the video of him nibbling his wifes finger during her speech. Just odd in a disturbing way.

It's almost like he's not human, but something else trying to act human.... (and failing)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #459 on: December 03, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
Willie Brown no longer has a horseface in this race.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2019, 02:03:40 PM »
It's almost like he's not human, but something else trying to act human.... (and failing)

Hormone replacement therapy, cognitive performance drugs plus cutting edge life extension treatments is what I'm thinking.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2019, 04:29:46 PM »
Current TV ad spending by democrats for 2020:

TV ad spending by 2020 Democrats (thru 12/3)
Steyer: $63.4 million
Bloomberg: $37 million
Sanders: $6.7 million
Buttigieg: $5.1 million
Yang: $2.9 million
Biden: $1.7 million
Klobuchar: $1.3 million
Bennet: $1 million
Gabbard: $1 million
Warren: $926k
Delaney: $662k
Harris: $576k
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #464 on: December 03, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »
Well,  I guess he's on the outs with the gays:

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #465 on: December 03, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
15 left now. With 11 of those polling under 5% and 5 of those at 1% or less.

Bloomberg just jumped in so while he is only at 4% now we don't what his trend is yet.

That leaves 10 candidates that have got to know they have no chance so we might see a rash of candidates quitting.

Though I see some staying in for reasons other than trying to win the nomination this time.

Williamson might be legit crazy, Yang can build for the future, Booker might carry his Spartacus delusion forward and Steyer hates Trump so much that his quitting might appear as a win for Trump, so he can't back out.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #466 on: December 03, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
I assume Kamala has to still be a favorite in the vice president sweepstakes. They're going to need someone not old and white. Won't be Tulsi, too much payback coming. Since everyone likes to divide and count i can only assume that black voter enthusiasm is in the basement and it has a shovel. And the more traction Bloomberg gets the angrier the reeee brigade will get.  [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #467 on: December 04, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »
Too white and nerdy
Wait a minute, they consider Warren to be white now?

Kamala Harris officially ended her campaign today, which means that all of the candidates who currently qualify for the December Democratic debate are white (Sanders, Warren, Biden, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Steyer).

White supremacy is not just a Fox News problem, folks.
    — Lauren Duca (@laurenduca) December 3, 2019
    No matter your candidate, you have to recognize that going from the most diverse field ever in January to a potentially all-white debate stage in December is catastrophic.

The implicit racism and sexism of "electability" is deeply damaging to democracy.
    — Leah Greenberg (@Leahgreenb) December 3, 2019

Lefties Become Hysterical Once They Realize the December Democratic Debate Will Be All White People
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/12/03/now-that-kamalas-out-lefties-are-freaking-because-most-of-the-2020-dems-are-whit-n2557433
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #468 on: December 04, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »
About 2 months to Caucas, more will be dropping out.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #471 on: December 04, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »

- Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #472 on: December 04, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »
Too white and nerdy
Wait a minute, they consider Warren to be white now?

Lefties Become Hysterical Once They Realize the December Democratic Debate Will Be All White People
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/12/03/now-that-kamalas-out-lefties-are-freaking-because-most-of-the-2020-dems-are-whit-n2557433

:rofl:

Nothing new, of course. Look at 2016.

Then again, Democrats seem to pretending that Jim Crow never ended. In their minds, Trump is even racially segregating the LGBTQberts in his concentration camps.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #473 on: December 04, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »
#DemocratsSoWhite
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet