Author Topic: Taurus G2C with rebate  (Read 1818 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Taurus G2C with rebate
« on: April 06, 2019, 11:07:08 AM »
With the rebate, I can get a stainless 9 mm G2C for $ 185 from Bud's.  Based on the reviews I am reading, I am thinking I should snatch up one or two.  I have several other Taurus pistols and revolvers that have been great guns for me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Taurus G2C with rebate
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »
Have a G2 in stainless and other than having a rather odd, at first until you get used to it, longish trigger pull it's a great little gun and has never suffered a single hiccup.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:05:35 PM »
https://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-g2c-9mm-pistol-black-1-g2c931-12.html
PSA shows it for $199 with free shipping.  It shows a rebate also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 09:32:02 PM »
I ordered two stainless models from Bud's, and they should be here in about a week or so.  $30 mail-in rebate on each pistol bringing it down to $ 185 each.  The interesting thing is that when I bought the PT111 Millennium Pro in 2008 or so, I paid $ 350 for it.  Taurus must have really gotten their manufacturing mass quantities act together.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 11:03:47 PM »
https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/30_11/features/9mm-Slim-Line-Compact-Pistol-Shoot-out-Five-Go-Head-To-Head-26944-1.html#.XKq1I-hKjCI

A good comparison of some of the current 9 mm single stack pistols.  I still may end up getting a Shield some day, albeit I have other 9 mm single stack pistols, and I do like my Kahr CW9.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 11:09:58 PM »
I find myself really wanting to shoot a Glock 48.  However, thinking about this Taurus made me think about the CZ P10S a little more than I had. 

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 03:39:29 AM »
I've been quite impressed with my Taurus PT111 G2 for the past few years and looked into buying another (I paid less than $200 for the PT111 G2).  I found that model had essentially been replaced by the near identical G2C, so I bought it.

The differences are very slight... different Taurus emblem and such.  The biggest difference seems to be the lack of the silly lock on the slide of the PT111 G2 that many complained about. 

So far, it appears everything interchanges between my PT111 G2 and G2C.   The slides, barrels, recoil assemblies, magazines (of course) all interchange between my PT111 G2 and newer stainless/cyan G2C.

I haven't had a malfunction of any kind between the two. 

The one thing I have notices is that if I shake the PT111 G2, even without the magazine, there is a slight rattle seemingly emanating from within the rear portion of the slide.  The G2C doesn't exhibit this.  I'm presuming it's either the silly lock that the G2C doesn't have or just more wear in the striker channel of the PT111 G2 since is has seen about 5X the rounds of my G2C.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »
My last Taurus was the PT145 and it was garbage.  Although it functioned fine without a hiccup, the trigger pull was akin to dragging a crowbar through a gravel pile.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
I've got a PT709 slim.   got it for $200 including the background check.  Trigger was *meh*.    rest of the gun is solid.  I tore it apart, cleaned everything up, touched a couple burrs up (not in the trigger mechanism surprisingly) and hit it with the Slipstream weapon lube....  It's amazing what a difference it has made.   Trigger now has a clean break, nice takeup, and it's fun to shoot.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »
^^^I was just thinking about the above, and it occurred to me that more often than not, I think that striker-fired triggers are mediocre at best, and my best triggers are on hammer-fired handguns.  Huh.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
I've got a PT709 slim.   got it for $200 including the background check.  Trigger was *meh*.    rest of the gun is solid.  I tore it apart, cleaned everything up, touched a couple burrs up (not in the trigger mechanism surprisingly) and hit it with the Slipstream weapon lube....  It's amazing what a difference it has made.   Trigger now has a clean break, nice takeup, and it's fun to shoot.

Sold my 709 awhile back and I regret doing so. Every once in awhile I find myself looking for one. Good little shooter.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 10:52:00 PM »
There's a push in the Walther handguns around here, especially in conjunction with the "love it or send it back" deal Walther is running.  LGS has the PPQ M2 9mm on sale for $529.  And, they are offering an extra $25 on any firearm being traded for a Walther.  I've got a safe queen that should fetch $200-$250 on a trade-in, so I could likely bring home a PPQ for around $300, leaving me with $150 from my gun savings for mags and a holster...

Thinking I should jump on this deal...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
I ordered two stainless models from Bud's, and they should be here in about a week or so.  $30 mail-in rebate on each pistol bringing it down to $ 185 each.  The interesting thing is that when I bought the PT111 Millennium Pro in 2008 or so, I paid $ 350 for it.  Taurus must have really gotten their manufacturing mass quantities act together.

Do let us know.  I trust reviews/opinions here more than from most other places.  Even if it's an unhinged rant.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
^^^I was just thinking about the above, and it occurred to me that more often than not, I think that striker-fired triggers are mediocre at best, and my best triggers are on hammer-fired handguns.  Huh.

Not just that, but metal-framed, too.

I have polymer framed hammer fired, steel framed hammer fired and aluminum framed hammer fired models that are nearly identical from CZ.  75 compact (steel), P-01 Omega compact (aluminum), and P-07 Omega compact (polymer).  I'd say the P-01 Omega has the best stock trigger of the three.  The P-07 has the worst trigger by far.

I think it has to do with the weight of the hammer spring, similar to how ultralight snubbies have heavy hammer springs in order to accelerate the two metal surfaces together (the hammer face and the firing pin).  It's not just the hammer that moves... the hammer pulls at the frame (and the hand holding the gun) at the same time.  Newton's 3rd Law and all that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 07:03:26 PM »
IMO, new striker fired guns like the CZ P10C and Walther PPQ 45 have really good triggers.  They may not be quite as good as the single action triggers on the better hammer fired guns, but they aren't bad at all.  The overall light weight makes up for a lot when it comes to carry. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 11:22:12 PM »
I took delivery of two of the stainless models two weeks ago: I wanted to take advantage of the rebate, and Bud's had an excellent price. After a field strip, clean and lube, I have fired about 200 rounds through each of them: Winchester white box FMJ, some Fiocchi I had lying around, and 12 rounds each of Federal HST. No malfunctions, good recoil management, the grip is excellent and it fits and points in my hand very well.

Some friends and I went to the range a month ago and did a shootout between a Glock 48, Shield 1.0, Taurus G2C, Kahr CM9 and a Sig P365. All of them worked with no malfunctions but the guy with the first generation P365 is still not entirely happy with his pistol: it took a trip back to the shop and still has significant primer drag. I have never warmed up to Glocks, already have a Kahr, and there was not much of a tangible size difference between the Shield and the G2C, and of course the G2C has a larger capacity. The trigger did not strike me as significantly different than other striker-fired pistols I have, and I am used to long pulls, with my Kahr and all of my revolvers.

I will be interested to see how the Taurus does, but so far, so good, for me.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 06:37:49 PM »
Reviving a month old thread.

James Yeager (YMMV) ran a high round count class specifically to run the snot out of these guns.   Upshot, minimal issues.  One broken ejector, attributed to the failure drill they were running.   Magazine problems, attributed to the fine dust in the local environment.

Taurus G2C 10000 Round Test - Part 3 - Finally

I'm seriously contemplating getting one for myself.   
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.