Author Topic: With God as my witness I thought ...  (Read 505 times)

sumpnz

• friend
With God as my witness I thought ...
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:06:49 PM »
Turkeys couldn't fly!

We're raising 18 turkeys this year.  12 broad-breasted (9 bronze and 3 white) and 6 heritage (Bourbon Reds).  The heritage turkeys I expected to have to clip wing feathers.  They're know to roost in trees, given the opportunity.  But the broad-breasted weren't supposed to be able to fly.  However they've been flying to the top of their 4' high growing pen.  And out into the yard.  They're basically 5 weeks old.  I'll be weighing them tonight (guessing they will be 3.25lbs average), and, apparently, clipping wings.

Andiron

• friend
Re: With God as my witness I thought ...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »
Clip them close on one wing, and you're good to go.  They'll be off balance and can't get over the fence.

I've raised a *expletive deleted*it load of turkeys in the past 20 years,  that seems to keep them in the pen.  The real trick with backyard turkeys is getting the stupid bastards to live long enough to put meat on and end up in the freezer.  EVERYTHING seems to like turkey, predator wise.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 11:08:25 PM »
They don't fly too well if you toss them out of a helicopter. ;)  But when they are young and starting on the ground on their own, yeah they can fly enough to be a pest.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 12:28:20 AM »
They don't fly too well if you toss them out of a helicopter. ;)  But when they are young and starting on the ground on their own, yeah they can fly enough to be a pest.

It's the downdraft from the rotor .... :police:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:53:08 AM »
Just got them all weighed and clipped.  3.5lb average which is a 1.25lb gain since a week ago.