Author Topic: We're doomed  (Read 2143 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
We're doomed
« on: April 14, 2019, 04:27:24 AM »
Never mind the elections. Never mind the illegal alien horde at the southern border. WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-12/weakening-earths-magnetic-field-has-greatly-accelerated

I know that I must sound like a broken record by now, but this is important.  Our planet is becoming increasingly unstable, and we are seeing things happen that we have never seen before.

But, but ... I thought all the stuff we haven't seen before was due to global warming climate change. Isn't it?

Everyone agrees that the Earth’s magnetic field is rapidly getting weaker, and that is making us more vulnerable with each passing day.

So this is "settled science"? If everyone agrees, and thus this is settled science, then why is it also "settled science" that all the climatic changes we're seeing are due to -- pardon the phrase -- climate change?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: We're doomed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:24:14 AM »
It is caused by all of our electronics in use today.  To save the Earth we have to ban electronics.  Throw away your iPhone today!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:51:48 AM »
It’s not the plague or asteroid we wanted but it’s the killoff we deserve. This should please RKL
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
It's a consortium of all the GPS equipment manufacturers changing earth's field to force everyone away from using magnetic compasses.

Yeah, that's it.  That's gotta be it.  Follow the money.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »
As an aging, metobolicly challenged individual I welcome this opportunity to lower my BMI.

Furthermore,  I offer the hypothesis that any measureable so-called climactic climate variations are a result of these phenomena.

EDIT- Signed in to fix spelling and to thank you for the curt reminder of why I've been gone for a few years.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:09:35 PM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »
It’s not the plague or asteroid we wanted but it’s the killoff we deserve. This should please RKL

Meh, too slow.

And, I blame the NRA and plastic straws.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
As an aging, metobolicly challenged individual I welcome this opportunity to lower my BMI.

Furthermore,  I offer the hypothesis that any measureable so-called climactic variations are a result of these phenomena.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster Online
Definition of climactic

: of, relating to, or constituting a climax the film's climactic scene

Quote from: Merriam-Webster Online
Definition of climatic

1 : of or relating to climate climatic changes the climatic requirements of the crop
2 : resulting from or influenced by the climate rather than the soil — compare edaphic sense 2
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »
Well since the earth's magnetic N. pole is moving toward Russia it's obviously a Trump/Russian plot to steal the earth's magnetic field. Duh!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:41:40 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »
https://news.ucsc.edu/2018/12/magnetic-reversals.html

It is now known, for example, that magnetic reversals happen much more frequently than previously surmised, and that they can often occur at incredibly rapid clips. It is also known that the last complete reversal, which occurred 770,000 years ago, occurred over a span of less than 100 years.

I saw this in the OP's citation:

"Earth will be less protected from the oodles of high-energy particles that are constantly..."

An amusing quantity, "oodles":

http://www.word-detective.com/2008/07/oodles/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:09:21 PM »

So an APS member returns after a multi-year absence, to a forum that is ever dwindling, and the first response to his post is an APS grammar nazi chasing him back off? The proper response would have been, "Long time no see! Welcome back!"

There are several "protectors of the English language" here that need to take a chill pill, yo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 01:39:04 AM »
So an APS member returns after a multi-year absence, to a forum that is ever dwindling, and the first response to his post is an APS grammar nazi chasing him back off? The proper response would have been, "Long time no see! Welcome back!"

There are several "protectors of the English language" here that need to take a chill pill, yo.

"Long time no see" is terrible grammar.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 07:06:28 AM »
Defending the defenders.

Anti defenders of the language need to take a chill pill, yo.

"Nazis" indeed.

I was momentarily confused by that usage and had to read it twice to figure it out.  It was like hitting a speed bump.

I should not have had to read it twice, and if we allow this business of garbling the lingo, sooner or later, we won't have a lingo.  Or if we do, it will all be rapspeak or libspeak.

Are you speaking as a moderator, or as an ordinary Joe on this matter?

I need to know because I have found that many moderators (on other boards, certainly not here) can use their authority to subtly screw up a participant who has challenged them on something.

Yes, I'm angry.  I will use street speak myself for the sake of having my words slide trippingly off the tongue, but to challenge someone for correcting a completely incorrect word demonstrates the "need for a chill pill" and smacks of the very authoritarianism being challenged.

Yes, I'm angry.  "Nazis" indeed.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:01:33 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »

I'm speaking as a moderator.

We're trying to bring in good new members and keep members. People are getting sick of the constant grammar nagging, especially since half of the "language misuse" comes from finger fumbling on phones and autocorrect or else posting before coffee.

It's rather insulting to most of the people here to be called out because someone thinks they don't actually know the difference between "there" and "their".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 09:21:02 AM »

Furthermore,  I offer the hypothesis that any measureable so-called climactic climate variations are a result of these phenomena.

EDIT- Signed in to fix spelling and to thank you for the curt reminder of why I've been gone for a few years.

TUCO!

Dang, man... where ya been? Good to see you back.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »
As a member rather than a moderator I would mention there is a big difference between "Hey Tuco, welcome back. By the way, I think you meant climatic."  and sourcing and quoting dictionary links.  One comes off as helpful, and the other as pretentious.

Also:

Hey Tuco, good to see you back.  As you can tell we still are weird and drama filled.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »

I should not have had to read it twice, and if we allow this business of garbling the lingo, sooner or later, we won't have a lingo.  Or if we do, it will all be rapspeak or libspeak.

Terry

And get off my God-damned lawn!   :old:

From a member, not a mod.   =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »
As you can tell we still are weird and drama filled.

Weird, yes, though I dunno that we're filled with drama as much as coffee, scotch, and snark...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
Weird, yes, though I dunno that we're filled with drama as much as coffee, scotch, and snark...

Brad

Replace scotch with rum and that would pretty much describe me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:14:01 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »
I will not choose between scotch and rum.

I will alternate days.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 01:17:32 PM »
So when they say this stuff is rapidly changing, they usually don't point out they mean "rapidly" in a geologic scale.  I think we got a little time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »
Welcome back, Tuco.

Or should I say, "Bill Carson"?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »
Replace scotch with rum and that would pretty much describe me.

I would have thought Bourbon for you.  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
I would have thought Bourbon for you.  :P

Everyone thinks that if you're from Kentucky you drink Bourbon, never got a taste for it. Don't dislike it, just like a good spiced rum better.

On a related note
I have encountered people from out of state, seems like people from California are the worst about this,  who were actually shocked to see us wearing shoes.
We actually have cites too. And believe it or not, many here have never rode a horse.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »
Defending the defenders.

Anti defenders of the language need to take a chill pill, yo.

"Nazis" indeed.

I was momentarily confused by that usage and had to read it twice to figure it out.  It was like hitting a speed bump.

I need to know because I have found that many moderators (on other boards, certainly not here) can use their authority to subtly screw up a participant who has challenged them on something.

Yes, I'm angry.  I will use street speak myself for the sake of having my words slide trippingly off the tongue, but to challenge someone for correcting a completely incorrect word demonstrates the "need for a chill pill" and smacks of the very authoritarianism being challenged.

Yes, I'm angry.  "Nazis" indeed.

Terry

And I'm am also. 

Do keep in mind that this a on-line forum.  We are not writing formal letters to each other.  For many people (waves hand), often post as they are taking a break at work.  They sneak in, read a couple of posts, and quickly fire off a comment, and then sneak back out before the boss catches them.   Hence, frequent typos and word misuse.

I'm content in that I can make out the message and the intent of the post.  This isn't Sister Mary Elephant's 8th grade English class.

If you want to correct someone's grammar, then do it politely, otherwise we're going to continue to shed members and this place will be 5 people doing nothing but correcting the grammar in each other's posts.     
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:03 PM »
And I'm am also. 

Nice touch!  I"m assuming that was intentional.   :angel: