Author Topic: Assange charged  (Read 1297 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Assange charged
« on: November 17, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
Apparently the U.S. government has filed charges against Julian Assange, but the charges are sealed by court order.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/16/julian-assange-charges-wikileaks-997122

I'm not even sure that's legal, but I guess a judge says it is. Catch-22: The way to show that it's not legal is to challenge it in court, but if it's a secret, you don't know it exists to be challenged.

Only a few months into Trump’s presidency, his attorney general, Jeff Sessions, said it would be a “priority” to stop leaks and arrest Assange. CNN reported in April 2017 that the U.S. was preparing charges to arrest Assange and that then-CIA Director Mike Pompeo characterized WikiLeaks as “a non-state hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia.”

I don't understand why these two items have been made out to be joined at the hip. There are laws prohibiting leaking classified information. That's what Bradley Manning was convicted under. How does that extend to a journalist printing information he/she has been provided? I understand the need for security. I operated under a security clearance for much of my time in the Army. Leaking or otherwise disclosing classified information should be punished, severely. (Hello, Mrs. Clinton.) But freedom of the press is a higher law. If the .gov doesn't want to see classified information being published, then stop it -- by stopping the leaks. Prosecuting the journalists strikes me as shooting the messenger.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Assange charged
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 06:00:35 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:31:01 AM »
What US law is an Australian living overseas even subject to?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
Apparently the U.S. government has filed charges against Julian Assange, but the charges are sealed by court order.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/16/julian-assange-charges-wikileaks-997122

I'm not even sure that's legal, but I guess a judge says it is. Catch-22: The way to show that it's not legal is to challenge it in court, but if it's a secret, you don't know it exists to be challenged.

I don't understand why these two items have been made out to be joined at the hip. There are laws prohibiting leaking classified information. That's what Bradley Manning was convicted under. How does that extend to a journalist printing information he/she has been provided? I understand the need for security. I operated under a security clearance for much of my time in the Army. Leaking or otherwise disclosing classified information should be punished, severely. (Hello, Mrs. Clinton.) But freedom of the press is a higher law. If the .gov doesn't want to see classified information being published, then stop it -- by stopping the leaks. Prosecuting the journalists strikes me as shooting the messenger.

[tinfoil]Possibly they want him in court, so that all of his material is put on record, especially is much of it is damning to the last several administrations.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
Is he the consolation prize, as they've failed to indict Trump?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
Is he the consolation prize, as they've failed to indict Trump?

If by ‘consolation prize,’ you mean evidence of criminal activity by bushes, Clintons, Obamas, then yes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 03:08:18 AM »
Government S**t-f***ery

Exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1efOs0BsE0g
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »
The Rageaholic did a video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZQ_POiJks
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic