Author Topic: Notre Dame is on Fire  (Read 6996 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Notre Dame is on Fire
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
It's well known that religion interferes with communism.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
I’m sure the construction workers will approve of the new prayer room set aside for them as they build a new beautiful spire minaret.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »
It's well known that religion interferes with communism.
Communism's high priests (called kommisars, Chairmen, Dear Leaders, or whatever) regard people who follow any other religion as heretics to be either brainwashed re-educated or killed.

Back to Notre Dame . . . .

As long as we still don't know the cause of the fire, speculation about a deliberate origin is every bit as valid as speculation about accidental origin.

And if you're one of the fire investigators, it would be irresponsible to rule out anything this early. So right now, everything from a carelessly discarded cigarette to an islamofascist plot is - and should! - still be on the table.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
Communism's high priests (called kommisars, Chairmen, Dear Leaders, or whatever) regard people who follow any other religion as heretics to be either brainwashed re-educated or killed.

Back to Notre Dame . . . .

As long as we still don't know the cause of the fire, speculation about a deliberate origin is every bit as valid as speculation about accidental origin.

And if you're one of the fire investigators, it would be irresponsible to rule out anything this early. So right now, everything from a carelessly discarded cigarette to an islamofascist plot is - and should! - still be on the table.

Reports are that there was an initial alarm, firefighters responded and couldn't find any fire so they left, then there was a second alarm a half hour later, by which time the fire was already pretty much out of control. The construction is that there's a stone vault as the ceiling in the sanctuary, then a wooden roof structure covered with sheet lead roofing above the vault, creating an attic. Since the main structure is all stone and can't burn, more than likely the fire originated in the attic space above the vault. It may have started (and the progress of the fire based on photos supports this) in the area where the transept (the two short arms of the cross floor plan) intersects the nave and chancel (the long arms of the cross). The spire, which was under restoration, is (was) located above this intersection.

So the fire could have been caused accidentally by one of the workers. Or it could have been started deliberately by someone who gained access to the scaffolding, possibly after the workers had left for the day.

Stay tuned.  [popcorn]

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »
So far, decadent billionaire businessmen have pledged 510 million Euros ($576 million) toward the reconstruction of Notre Dame. Although the structure is owned by the French government, it nonetheless functions as a Roman Catholic cathedral. The head of the Roman Catholic Church, the Pope, has pledged ... an historical consultant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
Trump should pledge to send Pelosi

to replace Quasimodo
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »
Trump should pledge to send Pelosi to

replace Quasimodo

Wouldn't she make a better Djali?

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »
Pelosi, Pelosi......that name rings a bell........

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 05:02:06 PM »
Wouldn't she make a better Djali?

bob

AOC
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »
From Sean Spicier on Twitter:

"Nothing to worry about, folk!  Probably just some people doing something at Notre Dame"

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 07:49:33 AM »
There's been a long-running dispute between the Catholic Church and the governments of France about who is responsible for upkeep at Notre Dame.

The government say the Catholic Church, because, well, it's a church, and the church says the governments of France, because, well, France owns it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 07:55:20 AM »
I didn't think of it this way before, but some of the timbers that were used in the roof were saplings when Charlemagne was Holy Roman Emperor in the 800s.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 07:55:48 AM »
Pelosi, Pelosi......that name rings a bell........

<groaaaaan>

But :D

Pb

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
How Christian is France?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
How Christian is France?

Less and less Every. Damn. Day.  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 11:38:01 AM »
More hate from the loving compassionate left

But for some people in France, Notre Dame has also served as a deep-seated symbol of resentment, a monument to a deeply flawed institution and an idealized Christian European France that arguably never existed in the first place. “The building was so overburdened with meaning that its burning feels like an act of liberation,” says Patricio del Real, an architecture historian at Harvard University. If nothing else, the cathedral has been viewed by some as a stodgy reminder of “the old city — the embodiment of the Paris of stone and faith — just as the Eiffel Tower exemplifies the Paris of modernity, joie de vivre and change,” Michael Kimmelmann wrote for the New York Times. (Rolling Stone)

Another historian quoted in the piece, the University of Toronto's John Harwood, says it would be a mistake to view the building as little more than a Paris tourist attraction, according to Rolling Stone.

“It’s literally a political monument," he said. "All cathedrals are.”
'Nonsense': Rolling Stone Magazine Ripped For Sharing This Take on the Notre Dame Fire
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/04/17/rolling-stone-magazine-ripped-for-this-take-on-the-notre-dame-fire-n2544919

What can you say other than :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
“The building was so overburdened with meaning that its burning feels like an act of liberation,” says Patricio del Real, an architecture historian at Harvard University.

As accustomed as I am to the claptrap that emanates from Ivy League (especially, but not only) bastions of "higher learning," this statement -- coming from a purported architectural historian -- nonetheless surprised me. As an architect with several years of study in the history or art and architecture, I simply can't imagine any legitimate architectural historian making such a statement, or even harboring such a thought.

Western society truly is doomed.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »
If nothing else, the cathedral has been viewed by some as a stodgy reminder of “the old city — the embodiment of the Paris of stone and faith — just as the Eiffel Tower exemplifies the Paris of modernity, joie de vivre and change,” Michael Kimmelmann wrote for the New York Times. (Rolling Stone)

I've never been to Paris, but I have this crazy idea the modern "joie" is not all that joie-ful.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »
The Eiffel Tower was constructed between 1887 and 1889. Considering that there is nobody -- in Paris or anywhere else -- who was alive when it was built, I fail to see how it  could in any way be considered exemplary of "modernity."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 04:37:56 PM »
Liberation from what?

Can she show me on the dolly where the mean cathedral hurt her?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 04:43:31 PM »
As accustomed as I am to the claptrap that emanates from Ivy League (especially, but not only) bastions of "higher learning," this statement -- coming from a purported architectural historian -- nonetheless surprised me. As an architect with several years of study in the history or art and architecture, I simply can't imagine any legitimate architectural historian making such a statement, or even harboring such a thought.

Western society truly is doomed.

Purging the scholar class is one of the few things that communism gets right.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 06:13:07 PM »
Paul Joseph Watson
https://www.minds.com/PaulJosephWatson
Apr 17, 2019, 10:35:11 AM

French journalist Maxime Lepante warns that France’s history is “in the process of burning down” as a result of two churches being vandalized every day and that political and religious leaders don’t “give a f*ck.”

https://summit.news/2019/04/17/french-journalist-two-churches-in-france-are-vandalized-every-day-and-no-one-gives-a-fck/

Newly released France 2018 stats.

Anti-Christian attacks: 1063.

Anti-Jewish attacks: 541 (an increase of 74 per cent).

Anti-Muslim attacks: 100 (Lowest in 9 years).

https://summit.news/2019/04/15/france-attacks-against-jews-christians-continue-to-rise/
#muslim #France #churches #fire #PaulJosephWatson

“Submit to Islam”: South Carolina Church Vandalized With Islamic-Themed Graffiti
https://summit.news/2019/04/16/submit-to-islam-south-carolina-church-vandalized-with-islamic-themed-graffiti/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 07:44:04 PM »
Why is this thread stickied?  ???

The Eiffel Tower was constructed between 1887 and 1889. Considering that there is nobody -- in Paris or anywhere else -- who was alive when it was built, I fail to see how it  could in any way be considered exemplary of "modernity."

In Western history, the Modern period is usually thought to begin around 1500, give or take a century. Of course, there are many other definitions of "modern."

https://www.britannica.com/art/Modernism-art

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:31 AM »
Interesting. Man stopped from bringing gas and lighters into St Patricks Cathedral. Not releasing his name.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/st-patricks-cathedral-new-york-city
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?