Author Topic: Where to buy small quantity electronics components?  (Read 1464 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Where to buy small quantity electronics components?
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »
I'm having some issues with the Kohler engine in my mower.
Looks like I've got a pair of shorted diodes (1N5398), probably a bad rectifier as well but the diodes to start with.
Anyone know of a good supplier they can recommend?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Where to buy small quantity electronics components?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »
I've had no problems with electronics stuff from Amazon.  Bought a couple relays from them, motors, etc...

And going by memory, isn't the rectifier mostly diodes?  IE 4 diodes?

Heh, looks like you can get 30 pieces for $5, $5 shipping.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »
800 volts 1.5 A.

Aren't those themselves the rectifier?

Did  you check them out of the circuit?

What are the symptoms of the mower?  

I don't know where to buy small quantities of parts anymore except on-line and haven't done it for years.  So I can't recommend any particular vendor.  You might check with your local ham clubs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:53:57 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:29:43 AM »
Mouser. I've had real good luck with them.

They have a couple varieties of that rectifier, but the cheapest is $0.26, minimum order of 1.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/1N5398-E3-54?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbRapU8LlZD0HbIjlpuZ44qJxkYsbszoQ%3D

Shipping is like 7 or 8 bucks, so I tend to find some other stuff I want as well when buying small things.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:04:57 AM »
It has been years since I've ordered electronic components, but I've had good luck with Jameco and with Digikey.  (I have no idea if they are still in business)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
I meant regulator was thinking rectifier because diodes. :)

Saw several listed on Amazon anywhere from 5 to 100 quantity. Price and shipping about equal.

Thanks for the other suggestions I'll look some more.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »
EBay, usually.

If you're willing to wait you can get stuff directly out of China for unbelievable prices.  Slightly more if you want us stock.

Here's 5 diodes, same series but higher max voltage.  $1.99 shipped for 5.  These ship from the us.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-1N5399-1-5A-1000V-1kV-Silicon-Rectifier-Diode-Free-Shipping-from-USA/202622891845?hash=item2f2d43f745:g:R3UAAOSwGgdch--3&redirect=mobile

You can get 50 for $2.49 shipped out of China.  Be aware, it will be 3 to 4 weeks for delivery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Pcs-IN5399-1N5399-5399-1-5A-1000V-Gleichrichter-Diode-Rectifier-Free-Shipping/192485834141?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57159&meid=85a11a59762d43238c242a32e4eccdf4&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=202622891845&itm=192485834141&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&redirect=mobile

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 09:52:40 AM »
What model and serial number for the engine? It's entirely possible a new regulator unit will be just as cheap as the parts needed to fix it, or at least close enough to be worth not having to jack with component-level repair. A quick Google of "Kohler Regulator Rectifier" shows complete assembly prices from $15 to $50 with a sweet spot of $20-$25.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »
Mouser, digikey, SparkFun, AdaFruit, ebay.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 01:54:53 AM »
What model and serial number for the engine? It's entirely possible a new regulator unit will be just as cheap as the parts needed to fix it, or at least close enough to be worth not having to jack with component-level repair. A quick Google of "Kohler Regulator Rectifier" shows complete assembly prices from $15 to $50 with a sweet spot of $20-$25.

Brad

Hmm...  Seems to be a complete unit as well, doesn't it?

I'd suggest going with that. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »

Brad

The two bad diodes aren't part of the regulator. I'm not really sure just what all that section of the wiring is supposed to do but it is some part of the safety interlock/ignition circuit.
2 wires coming from the chassis harness are tied to a diode on the engine harness, each diode is tied together at the cathode side and crimped to a single wire which connects to a solenoid on the carberator. My problem was that the starter would engage as soon as the key was turned on.
I simply cut the leg that is tied to the starter solenoid
It starts and runs, the battery is charging and I was able to get my mowing done.
If anyone is all that curious about it I'll post a link to the engine wiring diagram.
I had suspected a physical short in the wiring because pulling on the harness where it goes into the blower housing would make the problem come and go. When I found the diodes I could pull on the leads of the one that connects to the starter and it  would go open. It was a bit of a head scratcher.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 10:10:17 AM »
I have a John Deere 170 lawn tractor, yea I know it's 29 years old but it runs awesome and I bought it used cheap because it had starting problems and some other mechanical issues.

Starting problems was due to some issues of voltage drop across all the safety switches not having enough juice to fire the starter solenoid when hitting the key. I fixed this by putting a relay an wiring harness between the safety circuit and starter solenoid. So when all safety switches are in safe mode it triggers the relay and a full 12 volts triggers the starter solenoid and turns over toot sweet. 14 hp Koehler btw.

Sorry for the simple explanation, with mechanical things, I just fix them, not write the repair manual.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 12:41:20 AM »
Digit-Key always works for me.

At one time (maybe they still do) Digi-Key assessed shipping charges based on how much you ordered.  At the bottom tier was

0 to $25 purchased:  $5 shipping.

Meaning, even if you bought nothing you still owed $5!   =D

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 09:21:58 AM »
Digit-Key always works for me.

At one time (maybe they still do) Digi-Key assessed shipping charges based on how much you ordered.  At the bottom tier was

0 to $25 purchased:  $5 shipping.

Meaning, even if you bought nothing you still owed $5!   =D

:rofl:

I love finding nonsensicals like that, of course.

The last "small-parts-brick-and-mortar" electronics store around here, Fistell's, closed up about five years ago, leaving us with nothing but Radio Shack, which was mostly geared to entertainment and computer electronics, but closed up around here anyhow.  By then Radio Shack had just started to sell small individual components again, but alas, they were too late in returning to their "origins" to recover.

I remember years ago asking one of their clerks about 2N2222 transistors ("two enn twenty-two twenty-two") and him, confused,  saying they didn't sell guns.  True HTG story.

He wasn't kidding and I had to explain it was a transistor. Say it fast and it does sound like a gun, though.  Or at least ammo.  The "triple deuce" caliber was popular then, too.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:15:24 AM by 230RN »