Author Topic: Foldable Smart Phone  (Read 3392 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Foldable Smart Phone
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
For you flip phone aficionados the new RAZR is supposed to drop this summer, and is what you describe as wanting.  Basically a smart phone that folds in half for storage.

https://www.t3.com/feature/motorola-razr-release-date-price-specs

Expect flagship smart phone pricing though.

For me, my GS9 is about perfect.  Fits in my front pocket, big enough to see most of the stuff I want, and battery lasts long enough that I never look at the charge indicator.  I don't understand folks that want to return to mobile devices being a phone and crappy telex machine.  I have pretty much the whole of human knowledge in my pocket.  Why would I give that up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
FIFY  :old:

Speaking as someone who has been wearing bilateral 'in-the-canal' hearing aids for decades, be careful what you wish for.  They itch, they sweat and they start to hurt after several hours of being worn.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2019, 11:09:44 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Speaking as someone who has been wearing bilateral 'in-the-canal' hearing aids for decades, be careful what you wish for.  They itch, they sweat and they start to hurt after several hours of being worn.

SWMBO always uses a q-tip at the end of the day to scratch her ear canals after wearing her hearing aids all day.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »

I can see that. Ever since I got my fitness watch, I check my phone less because text messages, email subjects, calendar events, etc. all pop up on the watch, so I just glance at that and decide if I need to use my phone or not. Having an earpiece that provides audio of these things could be even more convenient.

But the radio waves will rot your brain, or cause brain cancer, or something.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »
You could always man purse it. 

I thought the word for that was "murse."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »
I thought the word for that was "murse."

That's a Male Nurse.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 12:38:41 PM »

I actually do wonder about that. I still get a little paranoid sitting next to the wireless router in my office even knowing the exponential drop in energy with each foot I'm away from it.  I'd be interested in studies on wireless Internet devices inserted in the ear.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
Miss my old Motorola flip phone. After putting an extra capacity battery into it that I got off Amazon for 10 bucks I could go two weeks at a time before worrying about recharging. With my current Galaxy S7 I feel like I'm constantly watching the battery meter.

That's what I have, WX416.  Could fit a pack of cigs and the phone in a shirt pocket back when I smoked.  I charge it every Sunday whether it needs it or not but I don't use it that much anyway.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:19:03 PM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
Ok, yer making me do this ya know...

I've since added an changeable bit MAC Tools screwdriver and an 8" Crescent Wrench to the bag, changed to a Glock 19, added a pill bottle full of quarters and a pill bottle full of Dimes, Nickles and Pennies.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »
You could always man purse it.  =D My new purse is very unisex.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YVZGQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly, I would consider using that.  Especially if it did NOT have that "Komal's passion leather" tag on it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2019, 03:37:16 PM »
That's a Male Nurse.

Only if people switch from saying "woman doctor" to "female doctor." Until then, it only makes sense to say "man nurse."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 03:58:42 PM »
Only if people switch from saying "woman doctor" to "female doctor." Until then, it only makes sense to say "man nurse."

Ok fine. Man nurse still shortens to murse.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2019, 04:11:00 PM »
BTW: They are called "Messenger Bags"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »
Honestly, I would consider using that.  Especially if it did NOT have that "Komal's passion leather" tag on it.

The only tag is on the inside. It's actually a really nice bag. I couldn't believe it for the price. The leather is beautiful and broke in really nice.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2019, 05:27:57 PM »
My bag is by "Claire Chase" and looks better the more I use it. It has also held up REAL well. Only brand marks are on the zipper Pulls.

https://clairechase.com/product/405/

(obviously bought when we were both working in better days!) :old:
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
I still have my older leather Man-bag that was made for Concealed Carry and it has some loose threads on it but is still VERY serviceable!

MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2019, 10:31:13 AM »
My bag is by "Claire Chase" and looks better the more I use it. It has also held up REAL well. Only brand marks are on the zipper Pulls.

https://clairechase.com/product/405/

[pic]

Claire could be a guy's name, if that's what you're getting at.  Claire Chennault of the Flying Tigers, e.g.

Terry

REF:
https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/107526/major-general-claire-lee-chennault/

230RN

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
Quote from: Hawkmoon on April 20, 2019, 10:32:33 AM

I actually do wonder about that. I still get a little paranoid sitting next to the wireless router in my office even knowing the exponential drop in energy with each foot I'm away from it.  I'd be interested in studies on wireless Internet devices inserted in the ear.

But aren't those earpieces just receivers, and don't emanate any waves?  The router, on the other hand, does (or can do) two-way communications.

I sometimes have to grin when someone talks about the signal strength being too low or the frequency being too high to cause damage as if there were some distinct numerical cutoff for any biological effects, like "327.4 mega Herz" or "82.27 picowatts per square cm."

"Too high" a frequency to do any damage...  until you get to photons at cosmic ray frquency/energy levels.  Exempli gratia.

But that always starts an argument, which  usually revolves around the word "measurable."

Terry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:42:16 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »

But aren't those just receivers, and don't emanate any waves?  The router, on the other hand, does (or can do) two-way communications.

Terry

I don't know much about them, but my understanding is that they are transceivers. Since you can do the "Hey Google" thing with them, they've got to call out to something to transmit the request.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »
Claire could be a guy's name, if that's what you're getting at.  Claire Chennault of the Flying Tigers, e.g.

Terry

REF:
https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/107526/major-general-claire-lee-chennault/

Nothing of the sort. I was simply pointing out what I have found to be a quality bag that my wife bought for me back in better times. It comes from their "Man Bag" line and I have found it to be perfect for MY needs as someone who, in his wheelchair, can't effectively access his waist to draw and, when ya are tapered like an Ice Cream Cone, gravity is not your friend!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
Ben:
Wait a minute.  You mean from your earpieces?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were talking about.

???

HeroHog:  Oh, OK. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were talking about.

I use one of those black bags, too, but smaller, for my checkbook and camera and a bunch of other sundries. I usually leave it in the car.  My wallet is on a chain to my belt and my gun is in my pocket in warm weather.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
BEN:
Wait a minute.  You mean from your earpieces?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were talking about.

???

Yes. The earpieces are basically a miniature smartphone (and supposedly, eventually, more - like medical monitoring devices) that go in your ears, so they have to transmit requests to the interwebz, send your medical data and vitals to whatever that database is, etc.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »
You are talking Blue Tooth ear bud Transceivers, not wired ear buds, I believe, right? While they ARE Transceivers, they are NOT "miniature cell phones." What they are are Blue Tooth Transceivers and nothing more. The PHONE it is linked to does all the "heavy lifting." The wireless Ear Buds just use very low power BT to send digital sound and button presses to the phone.
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2019, 12:32:43 PM »
I don't have any desire to walk around with a bluetooth thingie stuck in my ear, like a refugee from the borg. Low power is still power -- I don't want a transceiver in such close proximity to the few functional grey cells I have left. I try not to use my cell phone next to my ear, either. When at home, I always use it on speaker phone and set the phone a few feet away from me. I try to limit my usage as much as possible when I'm out of the house.