Author Topic: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now  (Read 16152 times)

Pb

• friend
Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
For those who haven't heard, there are currently a lot of accusations of corruption in the upper ranks of the NRA, and massive amounts of financial mismanagment.

The NRA is even suing their PR firm for apparently ripping them off.

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2019/04/everytown-files-complaint-with-irs.html

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/nras-dirty-laundry-exposed-as-pro-gun-group-cleans-house/

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/nras-future-only-two-options-can-the-bod-save-us/

I have had the feeling for a while now that Wayne LaPierre is crooked.

I understand they do a lot of good, and will maintain my membership, but the board of directors needs to clean up this mess, and fire Wayne.

I am afraid it won't happen.

There appears to be the real possibility of the state of NY prosecuting the NRA for corrupt practices.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
A corrupt entity prosecuting another entity for corruption.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:52:23 AM »
I have had the feeling for a while now that Wayne LaPierre is crooked.

You are not the only one. He always struck me as having the ethics and morals of a bottom tier used car salesman at best, and an actual crook, at worst.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
I couldn't agree more that LaPierre should be fired. He certainly isn't worth what he's being paid. Nobody is worth that much to run a non-profit membership association.

Then I saw this:

They must expunge everyone involved in even the appearance of corruption. Including board members who failed in their oversight obligations and individuals like Josh Powell the genius behind many of the NRA's recent disasters like Carry Guard and a known manipulator of Wayne LaPierre's decision making.

Why and how is Carry Guard a disaster? I know that my reaction wasn't positive. I'm an NRA certified instructor in several disciplines, and it seemed to me that the Carry Guard program was an effort to steer training customers away from the usual NRA instructors in favor of a small group of newly-minted Carry Guard instructors. Is there more to it that I've missed?

And then there's the School Shield program. It sounds like a good idea, but when I inquired about becoming certified as a School Shield consultant I was told that it's only open to police officers and retired police officers. Never mind that I've been an architect -- and actively involved in school design, hardware and security system specification, and building and fire safety codes for more than forty years. Nope -- no place for me on a team advising schools on safety and security.

I'm a life member of the NRA and I won't renounce that, but I think there's a lot more that's wrong with the organization than there is right these days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »

Why and how is Carry Guard a disaster? I know that my reaction wasn't positive. I'm an NRA certified instructor in several disciplines, and it seemed to me that the Carry Guard program was an effort to steer training customers away from the usual NRA instructors in favor of a small group of newly-minted Carry Guard instructors. Is there more to it that I've missed?

Carry Guard supposedly violates a NY state law; the company that issued it is paying a huge fine.  The NRA is shutting it down.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
I look at all of this (a friend has been pretty gleefully sending me all of this crap, as she's antigun) and yawn.

Not many people remember what NRA was like in the 1970s and early to mid 1980s.

People weren't just predicting NRA's demise back then, they were pissing on the grave.

Several EVPs in a row were fired/removed by the BOD for serious shenanigans, including Ray Barnett (I think that was his name) was using NRA funds to pay for his on-staff 20-something slut's apartment and their vacations, and J. Warren Cassidy's inability to keep his dick in his pants on a wide variety of occasions, which resulted in several lawsuits.

And the Cincinnati Revolt was in there, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
Carry Guard supposedly violates a NY state law; the company that issued it is paying a huge fine.  The NRA is shutting it down.

It doesn't appear that they have shut it down yet. When is this supposed to happen?

https://www.nracarryguard.com/aftermath

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »
It doesn't appear that they have shut it down yet. When is this supposed to happen?

https://www.nracarryguard.com/aftermath

Hmm, good question.  I read somewhere they were shutting it down.   Maybe I was wrong?  It appears to have been a horrible decision either way.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 10:34:38 AM »
Thanks for the perspective Mike.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »
I saw several Twitchy links regarding Trump's NRA speech today and MSM and other sources alluding to "a troubled NRA". They're certainly jumping on it, regardless of any truth or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:43:39 PM »
I wonder if Trump will say anything about national concealed carry reciprocity. I'm still very happy to have Trump in the White house rather than Hillary (or Bernie), but the two most important promises Trump made on the campaign trail haven't been accomplished: he hasn't shut down the flow of illegal aliens, and he didn't push for national carry when he had both houses of Congress in his party.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 03:41:53 PM »
According to someone we’ve spoken to who’s in a position to know, NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre met with influential board members and fund-raisers last night and was asked for his resignation. The meeting reportedly became heated and LaPierre stormed out. He then responded to the demand with a scathing letter to those involved, refusing to step down.

LaPierre Refuses to Step Down After NRA Board Members Ask for His Resignation
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/04/daniel-zimmerman/lapierre-refuses-to-step-down-after-nra-board-members-ask-for-his-resignation/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
I absolutely did NOT think the NRA board had the gumption to ask LaPierre to step down. If this is true, and His Wayneness refuses to retire, I wonder if the board has the guts to fire him.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 06:04:23 PM »
Oh, and lets not forget the NRA's puppet masters, the Russians

Maria Butina: Russian agent sentenced to 18 months in prison
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48070413
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 08:44:49 PM »
More: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nras-wayne-lapierre-says-he-is-being-extorted-pressured-to-resign-11556314763

This article seems to be saying that it wasn't the Board of Directors who asked LaPierre to resign, it was Ollie North. So now it's a "He said ... she said" situation. North says LaPierre is the problem, LaPierre says North is the problem.

There's only one solution -- throw them both out.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 08:58:36 PM »

So it is Wayne v North and AckMac?

Good grief. 

Can't all of them lose?

I think they are all crooked.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 12:33:58 PM »
It looks like it's LaPierre - 1: North - 0

https://www.apnews.com/d5d90ab1596f478c8f20d4dbe3f73979

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »
It looks like it's LaPierre - 1: North - 0

https://www.apnews.com/d5d90ab1596f478c8f20d4dbe3f73979

Now can we get rid of Wayne too???  Is that too much to ask for?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 02:15:00 PM »
This article tells how to contact the NRA board of directors.

I did.
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/open-letter-voting-nra-members-nra-bod-tim-knight/#axzz5mJwomga7

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 06:43:24 PM »
Now can we get rid of Wayne too???  Is that too much to ask for?

Apparently it is, or was, too much to ask for

National Rifle Association Executive Vice President/CEO Wayne LaPierre was re-elected unanimously and unopposed by the NRA Board of Directors at their meeting in Indianapolis, Ind., April 29, 2019.

Carolyn Meadows was elected NRA President; Charles L. Cotton, First Vice President; and Willes Lee, Second Vice President.

Also retaining their offices are NRA Secretary/General Counsel John Frazer; and Craig Spray, Treasurer.

Chris W. Cox was re-appointed as Executive Director for the Institute for Legislative Action; and Joseph De Bergalis, Jr., Executive Director, General Operations.

All NRA officers were elected unanimously and unopposed.

It's Official: Wayne LaPierre Unanimously Re-Elected After Tumultuous Annual Meeting
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/04/29/reports-wayne-lapierre-unanimously-reelected-after-tumultuous-annual-meeting-n2545564
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:52:28 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »
My dues are paid-up until the end of 2020.  I'm not going to cancel my membership.  But if the NRA is even still around in a year and a half, I might let my membership expire.

I wonder who's going to fill the vacuum when the NRA implodes on its own or is shut down by the NY Attorney General's office.  CCRKBA?  SAF?  (those might be the same thing)  GOA?  I'm not sure if the GOA actually does anything besides sling mud at the NRA and collect donations.  The mudslinging might be deserved but if that's all GOA does it doesn't really help the cause.
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »
i really liked both wayne lp and sandra froman when i met them.
i was very obviously concealed carrying when i met wayne, before he entered the room the security
was pretty nervous - this was in the old reno hilton for a john mccain
/NRA fundraiser.

also, i don't really know why, i just don't trust north much.
it could be a hangover from the eighties when i was a liberal idiot.
( LOL, I'm now a conservative idiot LOL ) ....

i just dont trust him, can't tell you any good reason why.

I'm a life member but i have not voted for a long time, just been to distracted by everything.

I'll say a prayer that it straightens itself out.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »
Oliver North was only there a year and from what I have heard, the "President" has little actual power.  I have been hearing about questionable financial issues since before he was there.  IMO, if LaPierre and his loyalists are hanging on, nothing will change.

https://apnews.com/abfecc7f1d56498d8b4a1aee6b1f84d8
New York State AG investigating NRA.  It appears they have jurisdiction since NRA is chartered in New York. 
If there are actual financial shenanigans going on, I figure this will bring it out in the open for good or bad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
I thought North was kind of an odd choice for the public face of the NRA.  As in, who thought that was a good idea?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 10:25:42 AM »
I thought North was kind of an odd choice for the public face of the NRA.  As in, who thought that was a good idea?

Apparently AckMac, since they had him secretly on their payroll.

I would like to encourage you all to not drop the NRA.

Despite their fiscal incompetentance, they still are more effective than any of the other organizations.