Author Topic: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now  (Read 16139 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
Someone leaked a few of Wayne's expense reports. From the article (if accurate), it appears the board is more upset about the leak than, for instance, the Bahamas "business trip".

While something like the intern's living expenses are not out of line for DC, $40K for clothes shopping in Beverly Hills is something I, as a member, would like to see investigated.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/leaked-letters-reveal-details-of-nra-chiefs-alleged-spending
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
I thought North was kind of an odd choice for the public face of the NRA.  As in, who thought that was a good idea?

Still a better choice than Lon Horiuchi.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:29 PM »
I was thinking about him the day. I am looking for an aftermarket rifle stock & happened on an HS Precision add. Thinking if anyone generally younger than us here even know who he is. Or the FBI's involvement in Ruby Ridge.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »
I was thinking about him the day. I am looking for an aftermarket rifle stock & happened on an HS Precision add. Thinking if anyone generally younger than us here even know who he is. Or the FBI's involvement in Ruby Ridge.

Should we assume you were referring to Lon Horiuchi rather than Ollie North?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 12:06:28 AM »
Sorry, Yes Horiuchi. Thought the H.S. Precision & Ruby Ridge references would clarify that.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »
Wayne needs to be fired immediately.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
I'd hoped Wayne would go .... Col. North went instead. :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
I am neutral on North.  He was being paid to be the celebrity President of the NRA from what I heard.  I think he is still on the Board.  I could care less if he goes or stays.  I do think La Pierre and his cronies need to go.  I am certainly not sending them any more money until there is some change. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 02:03:31 PM »
Don't think the writer is happy with the NRA either

“NRA President Carolyn Meadows told the newspaper in a statement that the “entire board is fully aware of these issues. We have full confidence in Wayne LaPierre.”

“It is troubling and pathetic that some people would resort to leaking information to advance their agendas,” she added.”

Pincus: This is What NRA Members Can Do Now to #ChangeTheNRA
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/05/ttag-contributor/pincus-this-is-what-nra-members-can-do-now-to-changethenra/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 10:14:44 AM »
I'd hoped Wayne would go .... Col. North went instead. :'(

North was a crook also.  He was getting paid money on the side by AckMac.

Now AckMac is retaliating after having their crookedness exposed by releasing information about Wayne's sleazy antics.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
North was a crook also.  He was getting paid money on the side by AckMac.

Now AckMac is retaliating after having their crookedness exposed by releasing information about Wayne's sleazy antics.
What I heard was North was asked to be NRA President, but he was working for Fox.  The money from AckMac was to pay him to leave Fox to be the NRA President.  I don't know if that is any better, but it makes more sense.  It also underscores that we shouldn't need celebrity leaders especially when it is just a figurehead to draw attention away from who is really running things. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
On a related note, have any of you noticed the NRA seeming to try to roll over the local state organization? 

The Texas State Rifle Organization has always been the local state affiliate of the NRA, but always operated separately.  Lately, I seem to notice emails and letters from the NRA talking about the status of state gun bills with no mention whatsoever of the TSRA as if the NRA was the only org in the state.  Is that something you see where you are?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 07:06:32 PM »
They do operate separate.   I've gotten alerts from the NRA on some bills and alerts from the ISRA on others.

For years here in Illinois the ISRA didn't care about Concealed Carry.  The NRA did.  It was a court case prompted by the SAF and the NRA that put the state legislature in a corner to pass a LTC bill.

The ISRA only came along because there were smaller CCW-specific groups that were taking members from the it (along with many of their old er members dying off.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:07 PM »

For years here in Illinois the ISRA didn't care about Concealed Carry.  The NRA did.  It was a court case prompted by the SAF and the NRA that put the state legislature in a corner to pass a LTC bill.

The ISRA only came along because there were smaller CCW-specific groups that were taking members from the it (along with many of their old er members dying off.)

Same here. For years, there has been an organization in my state that was (and is) concerned mostly with hunting, and secondly with high power rifle shooting. Personal carry of handguns was definitely not on their agenda. A few years ago someone started a new, grassroots organization modeled after the Virginia Citizens Defense League for the purpose of 2nd Amendment advocacy in general, and the personal right to carry arms for self defense in particular. The new organization grew quickly and has now far surpassed the old group of Fudds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/nra-legal-bills-raise-all-sorts-of-red-flags?source=twitter&via=desktop

“One hundred thousand dollars a day? That’s just off the charts.”

That’s how Deborah Rhode, a legal ethics expert from Stanford Law School, put it after reviewing a memo from ex-NRA president Oliver North. In the document, North laid out allegations against the embattled gun rights group’s outside law firm, claiming the firm has billed the association about $24 million since last March and $8.8 million in the first three months of 2019—averaging to more than $97,000 per day. Meanwhile, the NRA’s latest financial disclosures forms show its revenue has slumped under the gun-friendly Trump administration.
I am not sure if this is new information or not.  Just a link I came across on Twitter.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »
https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/statement-regarding-nra/
Statement Regarding the NRA
In Front Page, Second Amendment by Allen West

I do not support Wayne LaPierre continuing as the EVP/CEO of the NRA. The vote in Indianapolis was by acclamation, not roll call vote. There is a cabal of cronyism operating within the NRA and that exists within the Board of Directors. It must cease, and I do not care if I draw their angst. My duty and responsibility is to the Members of the National Rifle Association, and my oath, since July 31, 1982, has been to the Constitution of the United States, not to any political party, person, or cabal.

The NRA Board of 76 is too large and needs to be reduced to 30 or less. We need term limits of four (4) terms on the Board. We need to focus the NRA, the nation’s oldest civil rights organization on its original charter, mission, training and education in marksmanship, shooting sports, and the defense of the Second Amendment.

Read more https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/statement-regarding-nra/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
NRA offers a pension?

That's news to me. They didn't offer jack/*expletive deleted*it when I worked for them in the early 1990s. You wanted a pension you saved into your own IRA.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 01:28:14 PM »
NRA offers a pension?

That's news to me. They didn't offer jack/*expletive deleted*it when I worked for them in the early 1990s. You wanted a pension you saved into your own IRA.

Per the link, they don't anymore.

Knowing people who have worked at HQ, every one of the complaints Mr. Lander was making ring true. Hopefully, something will be done about the issues.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2019, 02:19:34 PM »
From what I have heard, if your name is LaPierre and perhaps a buddy of his, you can get a generous severance package.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »
From what I have heard, if your name is LaPierre and perhaps a buddy of his, you can get a generous severance package.

I read LaPierre is going to get his full salary for life as a "consultant" after he retires.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »

Here in Spokane we remember Ruby Ridge. The paper runs something on it every now and then.  Hopefully some of the younger generations are reading the paper.

http://www.spokesman.com/search/?page=3&sort=date&q=ruby+ridge

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
Here in Spokane we remember Ruby Ridge. The paper runs something on it every now and then.  Hopefully some of the younger generations are reading the paper.

http://www.spokesman.com/search/?page=3&sort=date&q=ruby+ridge

bob

I remember Ruby Ridge.  I remember yelling at NPR on the commute because their version was obviously biased.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 03:19:33 PM »
So long as the NRA continues to be Wayne's circle jerk, its doomed for failure.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2019, 09:40:36 AM »
Some of you may have seen the email the NRA recently sent out to address "the allegations" against Wayne. Here's one regarding the clothing purchases:

Fact: Over the years, Wayne had been advised by the NRA's advertising professionals to invest in his professional wardrobe due to his numerous public and media appearances. We understand that this was the same agency that facilitated the clothing purchases. What wasn't as evident in this "disclosure" is that the clothing expenses referenced in media reports dated back to expenses from 15 years ago!

Obviously someone in his position should have a "power wardrobe". But he works in the DC metro area. That place is power suit central. He couldn't have gotten his wardrobe locally? They also seem to excuse it because it was 15 years ago and the practice has now stopped. So what? They still poorly spent my money 15 years ago.

I will say it appears he/the NRA were apparently following the direction of their PR company on this, but still - use some common sense. I guarantee that was custom tailored clothing, which means he flew across the country (possibly in combination with other business) for measurements. He had 4 hours of flight time to think about the optics of it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."