Author Topic: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now  (Read 16158 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Lots of problems going on with the NRA right now
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2019, 02:21:38 PM »
To me, it doesn't matter who suggested it or exactly where he bought the suits. I used to work in a firm where suit and tie was the order of the day. I didn't get a clothing allowance. I paid for my own suits, shirts, and ties. (And my own shoes, socks, and underwear.) I don't remember if my accountant at the time said I could write off some of that expense because it was a work requirement, but the bottom line was that I paid for my own clothes. And I wasn't making nearly what Wayne LaPierre was making fifteen years ago.

Now I find myself wondering how often Wayne goes to lunch with Chris Coxe so they can charge the lunch to an NRA business credit card because they "discussed NRA business" over lunch. Back when I was in an architecture firm that did work around the country, several of us frequently went to lunch together. We usually discussed our projects ... but nobody got to charge lunch to the company's credit card because we were discussing business.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2019, 08:01:42 PM »
To me, it doesn't matter who suggested it or exactly where he bought the suits. I used to work in a firm where suit and tie was the order of the day. I didn't get a clothing allowance. I paid for my own suits, shirts, and ties. (And my own shoes, socks, and underwear.) I don't remember if my accountant at the time said I could write off some of that expense because it was a work requirement, but the bottom line was that I paid for my own clothes. And I wasn't making nearly what Wayne LaPierre was making fifteen years ago.

Now I find myself wondering how often Wayne goes to lunch with Chris Coxe so they can charge the lunch to an NRA business credit card because they "discussed NRA business" over lunch. Back when I was in an architecture firm that did work around the country, several of us frequently went to lunch together. We usually discussed our projects ... but nobody got to charge lunch to the company's credit card because we were discussing business.
That last part happens a lot.  Occasionally my company cracks down on it or sends out reminders of the rules.  Rarely do I hear about them actually firing anyone.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 09:36:47 PM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/05/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-ackerman-mcqueen-severs-ties-with-nra/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wideopen&utm_content=%5B%5Brssitem_title%5D%5D

Ackerman McQueen Severs Ties With NRA

I hope this doesn't just lead to the NRA's new relationship with Hackerman McKeen with employees who look a lot like the old ones.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 11:23:25 PM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/05/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-ackerman-mcqueen-severs-ties-with-nra/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wideopen&utm_content=%5B%5Brssitem_title%5D%5D

Ackerman McQueen Severs Ties With NRA

I hope this doesn't just lead to the NRA's new relationship with Hackerman McKeen with employees who look a lot like the old ones.

But the NRA's counsel is still William Brewer III, and William Brewer III is still the son-in-law of one of Ackerman McQueen's principals. I still suspect that this entire lawsuit is a smokescreen, designed to make it look to the outside like the NRA is [finally] fulfilling its fiduciary responsibilities, but with the suit being managed in such a way that the NRA will be guaranteed to lose.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2019, 11:10:32 AM »
I have heard people say that many of the employees at NRA headquarters are Ackerman McQueen employees as well as there being a lot of family and friend connections between them.  Severing ties is easier said than done.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2019, 11:19:29 AM »
Slight tangent. I'm of course accustomed to the NRA emails with "End if times! You have to donate now!" statements (same as other lobbying groups do) regarding gun rights. I did just see in an email this morning though, that they are using this current situation as, "This is the end of the NRA! We're finished without your help!"

I don't think I've ever seen them send an email that the NRA itself was on the verge of death. Gun rights at an end, sure, but I don't think they've ever used an advertising angle saying they themselves were at a end. In some ways it makes them look weak to me, so I'm not sure it's an effective angle. For me at least -  I realize they gear this kind of advertising to a different demographic. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
Damn the NRA.

This is the best pro-gun government we've had in decades and all the NRA can do is shoot themselves in the foot.  Lapierre, et al, should be taken out back, flogged and fired.  Worthless sacks of sh!t.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2019, 03:30:31 PM »
Damn the NRA.

This is the best pro-gun government we've had in decades and all the NRA can do is shoot themselves in the foot.  Lapierre, et al, should be taken out back, flogged and fired.  Worthless sacks of sh!t.

ON THE OTHER HAND, what better time to clean house?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »
Brownells CEO Pete Brownell has been a member of the National Rifle Association’s board of directors for about a decade. He served as the organization’s president from 2017 to 2018. Now, however, TTAG has learned that Brownell has announced his resignation from the organization’s board.
BREAKING: Pete Brownell Has Resigned from the National Rifle Association Board of Directors
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/05/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-pete-brownell-has-resigned-from-the-national-rifle-association-board-of-directors/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2019, 02:30:49 PM »
But wait, there's more

The New York Times reports publicly that the National Rifle Association has suspended their number two man, Chris Cox.   The move follows a lawsuit filed yesterday against Oliver North, the former NRA president who reportedly asked Wayne LaPierre to step down.

Plenty of us know there has been some bad blood between LaPierre and Cox for some time.  However, this move by LaPierre and his cronies will surely deepen the conflict within the organization’s headquarters and with its members.  After all, Cox didn’t buy ten $20,000 suits and bill them to the NRA.

BREAKING: NRA Suspends NRA-ILA Head Chris Cox
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-nra-suspends-nra-ila-head-chris-cox/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »
But wait, there's more

BREAKING: NRA Suspends NRA-ILA Head Chris Cox
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-nra-suspends-nra-ila-head-chris-cox/

This is concerning. He's been extremely good heading ILA, so the organization better have a good explanation for this. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »
This is concerning. He's been extremely good heading ILA, so the organization better have a good explanation for this. 

Yes, this has me curious as well. I've not heard anything negative about Chris Cox. I certainly could have missed it, but most of the ire (from my POV) seems to be at the board and Wayne.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
I don't know what my opinion is of Chris Cox since his name was on the bump stock letter, but I thought he was a buddy of Wayne.  I hope this just means it is the beginning of the end.  IMO, this is the sort of thing that makes the corporate sponsors start pulling away their support.  I have heard member support (money) has been dropping off sharply, but I have seen no numbers. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
I saw a number of comments on that link say something like "Good!  Fire Wayne LaPierre next." 

Who do they think is in charge of the NRA?  There is only Wayne from what I have heard.  I think the only way to get him out is starve him out. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
I have heard member support (money) has been dropping off sharply, but I have seen no numbers. 

As a benefactor member, I've kinda topped off on money that I will give to them for anything other than a true "rights emergency" (not what they call an emergency in every letter they send me). However, if I hadn't already given what I consider more than my fair share,  I wouldn't even think of giving them a penny right now until they straighten their *expletive deleted*it out.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 06:42:04 PM »
There was a recent ILA gun raffle I got in the mail.  I ALWAYS send money for those.  I did not this time. 

I am just a regular NRA member, but my membership is paid up though 2045 or so.  I am not going to cancel it or anything.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »
There was a recent ILA gun raffle I got in the mail.  I ALWAYS send money for those.  I did not this time. 

I am just a regular NRA member, but my membership is paid up though 2045 or so.  I am not going to cancel it or anything.

I would never think of canceling my membership or anything. I'm just less supportive of them right now. That will certainly change if/when they straighten things out.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »
Rumble is that LaPierre thinks Cox was working with North in the ill-fated coup attempt.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
Yep, sounds like LaPierre is going all scorched earth in his hunt to find his enemies.

Like others, I'm sitting out on donating more until the dust settles and i see who's what, and where.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2019, 10:03:00 PM »
I'm sitting it out until LaPierre is gone.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2019, 09:51:06 AM »
There is a claim that maybe he is not suspended after all?  

https://www.pagunblog.com/2019/06/20/is-anyone-running-nra/#comments

Who knows?

???

edit- I misunderstood.  Chris denies plotting against Wayne, not being suspended.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:44:02 PM by BTR »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDMhgGYDTWA
Hickok45 will no longer support the NRA or take sponsorship from them.  

As bad as the NRA has become, I am not sure if the NRA can be salvaged.  It would take some dedicated people getting control of it to turn it around.  IMO, the odds are against it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »

As bad as the NRA has become, I am not sure if the NRA can be salvaged.  It would take some dedicated people getting control of it to turn it around.  IMO, the odds are against it.

Wow. He addressed "why" very well, and I think 99% of the comments were supportive.

This is the kind of thing that the board of directors should take notice of. It's like they've all got buckets on their heads.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »

I follow a lot of 2A social media, and the only one still openly supporting the NRA is Colion Noir, and he's getting paid by them to do so.  Many of the rest (MAC, IV8888, Yankee Marshall) are openly attacking the NRA as it exists now, and getting a ton of support for doing so.  Seems to me that, while that support means little, what it most likely means is that those supporters ain't sending cash to the NRA these days...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark