Author Topic: Trump on Service Academy Waivers  (Read 1699 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Trump on Service Academy Waivers
« on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
Here's one where I absolutely disagree with the Prez:

https://www.newser.com/article/91b1a907ae594986ae73d85a75d31bad/trump-wants-to-restore-waiver-for-service-academy-athletes.html

The Prez wants to allow graduates of the U.S. military academies to pursue a career in professional sports immediately after graduation, and serve their required two years of active duty only after their professional career has ended.

I can't support this. These people are getting a top notch education completely free. If they're any good as pro athletes, their careers could last for ten, fifteen, maybe even twenty years. As one example, Roger Staubach was an Annapolis graduate. He did his two years, then he played for eleven years with the Dallas Cowboys. He was born in February of 1942 and he graduated from Annapolis in 1967, so he was 25 at the time. Add eleven years to that for a pro career ... I can't see the Navy having much use for a 37-year old Ensign.

I think people who are pursuing pro athletic careers should skip the service academies and just take their scholarships at one of the big farm system "universities."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Trump on Service Academy Waivers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »
Here's one where I absolutely disagree with the Prez:

https://www.newser.com/article/91b1a907ae594986ae73d85a75d31bad/trump-wants-to-restore-waiver-for-service-academy-athletes.html

The Prez wants to allow graduates of the U.S. military academies to pursue a career in professional sports immediately after graduation, and serve their required two years of active duty only after their professional career has ended.

I can't support this. These people are getting a top notch education completely free. If they're any good as pro athletes, their careers could last for ten, fifteen, maybe even twenty years. As one example, Roger Staubach was an Annapolis graduate. He did his two years, then he played for eleven years with the Dallas Cowboys. He was born in February of 1942 and he graduated from Annapolis in 1967, so he was 25 at the time. Add eleven years to that for a pro career ... I can't see the Navy having much use for a 37-year old Ensign.

I think people who are pursuing pro athletic careers should skip the service academies and just take their scholarships at one of the big farm system "universities."

It's a publicity stunt for the service academies. The odds of making it from any university to the pros are still low enough that it might affect what, a few dozen graduates a year?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 02:57:37 PM »
I guess this would allow the service academy to recruit better athletes?  I am not sure if that would really help them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 03:44:29 PM »
I guess this would allow the service academy to recruit better athletes?  I am not sure if that would really help them.

Status and advertising.  Putting out pro athletes would get more people interested in the service academies. 
Not sure it's necessary, but I don't see the need for the pants-shitting that the OP is having over it, either.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »
I'm in agreement with Hawkmoon.
Maybe a caveat,  if they go pro after the academy they pay back the costs of their education.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »
Status and advertising.  Putting out pro athletes would get more people interested in the service academies. 
Not sure it's necessary, but I don't see the need for the pants-shitting that the OP is having over it, either.

I'm not sure it would be the right kind of interest, given how regular universities are happy to graduate functional illiterates as long as they're good at kicking a ball around. People joining to go pro-sports and make millions of dollars are maybe not the best fit for a military academy, and the code and responsibility that goes (or should go) with being commissioned and having lives under your command. JMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
I don't like this either.   I think the military service comes first,  then,  fine,  try out for sports.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 07:57:01 PM »
I'm not sure it would be the right kind of interest, given how regular universities are happy to graduate functional illiterates as long as they're good at kicking a ball around. People joining to go pro-sports and make millions of dollars are maybe not the best fit for a military academy, and the code and responsibility that goes (or should go) with being commissioned and having lives under your command. JMO.

The Supply Officer on my last boat was an Annapolis grad that went on a sportsball plan of some sort. Never did get the whole story but he wasn't a line officer.
Other than that he was about as useful as teats on a brick.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
I don't like this either.   I think the military service comes first,  then,  fine,  try out for sports.

This. I appreciate those who volunteer to serve our country, especially today. But academy grads should serve their country before, not after, they get chewed up by professional sports.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 07:00:16 AM »
Academy grads commit to a minimum of 5 years active duty service at the start of their third academic year.  Grads serve as officers. Fail to graduate and you incur an enlisted commitment.  Length of commitment for grads may be longer, depending on what type of service (I believe aviators commit for 8 years) or further education (medical school, law school). 

There are some good athletes at the academy. Some have the talent to go pro.  But even those athletes, or the vast majority, are at the academies to serve, not to prep for a pro sports career.  I disagree with the President.  A waiver is unnecessary. It is possible to serve and then go pro, like Roger Staubach and David Robinson.  A waiver is not in the military's best interests, as it is throwing money away with no return on investment.  And it will do nothing but allow academies to recruit athletes who have no real interests in serving, who probably wouldn't make it to graduation anyways.

Chris, United States Military Academy Class of 1991
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »
You mean we paid for your education, and you ended up being a lawyer? Sad!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
You mean we paid for your education, and you ended up being a lawyer? Sad!

You paid for my undergrad. Thanks for that. Law school was all on me.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 11:19:34 PM »

You paid for my undergrad. Thanks for that. Law school was all on me.

Yes. We gave you the degree, and you turned on us, and used it to get into the swamp.  :mad:

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 06:42:53 PM »

Yes. We gave you the degree, and you turned on us, and used it to get into the swamp.  :mad:

Where else would a grunt feel more at home than a swamp( I was an 11A, straight leg Infantry officer.)  Stinky, slimy, lots of snakes and lizards.

Don't worry, I'm really just a country lawyer.  ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
Where else would a grunt feel more at home than a swamp( I was an 11A, straight leg Infantry officer.)  Stinky, slimy, lots of snakes and lizards.

So you will take various farm animals and home canned foods for payment?

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »

You forgot the toads. What the hell kind of swamp would you have without toads?

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 01:47:20 AM »
As a non-academy commissioned officer, I really don't care.   The sportsball academy recruits still have to meet the same academic and other requirements of the academies.  The most famous two Staubach and Robinson only served 2 years of active duty before going off to Pro sports.

I have no problem with academy grads going straight into sportsball, then fulfilling their service requirements when their playing days are done.  And yes, a 37 year-old Ensign might actually know his ass from a hole in the ground. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.