Author Topic: Iran seems to be getting.... Frisky.  (Read 7564 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Iran seems to be getting.... Frisky.
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
Correct. 100 percent.

That, however, does not preclude the possibility that preserving stability in the oil market may be in the best interest of the USA.

Oil is a global commodity.  And other markets react to the cost/price of energy. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 05:34:50 PM »
The really odd thing is just before the tankers were attacked our gas was $2.80+-.  Tankers attacked, gas prices dropped to the $2.50s and today I saw 3 stations at $2.29.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »

If that actually happened,  we'd be rid of a largish part of current global conflict.

Long as we airlifted everyone home first,  I'm fine with it.

As the Brit officer in Pirates of the Caribbean replied to Captain Jack Sparrow's question "what do you have to lose?"

Nothing I'd miss.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 10:10:09 PM »
How much of a problem are they to US citizens if there are no US citizens in the region?

We don’t really “need” their oil.

If our goal is stable global oil prices then we sure are going about it in a weird way, destabilizing the whole Middle East.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »

What did you use, a Photon Torpedo? ? ? ? ? ? [popcorn] :O  [popcorn] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
How much of a problem are they to US citizens if there are no US citizens in the region?

We don’t really “need” their oil.

If our goal is stable global oil prices then we sure are going about it in a weird way, destabilizing the whole Middle East.

How powerful would you like Russia and China to be?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
How powerful would you like Russia and China to be?

Has the financial black hole of our involvement in destabilizing the Middle East made our lives better?

Has it made us more powerful?

If we were worried about China we wouldn’t tolerate American consumers and corporations funding their military build up and we wouldn’t tolerate their stealing of technologies. Trump is the only one acting like he cares.

Russia really only has a few cards to play, energy/teaming up with China, and their nukes. Once again, it’s Trump who wants to drive a wedge between China/Russia by having better relations with Russia.

Blowing up Middle East countries and deposing their governments, certainly on the face of it, doesn’t enhance our position in the world.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »
Guess who
She hasn't got a clue who we're dealing with

This administration needs to put down its saber and pick up a phone.

Diplomacy is what grants us peace and stability – not war. #NoWarOnIran https://t.co/NZtifF3eki

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) June 21, 2019
OMG make it STOP! AOC’s Iran strategy not quite as dumb as her concentration camps take, but it’s close (watch)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/06/21/omg-make-it-stop-aocs-iran-strategy-not-quite-as-dumb-as-her-concentration-camps-take-but-its-close-watch/

The first reply at the link after this says it all.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »
Guess who
She hasn't got a clue who we're dealing with
 OMG make it STOP! AOC’s Iran strategy not quite as dumb as her concentration camps take, but it’s close (watch)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/06/21/omg-make-it-stop-aocs-iran-strategy-not-quite-as-dumb-as-her-concentration-camps-take-but-its-close-watch/

The first reply at the link after this says it all.

God, she's an idiot.

In the meantime, Trump appears to be acting very rationally and contemplative. If this is accurate, then to me, he's approaching the problem carefully and with a restraint that in fact keeps the chance for negotiations open, yet without appearing weak. AOC apparently wants to have tea and crumpets with them, while gays are smacking on the sidewalk around the cafe.

"We apologize that you shot down our UAV. Can we maybe send you a pallet of cash to make amends?"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-called-off-retaliatory-strike-against-iran-in-last-minute-wsj
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:01 PM »
God, she's an idiot.

Neville Ocasio-Cortez?

Meanwhile, the British have seized an Iranian oil tanker in Gibraltar:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iran-uk-oil-tanker-syria-ambassador-gibraltar-seized-middle-east-a8988346.html

British Royal Marines detained an oil tanker in Gibraltar suspected of carrying oil to Syria in violation of EU sanctions on Thursday – a dramatic step that could escalate confrontation between the West and Iran.

Iran claimed the seizure by Britain was “destructive” and could increase tensions in the Gulf.

The government in the British overseas territory say port and law enforcement agencies, assisted by the Royal Marines, boarded the Grace 1 supertanker on Thursday.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
It seems the drone was downed without a shot being fired, but rather an ATV mounted system, kind of neat.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/07/18/heres-new-marine-corps-weapon-just-destroyed-iranian-drone.html

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
It seems the drone was downed without a shot being fired, but rather an ATV mounted system, kind of neat.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/07/18/heres-new-marine-corps-weapon-just-destroyed-iranian-drone.html

bob

So I have two questions after reading this article:

1.  How do you give multiple calls to a drone telling it to stand down?  Did they know it was an Iranian drone and were calling on an emergency radio frequency or the like monitored by the Iranians?

2.  If you jam a drone, does it immediately nose over and crash, and that is how you destroy them?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »

1.  How do you give multiple calls to a drone telling it to stand down?  Did they know it was an Iranian drone and were calling on an emergency radio frequency or the like monitored by the Iranians?

2.  If you jam a drone, does it immediately nose over and crash, and that is how you destroy them?

If I had to make a SWAG;

1. Multiple calls on Guard (Always monitored emergency supposedly) frequencies plus any known Iranian frequencies.

2. Probably just interrupts the controlling frequency and they lose control and the drone goes it's merry way with no control until it crashes.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2019, 02:40:53 PM »

1. The standard is calls on Guard, and probably Marine VHF 16.  Most military grade UAV's have the capability to receive and relay to the operator normal aviation voice coms.

2. Depends.  There are systems which can hijack UAVs, but that also depends on the strength of the UAV's encryption.  Easiest is to just jam all reception, obviously.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
On #2, there's also RTB. If it loses signal, it just goes home, or to whatever pre-programmed goto lat/long is set. Depending on the UAS of course.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2019, 03:54:09 PM »
They are really pissed off over that tanker in the Med.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
[popcorn]

BREAKING: Iran Has Seized A British Oil Tanker
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2019/07/19/breaking-iran-has-seized-british-flagged-tankers-n2550344

Trump really needs to stop provoking Iran.

And, does formerly Great Britain have any stones left?  I'm gonna bet they don't.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
Trump really needs to stop provoking Iran.

And, does formerly Great Britain have any stones left?  I'm gonna bet they don't.

They still have 22 SAS. So I wouldn't count them out yet...  And for all of Theresa May's fault's, I doubt she wants to go out like Jimmy Carter.   Thatcher is remembered more for the Falklands then anything else she accomplished.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
I don't know if I fault Iran for the first tanker they captured.  From what I've heard it was sketchy in the ownership department and was almost certainly smuggling oil from Iran.

Not sure about the most recent two.

Iran is claiming their drone came home.  I wonder if the "kill" ended up just being an RTB.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 05:57:40 PM »
Two tankers

According to Middle East expert Charles Lister,  a separate oil tanker called the "Mesdar" has also been intercepted by the Iranian government. Moments ago, the IRG confirmed they had taken a second tanker. Lister surmised this would force some sort of response if true.

BREAKING: Iran Has Seized A British Oil Tanker UPDATE: Second Tanker Taken
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2019/07/19/breaking-iran-has-seized-british-flagged-tankers-n2550344
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes