Author Topic: Got wood?  (Read 712 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Got wood?
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:25:47 PM »
Made a trip down to see my uncle with the sawmill this morning.
Bought a little over 100 board foot of yellow pine lumber from him.
Then he asked me if I was interested in some bark edge stuff he "didn't want to fool with".
Probably another 100 bf of mixed yellow pine, white oak, ash and elm. He wouldn't take any money for that stuff.
He also loaded me up with a craftsman 12-1/2" planer and a few old hand planes. The planer may be a boat anchor. It's locked up and the motor and gear box are no longer available but it's worth checking out.
The three hand planes are all Stanly. A #4, #5 and a #7. The #4 and the #7 are fixable but I'm afraid the #5 is beyond hope.

60095082_10211413802820300_5984702632491483136_o by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Got wood?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
So you made that fine-lookin' truck into a redneck special, huh?

And you got it all from Uncle Foister.

I reckon you got yourself some protrudin' wood, there, fer shore.

Now don't you go fergettin' the red flag.  'Round these here now city parts, Smoky loves to give out tickets for protrudin' wood.

Sometimes I reckon the only reason fer shop rags to be red is acause o' that law.

I remember havin' to look up protrudin', yarn ago.  The old lady and I had fun playin' with that word.  I remember that, too.

Terry, 230RN

Original art by Maxime Schyns, credit in properties.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:03:07 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 12:17:30 AM »
Uncle Bob is 85 years old and almost makes Fester look good  =D.
I kind of think he still might be able to work me into the ground.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:21:47 AM »
Is the tailgate bowed down in the middle, or is that just a shadow?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:29:20 AM »
It's the actual shape of the tailgate. Flat across the inside and convex along the outside.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 04:36:14 AM »

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:44:05 PM »
I used to buy planes like those from the flea markets and fix them up. The only real unfixable problem is a cracked sole casting.  New rosewood handles are not hard to make. At the time I did not have a surface plate, so used silicone carbide paper and a flat top of a jointer or table saw to lap them in. A carbide tipped scraper , some bluing and a surface plate would be faster. Something cool about restoring and using a tool our grandfathers would have spent some real coin for- they were not cheap.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:32 AM »
A preliminary date for the Stanly #7 is 1931-1932. The #4 is probably going to be about the same.
I've got one #4 that dates to 1925-1928 but it's beyond recovery.

This what I use to put a date to Stanly planes
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 12:58:03 AM »
That is a cool resource- I will go grab a few planes and see when they were made!