Author Topic: Friday  (Read 801 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Friday
« on: May 15, 2019, 01:08:59 AM »
The new John Wick movie opens on Friday. Is anyone else planning to see it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Friday
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 07:46:46 AM »
I'll catch it on HBO or Amazon Prime. I liked the first one, still haven't seen JW2 in its entirety.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:39:42 AM »
I know there is Wick hate here, but I enjoy the movies as fun escapism. As with 97% of the movies I see, I'll catch it as soon as it hits DVD or streaming.

Side note, I posted about Reeves shooting ability before and mentioned I wish I could shoot as well as him. Now it seems Halle Berry can outshoot me too:

https://youtu.be/xa2RJPrY2Og
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »
I saw that on Twitter.  Pretty cool. 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6146586/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
I am curious how it will turn out.  While both John Wick movies had a lot of very good action, I thought the first one seemed more plausible/believable.  The scene where he used the AR with an EOtech red dot sight was awesome.  The second was good, but had scenes that felt too choreographed like they wanted more Matrix style action (my memory may be fuzzy).  I am curious about where this one will fall. 

That may be two movies I want to see this month.  The new Godzilla movie is coming out the 25th.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741700/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
Brother in law asked me to, but probably not on Friday. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »
I'll likely wait until it's on DVD or streaming. I enjoyed the first two, but as Mech said, the 1st was far more believable had a much better plot and consistency. (Which is more important than believability.)

I loved the action in both, though. I'll be looking forward to the next (last?) one, as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »
I don't go see a lot of movies in the theatre.  I'll possibly get out and see it but most likely won't until it's on demand in some fashion.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:09:12 PM »
I haven't gone to a movie theater since Deadpool. The new theater got Dad bad with his agoraphobia issues, so that was the final hurrah for going to the movies (not that we'd been in years) We had thought about going to The Alamo, but never got around too it.

And to be honest, I'd rather wait and watch stuff at home. It's a lot cheaper, the food is better, a lot more comfortable and I can take bathroom breaks without missing half the movie.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:56 AM »
Last movies I saw in the theater were Solo: A Star Wars Story and Deadpool 2, both last year visiting my friends in Iowa. Before that was Blade Runner 2049.

BR2049 was the only one I was glad that I saw in the theater. The other two? I was glad that I was with my friend and his son, but I really liked watching Deadpool and IT on their home theater in their basement a lot more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 12:04:31 PM »
I know there is Wick hate here, but I enjoy the movies as fun escapism. As with 97% of the movies I see, I'll catch it as soon as it hits DVD or streaming.

Side note, I posted about Reeves shooting ability before and mentioned I wish I could shoot as well as him. Now it seems Halle Berry can outshoot me too:

https://youtu.be/xa2RJPrY2Og

I saw the first one.  I did "get it"  when the criminals killed his dog;  I'd go on a warpath too.  But otherwise I just couldn't sympathize much with John Wick.  Escapism?  Yea,  I don't mind "jaded" heroes,  but Wick is not a hero in my book.   That's just my two cents.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
"Wick is not a hero in my book."

Absolutely not. At best, he's a vaguely likely anti-hero, or straight up slightly sympathetic villain.

And yeah, *expletive deleted*ck with my dog, I'm coming after you, and I'm bringing hell with me.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
He's clearly not a hero. But he's a bad guy* who's killing worse guys.

Therefore, I cheer for him.

*Who tried to give up being a bad guy until they pulled him back in. So, still bad, but trying for redemption? Seems to me there are a number of movies like that- Unforgiven, A History of Violence, etc...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »

*Who tried to give up being a bad guy until they pulled him back in. So, still bad, but trying for redemption? Seems to me there are a number of movies like that- Unforgiven, A History of Violence, etc...

Which, IMHO, makes him a more interesting character anyway. If you think about it, most of the best characters are the anti hero's.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
The new John Wick movie opens on Friday. Is anyone else planning to see it?

Did you enjoy it?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »

Tried and mostly true formula for success. Bad guy killing worse guys. Much like Conner and Murphy did when they decided that their lot in life was to run around Boston and kill criminals who couldn't get convicted in the courts.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
Did you enjoy it?

I got involved in a project and didn't go. I'll probably go tonight.

I did watch a couple of Youtoob videos of Halle Berry training for the film with Keanu at a range. Considering that she [allegedly] had never fired a gun, she's GOOOOOD. And she actually appeared to be enjoying it, so maybe there's a Hollywood star who won't be gun-wielding on-screen and anti-gun off-screen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design